"Rare" Schrade BIN $749.99

I believe it o.k. to link to a closed auction. so here goes: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180232954153&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008
now whadya think 'bout that ! roland

I think he fell for a rare prototype story, and tried to pass the story off to others. Likely he paid more than $135.00 for the knife. This thread below discussed it some. I think it was a knife that was developed, and the shut down occured before they fully manufactured it. I've seen some replicas with no serial number and no shield for $69.00 and 129.00

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548579

what is the signifigance of "000" on this knife ?
did Schrade actually develop prototypes and then put 000 on them ? roland

G'Day Roland, I dont often email sellers these days when I see outrageous claims being made however I did contact that seller and told him there were 2 identical with 000 serial numbers on Aussie Ebay complete with box and bling, and his knife was more than possibly not a 1 of 1 and it could be misleading to state it is.He told me it was """similar""" to those knives and of course did not print my email question on his auction site.
I will state the auction number for one of the others not to draw attention to it as a current auction and I have no connection to it whatsoever, but under the rules I believe we are able to participate in genuine discussion/merits of Schrade knives and this question of 000 serial numbers comes up so often with sellers/owners believing they must be 1 of 1 . Some state they were photographic models for posters/flyers There are so many of the same models with 000 there must have been a lot of individual photos taken!!!
Ebay # 350013250032. Hoo Roo

Wanna buy a 000 stamp??? Only $749.00 plus shipping. Garonteed to be a juan of a kind!:D

i would still like to know with these knives: was the 000 put on in the Schrade factory ? and if so, why ?? roland

It would be nice if someone from Schrade was around to give the definite answer. If you look at old threads with 000 or 0000, some of the theories have been "salesman samples", or "photo samples" of knives soon to go into production. These descriptions might be a better term than "prototype". It appears it was used for both examples.

I think it is safe to say these Cobalt Blue 897's marked as LTD were not a knife that actually made it it to market, or we would have seen some with regular numbers. Unless there were some that got lost in the shuffle, and are still hiding somewhere, we probably won't.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHRADE-USA-GEN...ryZ48820QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The closed auction above states from the seller (looks to me like an unfinished piece):

This knife was an absolutely remarkable find!!! It was dug out of one of the knife bins that was left after the Schrade factory closed... I can't find any information on this knife.... I'm not sure if Schrade ever sold this knife??? The knife did not come with a box, but is in mint condition. The pictures of this knife do not come close to doing it justice. It is an absolutely beautiful knife, that would make a great addition to anyone's collection.

i agree, the meaning of 000 or 0000 so far is assumptions or guesses (if you hang out in BRL forum you soon learn this is a serious "offence"). explanation from a former employee or perhaps factory records or minutes of meetings, are need to KNOW. roland

Thawk, That bin contained quite a number of "remarkable finds" for that seller like the 10 odd black handled 153 Golden Spikes he previously sold which were each an individual 'remarkable find' appearantly each time he put his hand in that 'Special Bin" Even more remarkable is how absolute mint knives suffer no damage as they are all flung into a bin and even more remarkable how the person throwing them into the bin saw no value in them in the first place as they are invariably 'remarkably' rare.Personally I would like to buy that empty bin to store all my knives in pristine condition and it is also remarkably bottomless.
I just purchased some Jigged blue Schrades at their more correct values from Del Anderson I think they are quite remarkably common as I also purchased a PH2 Jigged blue for similar price.Completed Ebay #110238841517 and #110238842221 .
The Aussie seller I quoted in previous post has sold masses of the 000 blue jigged Schrades in all variations and they still have their boxes and bling so perhaps remarkably they were all thrown into another bin. Caveat Emptor..'Buyer Beware'.
I have 000 Schrades which were part of Special Orders for example Walkill State Prison 50th Anniversary Scrim Barlow 000 a very small production run and I believe it was used to show the person ordering what the finished product would look like. It also had imbellishments that the finished knives did not have probably to save cost. Hoo Roo

Yep, that particular sellers bin has been in the process of being emtied since I started collecting. Most of them he sells are expensive oddballs. He ran jade green 285UH trappers with no shield for a long time. For sure him and the aussie you pointed out have a "BUYER BEWARE" sign stamped on their forehead.

