Ranger Knives RD series

Hey Justin, I was just wondering if you would do a custom job based off the RD series with a higher flat grind? I really have a feeling I'm going to love this knife and I love the high flat grind on my Becker BK7, but I think you could produce a better knife. Thanks again for everything :)

Mike

powells85

I have the technology to make that happen. :D I have done a couple with flat grinds and they seem to work out well. Thanks for the compliment and your confidence.

Pics of the flat grind version possible?

Hmm... i'm already putting the pieces together to order a custom flat ground RD7 with 3V, hehehe...

oh yeah, 5.5 sounds good too!

3V :p

I will see if leatherman can put up the pictures of the RD with a flat grind that I did for him. Thanks again for all the feedback.

RangerJD said:
powells85

I have the technology to make that happen. :D I have done a couple with flat grinds and they seem to work out well. Thanks for the compliment and your confidence.
:eek:...me like that :D !

The smaller knife sounds good. I think considering the size of the other rds the shorter the better. 4.5-5
Also, I don't know what the protocol is but I wonder if based on this thread and a few others if Ranger knives couldn't at some point make its way into the manufacturer's section?
Justin can you do the E hawk in the tan coating you offer for your fbs?

edgetrip

Thanks for the feedback on the RD series. I am leaning toward the 5" blade. If I get much shorter than that I am worried about the balance being thrown off. Then again I may just have to do some experimenting and see what happens. :D

As for Ranger Knives making its way over to the Manufactures Forum that is up to the powers that be.

I can do the tan coating on just about anything. Although it doesn't hold as well as the wrinkle black powder coat. I am still trying to find a source for a good tan coating that I don't have to order 2000lbs at a time. :eek:

Thanks again for the support and feedback.

dwayne2.jpg

Finally found the picture of the flat ground RD 7. Look forward to your thoughts and feedback. If anyone has questions on it's performance just ask Leatherman.

I keep looking at the Fehrmans in 3V, however, the price is just a little more than I can come up with. At a slightly lower price point then the Fehrmans (hey, you have to make money an 3V cost a little more too) I would be very interested. So should everyone in the Busse and Rat area as well heat treated 3V should be up to par. Right now I am looking at on of the RD series for my go heavy knife, it all depends on if I get a Dozier for Christmas or not. If I get the Dozier the go heavy knife will have to wait. That may not be a bad thing if you come out with a 3V model. Once again, nice looking knives at a great price.

rgc

rgc

Well I hope that you get the blade you want for Christmas. :D Thanks again for the feedback on the 3V. It seems that is the steel of choice with most people right now. I have been pricing it and seein what I could do the RD series in even if it is a "limited" run. Thanks again.

My RD7 hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already thinking about which RD with a flat grind in 3V I'll buy to keep it company.

Justin, what do you think the price of a flat ground RD6 or RD7 in 3V might be?

David

That flat ground version looks nice the only thing i would change (or want on a custom version) is the size of the ricasso. maybe it's just me but that ricasso looks a bit big to me. i'd prefer it to be a bit smaller, such as the grind line being in the middle of the choil.

what does everybody else think?

i'd like to see a run of flat ground RDs in 3V with a smaller ricasso.

oh yeah what finish is on that blade? no crinkle coat, i like it! looks good, but satin 3V, now were talking... :D

RangerJD said:
Finally found the picture of the flat ground RD 7. Look forward to your thoughts and feedback. If anyone has questions on it's performance just ask Leatherman.
Just one question.............
Whatta ya waiting for? Get griding, man! That looks awesome! :D

Bo

Sounds like I need to get to work. :eek: I have priced the 3V to do the RD series in now all I have to do is make sure that it isn't going to send the price of the blade through the roof. Hopefully I can keep them affordable but the way it is looking they are going to be about double of what they are now.

Thanks for the feedback on the blade. I can move the grind back in to the middle of the choil with out any problems. The handles on that one are roughed up pretty good. I finally had a chance to update my site with new pictures of the RD series so you can get a better idea of the handles from there.

Thanks again for all of the feedback.....now it is to the grinder :eek: :D

i think the price for the basic 5160 RDs are amazing, doubling those prices for 3V is STILL an amazing price if you consider what everybody else is pricing their 3V blades at. if you can under cut their prices, even by a little, with your quality blades, they'll fly off the shelf! but not too fast i hope, i need my 3V fix as well :D

a LOT of those who work with 3V are backlogged like crazy. rinaldi, snody, hossom, fehrman just to name a few. so who can i get my 3V fix from? Justin! c'mon get a grinding!!!

Hello Justin,

Double the price for flat ground blades in 3V sounds fine to me. Start grinding!

David

All I can say is WOW! Sounds like I really need to get moving here. With everything else that is going on I will see what I can do to slide this project in. Hopefully I will be able to get something going and have some finished blades after the first of the year. Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.

Back