1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ratweiler CG: thick or thin?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by redbeardrob, Oct 18, 2015.

Thick or thin?

1. 1/4"

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3/16"

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. redbeardrob

redbeardrob

May 25, 2011
    So with the recent announcement of the Ratweiler offering from the Swamp coming in two different thicknesses, I'm wondering which does everyone prefer and why?

2. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    3/16.
    All my other rats are 3/16, it's a good feeling weight to me in the Rucki and I feel like it would balance well for someone of my build.

Tall, lean, lanky.

Plus I'll have other thicker blades by then if I need something beefy.
    I'm looking for sharp not smash, and yes I know you can get screaming edges on the fattest of hogs and rats, but to me 3/16 is as much as I need.

3. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Thick! It just holds up better and doesn't bend or twist as much going through different materials. Also adds weight for chopping.

An extra 16th of an inch isn't enough to be detrimental to me. The extra weight is negligible and it won't make it bind cutting anything.

4. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    1/4". Less likely to bind up batoning in a big piece of wood + I personally prefer more heft up front for any chopping. :thumbup:

5. J_mcrane

J_mcrane

Dec 7, 2013
    I think 3/16 is plenty thick enough. It helps the balance as well.

6. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    +1. Heck, if it ain't 1/4 inch it ain't a real Ratweiler. :D

7. Swamp_Hog

Swamp_Hog

Mar 3, 2013
    I have the LE, so I'll probably grab a 1/4, and maybe another 3/16. That LE has one of the best handles I have ever had. Honestly, 3/16 should be plenty of blade for me, but I'll snag a 1/4 just in case.

8. redbeardrob

redbeardrob

May 25, 2011
    Thanks for the great responses gents, keep 'em coming! :thumbup:

9. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    How is "both" not an option?

10. redbeardrob

redbeardrob

May 25, 2011
    Thar' can only be one! :D No really though, I'd like to know everyone's preference on blade thickness in this size range. If I gave the option of both, I'm pretty sure that would dominate.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  11. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    If the blade was 5" or less I'd definitely go with the 3/16", or preferably much thinner. I just think the size of this blade will be very cool in 1/4" thickness. :thumbup:

12. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    If it were ffg I would say thick, but since it has a saber grind I will be going thin.

13. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    Oh no doubt the 1/4 versions will be beastly!
    Maybe a bit too much for me to use when tired.

14. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    I have the Ratweiler in 1/4" SR-101 and I love it.
    Nothing wrong with 3/16" but on this knife, no, not for me.
    For me, that would be like owning a Corvette with skinny tires. :eek:

15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Yeah... I have a terror monkey version and it feels a little thin in hand by comparison to the originals. Mine will need to be 1/4 !!!

16. Thrill

Thrill

Sep 9, 2010
    1/4". Bigger is better.

17. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I have to agree that 3/16 seems to be all that's necessary in my collection. I wouldn't have thought so until holding a kin blade of that thickness. It's really a respectable balance of strength and weight.

18. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Ahoy! If there can be only one then I choose 3/16. My Taz Rat is .22 and its great and my 1311 is my most used tactical Gardening blade and its 3/16 sooooooooooo.....3/16 its is

I have two TRASH and some Battle Grades on order depending on price I may order two sizes, but we will see on Wednesday

19. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I have a chopwieler so was thinking 3/16 plus it will be interesting to compare it to my skinny ash that's 3/16

20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    As I said over in The Swamp.... I am buying it in 1/4 as they have not yet offered it in 1/2 ... ;)