Ratweiler CG: thick or thin?

Thick or thin?

• 1/4"

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 3/16"

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
So with the recent announcement of the Ratweiler offering from the Swamp coming in two different thicknesses, I'm wondering which does everyone prefer and why?

3/16.
All my other rats are 3/16, it's a good feeling weight to me in the Rucki and I feel like it would balance well for someone of my build.

Tall, lean, lanky.

Plus I'll have other thicker blades by then if I need something beefy.
I'm looking for sharp not smash, and yes I know you can get screaming edges on the fattest of hogs and rats, but to me 3/16 is as much as I need.

Thick! It just holds up better and doesn't bend or twist as much going through different materials. Also adds weight for chopping.

An extra 16th of an inch isn't enough to be detrimental to me. The extra weight is negligible and it won't make it bind cutting anything.

1/4". Less likely to bind up batoning in a big piece of wood + I personally prefer more heft up front for any chopping. :thumbup:

Thick! It just holds up better and doesn't bend or twist as much going through different materials. Also adds weight for chopping.

An extra 16th of an inch isn't enough to be detrimental to me. The extra weight is negligible and it won't make it bind cutting anything.

+1. Heck, if it ain't 1/4 inch it ain't a real Ratweiler. :D

I have the LE, so I'll probably grab a 1/4, and maybe another 3/16. That LE has one of the best handles I have ever had. Honestly, 3/16 should be plenty of blade for me, but I'll snag a 1/4 just in case.

How is "both" not an option?

Thar' can only be one! :D No really though, I'd like to know everyone's preference on blade thickness in this size range. If I gave the option of both, I'm pretty sure that would dominate.

Last edited:
If the blade was 5" or less I'd definitely go with the 3/16", or preferably much thinner. I just think the size of this blade will be very cool in 1/4" thickness. :thumbup:

If it were ffg I would say thick, but since it has a saber grind I will be going thin.

Oh no doubt the 1/4 versions will be beastly!
Maybe a bit too much for me to use when tired.

Thar' can only be one! :D No really though, I'd like to know everyone's preference on blade thickness in this size range. If I gave the option of both, I'm pretty sure that would dominate.
I have the Ratweiler in 1/4" SR-101 and I love it.
Nothing wrong with 3/16" but on this knife, no, not for me.
For me, that would be like owning a Corvette with skinny tires. :eek:

Yeah... I have a terror monkey version and it feels a little thin in hand by comparison to the originals. Mine will need to be 1/4 !!!

I have to agree that 3/16 seems to be all that's necessary in my collection. I wouldn't have thought so until holding a kin blade of that thickness. It's really a respectable balance of strength and weight.

Ahoy! If there can be only one then I choose 3/16. My Taz Rat is .22 and its great and my 1311 is my most used tactical Gardening blade and its 3/16 sooooooooooo.....3/16 its is

I have two TRASH and some Battle Grades on order depending on price I may order two sizes, but we will see on Wednesday

I have a chopwieler so was thinking 3/16 plus it will be interesting to compare it to my skinny ash that's 3/16

As I said over in The Swamp.... I am buying it in 1/4 as they have not yet offered it in 1/2 ... ;)

Back