Hey guys, here's a pic that I had posted elsewhere, but figured I'd post it here as well for those of you who haven't seen it. It appears to be the entire set of blue jigged knives, and was sold on Ebay shortly after the close. What has interested me lately is the case that it came in. I've seen a few sets of jigged bone knives that have come up in the recent past that were housed in the same wood case (with different color backing). They had the same style jigging, although I believe one was brown and one was a dark green. Also some of the knives were different, I believe one set offered a 15OT instead of the PH2. I wonder if these sets were a part of a limited edition offering that was in the works, kind of in the style of the of the old "Classics" offerings. Just another rambling guess, but who knows.
34t4rj7.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Schrade stamped 00 or more zeros on knives at the factory to signify that they were prototypes.

Schrade stamped 00 or more zeros on knives at the factory to signify that they were prototypes.

That is probably how it always was up until Schrade closed it's doors. Since then so many of the same knives have appeared on the market with either 00 000 or even 0000 stampings on them that credibility for them being true prototypes has been washed away. I'm sure there are collectors that would still buy them but not at rocket high prices.

Rusty1

That is probably how it always was up until Schrade closed it's doors. Since then so many of the same knives have appeared on the market with either 00 000 or even 0000 stampings on them that credibility for them being true prototypes has been washed away.

Schrade kept the zero stamped prototypes in there own stash, they werent normally sold to the public, after there closing I would expect to see 20 to 30 years of this stash released on the market for a limited time, consider also that they often made up to 10 of one type marked with the zeros before production approval. This would easily account for a great number on the market at or after Schrades closure.

Ideally it would be better to purchase closer to the time of Schrades closure, although I have no idea if sellers are being deliberately fraudulent but I personally would not go to the trouble because apart from the dishounesty involved I have seen them sell for the same price as a standard Schrade knife too many times on ebay. Secondly, even the slightest irregularity, misplacement or significant size differential on one of the zeros would reveal that it is likely a fraud.

I do believe the vast majority to be genuine but of course I cant possibly prove it either way. The COAs are much more suspect than the zero stamps in my opinion as I have know them to be false repeatedly. I cant say the same for the zeros???

In another 5 to 10 years I doupt there will be any of these just search under different knife manafacturers on US ebay.

Heres a Camillus 0001, I have little doupt that it is geniune they, sell for $200+ without the 0001.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=280216764265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Quote "Schrade stamped 00 or more zeros on knives at the factory to signify that they were prototypes."
is this statement an assumption or fact ? what evidence do you have to back this up ? roland

The info is from a friend who is long time experienced collector and seller of Schrades a member of a Schrade club that meats every month and who has been to the Schrade factory.
Its definitely not an assumption.
Regards Tim

Has anyone seen a genuine Schrade Flyer with a disclosed number on the knife other than 000? I havnt done my homework on this question however I am certain I have seen a number of flyers with the 000 only, which may be an indicator of their true purpose.Probably produced a number of them for the photographic session?
The word prototype is the most overused least understood word in knife collecting e.g. its a prototype of the prototype which eventually became the real prototype but then they made a final change and produed the final prototype to the series....why on earth would you number all these prototypes 000 and why go to the trouble of numbering them at all? Hoo Roo

Tim, my question was not meant to be rude in any way. i "hang out" quite a bit in the BRL forum (VERY educational) and Mr. Levine is very adamant about shooting down assumptions and accepting only facts that can be proved.
at first it annoyed me, but i have come to understand that the knife world is full of deceit and subterfuge and this is further complicated by peoples' assumptions that get passed around enough to become "facts".
often these assumptions are most reasonable, based on what IS known, but surprisingly, are still often inncorrect.
seeing "000" on a knife in a Schrade flyer certainly qualifies as "fact".
another way would be to hear from a former Schrade employee who could explain this system of "0s" and verify it's usage.
so far it still seems somewhat murky to me. roland

Back