Ranger Knives RD series

Mike,
My RD7 is not a great whittler due to the rather thick edge, but it's one fantastic chopper! I was very pleasantly suprised by how easy it went through both fresh and dry wood.
I have brought a small folder for whittling when I have used the RD7 in the woods, but I pretty much always do as very few knives can perform both tasks well!
But I'd imagine that after Justin has thinned the edges down a bit, the whittling abilities should be better!
I think it needs to be said, that my RD7 is one of the most comfortable choppers I have ever used and it just feels right in the hand. It's just blade heavy enough for serious chopping and because of the choil, it's still able to handle detail work.
Jerry's original design is great and Justin really made it work well in these knives. And they are almost "underpriced" as well! :cool:

Bo

I just purchased a RAK from Brigade Quartermaster. Very excited! It's my Merry-Christmas-to-me present. I purchased this knife as a general use/tactical fixed blade for both the field and when I'm training with the Fort Myer Special Reaction Team I'm on. It's a bit overkill for SRT *shrugs*;)...What can I say, I wanted a big knife. It's more for use in the field, in a deployed environment.

RangerJD - Thanks for answering my horizontal carry question, BTW. I just noticed that on their website, they say that the black isn't available...Have you started production on the black blade yet? Because that's what I ordered...Thanks again,

Warthog

Thank you everyone for a very interesting thread.

I just ordered an RD7, and am looking forward to it making its way to Australia.

Hopefully it will enjoy hanging out with my Busses, Swamp Rats, and Chris Reeves.

David

Bo

Great picture. Thanks for posting that one up. :D

Warthog

Congrats on getting the RAK it should work out well for you. I have been trying to get in touch with BQ so hopefully I will know something soon and be able to relay it to you.

Thank you all again for the kind words.

rgc

as I don't quite get when each part of the process begins and ends. I was just wondering if you did the heat treating or did Jerry do it? Additionally, what does triple tempered mean?

Thanks in advance for any and all info, these look like great knives for the jack.

rgc

rgc

It is a good question so no appology is needed. Jerry has no part in the production. The only part that Jerry played was selling the blanks. The heat treat is done by me. Triple temper means that you run the blades at the temper temperature three seperate times. Some steels respond better when double or triple tempered. This in effect makes the steel "better" at edge retention, durability and flexability. Hope that helps.

Voodoo

Tactical knives just did a review of the RD9. It is in the latest issue. There are a couple more reviews to come. Porcupine has been putting one through it's paces so you may want to ask him his thoughts. Hope that helps.

I ordered a 7 inch one last month it reached me over here in England inside a week. Justin is great to deal with he answered all my emails quickly and yes they are a bargain mine cost less than my 9 inch becker. Yes, the edge is a little thick but it does feel like you could hack your way through anything without damaging it. And the sheath is much better than on the becker knives sheathes as it's better stitched and the knife doesn't rattle about.

arthurthemoth

Excellent pictures. Glad that you are enjoying the knife. Thank you again for putting up the pics.

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
In the custom section, there is a blade about 15" or so long, possibly longer. How much did that run ($) and what is the grind and steel.

-Cliff

I have a question, if i order one right now, will i get one with the new "thinner" blades and "rougher" micarta slabs?

if not, what's the time frame for these changes?

i've already decided to get one, it's just a matter of when the new changes are made :D

RangerJD said:
Voodoo

Tactical knives just did a review of the RD9. It is in the latest issue. There are a couple more reviews to come. Porcupine has been putting one through it's paces so you may want to ask him his thoughts. Hope that helps.
Justin,
I'll do a short review of mine in a few days! I just need to get over a /(%¤# flu first! :grumpy:
Voodoo, you'r welcome to shoot me a mail!

Bo

Cliff Stamp

The one in the custom section was 5/32nds 1095 with a very short hollow grind. If I remember right that one was about $150-$200 Hope that helps.

madfast

The changes are already in effect. The edges are thinner and the micarta has more of a rough surface now so they should be good to go.

The Porcupine

Thanks. Can't wait to see what you come up with and I am looking forward to seeing what destrucion you have brought about with it. :eek: :D

powells85

It is gone. :D You should have it on Friday. Enjoy.

RangerJD said:
powells85

It is gone. :D You should have it on Friday. Enjoy.
Now is there anything you can do about making Christmas roll around any faster? :D

Edit: Just wondering how much of the making you do on the knives? Thanks :)

Powells85

Sorry can't make Christmas get here any faster. I am glad it is still a ways off since I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet. :eek:

Here is a basic run down of what I do. Order the steel have it lazer or water jet cut to profile. Grind the bevels into the blades and clean up the profile. Heat treat them here or if the batch is big enough send it to commercial heat treater. Once back clean up fit the handle (if applicable) then powder coat them in house. Handle them up and do the sharpening and a final before they go out the door. So aside from cutting the profiles on the production models everything else is done by me. :yawn: Hope that helps.

Thanks :) Just curious as to how much of it you did. I still don't know if this is considered custom or production or semi custom or...? :rolleyes:

I'm just excited about getting this sweet knife. Once I get it, maybe I'll throw a picture up of the one I worked on and your's together to show the difference of the two... lol