1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ratweiler CG: thick or thin?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by redbeardrob, Oct 18, 2015.

1. 1/4"

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3/16"

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
  2. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Better make up your mind quick...

LAST CALL FOR THE RATWEILER, ALMOST GONE!!!

3. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    OK, OK! I'm in. 1/4" black canvas/tanker grey to match my RMD.

4. redbeardrob

redbeardrob

May 25, 2011
    I couldn't decide... so I bought both!!

5. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    That option must be nice

6. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    Say Heah Guys and Gals, I got the 1/4" but I asked Trissy to have it thinned down, and the Guys did a great job, I got a thinner edge which to me is simply tit's, beautiful. Infact I got it three days ago from Santa that delivered it in the Brown Truck. I now have a Seahorse Stable and a Lightning Bolt Stable, I teamed my RatWeiler with my Rodent Solution which my RatManDu and my Modde Rodent 6 which I had thinned down and the top gaurd taken off and now it look's like a beefy Ratmandu on steriods which they did a excellent job with it too. I can pick and choose any knife from their stable to what ever carry I want. My Lightning Bolt Stable has the Rodent 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 and I use my Rodent Rucki as my Summer Long Knife that I can chop and baton it and with the choil I don't have to reach for a smaller knife to finish what I'm doing at the time it's great. Even though I have the RatWeiler and the Rodent 7, One of my Fav's is the Rodent 7 and my Rodent 4 combo because, one the Rodent 7 is more controlling and usually I still carry a axe and saw anyhow, usually on extended trips. And I also wear a neck knife like my Mora 510 or my new Mora Exclusive Forest # 277 which is a pimped fancy version of the Classic but with a laminated blade. Like it was mentioned a 1/6" isn't a breaker on a large knife that your going to chop and baton with. Yeah, I got the q/4" thinned down at the flat of the edge and no regrets.

7. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    So they thinned it down behind the edge bevel? Or did they just grind/sharpen the edge bevel more acutely?

8. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I hope Paul'ie responds, but in his posts here we've only ever seen him revive old threads and leave after a post. We keep asking him to start new threads so that there can be some conversation. I just don't think he will ever check back in on this thread to respond to you. I hope I'm wrong, but going on evidence and all that....

But to your question, for me the 'thinned out' edge has been done on the secondary bevel. I have not seen the primary grind taken thinner. It would be pretty sweet to request a specific grind straight from the shop for a fee. I would opt for a bunch of those, and have opted for a lot of ffg in the past to narrow it up. But I'm talking about prescription grinds, 'X' degree primary with a 'Y' degree secondary and 'Z' thickness at the merge.

9. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    Roger all. I just spent about 90 minutes, maybe a couple hours, thinning out the edge on my 3/16". Even with the reportedly thinner edges that these are coming with, it is still obtuse enough to cut nails, I believe. Much thicker than I need. So I brought my edge back, knocking off the shoulders and setting a new edge bevel. It's kinda scary now. Just like I like them. If I could have gotten that on special request, I'd be kicking myself. It isn't hard to do yourself, but takes time when you're going without any power-anything.

10. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Hmm, if they are doing these kinds of special requests, I wonder if I can get some snake skin micarta on my Busse FSH. :rolleyes:

11. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    I dunno, that

12. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    Say Heah FloridaBlade, I dunno about thst, But they do offer options you select from. But I had a very good modification done to my Rodent 6, I didn't like the Tactical look on the Rodent 6 for what I wanted to use it for. I wanted a Trio that I could feel very comfortable when I Trio Carried, (a belt knife, a hatchet and a saw) for when I Scout new area's out. Man vs. Nature, I have alot of respect fkr. Anyhow, I had the Rodent 6 modified, I had it thinned down from .265 to less than a 1/4" that I knew would raise the lilies edge on the Saber Grind which I also had convexed. and I also had the top gaurd taken off, Now my Modde Rodent 6 looks like a beefy RatManDu on steriods, They do great work at their Custom Shop. I mean Excellent work, The knife came out spec on and you couldn't tell it was a Rodent 6 unless you knew what to look for. That area where the blended the top gaurd off actually allows my hand more chopping action, better than my Fallkniven A-1 which is almost the same size knife. And I even like the steel better because it's tough and more forgiving when I hit a stone or ground when I baton, Sure you shouldn't hit tge ground, But stuff happens. Yeah, I will recommend their Custom Shop especially because of my experience with it, And the prices are very reasonable. Just contact Trissy at InfoSwampRat.com (or get the e-mail address from contact us on their website) she's a wonderful lady to work with.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

13. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    I knew that would raise the relief edge that's what I meant to write, which actually is what I wanted better. These cigars I blame. Holding a cigar between my finger grrrrrrrrr

14. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    The Custom Shop is not currently accepting new orders so you will have to wait to have any work done.

15. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    SAY Heah FloridaBade, Although one of my Fav's 2knife carry is my Rodent 7 and my Rodent 4 because the 7 is still a very beefy knife that chops fairly well, But with the choil, I can still use it as a smaller knife. The Rodent 4 is just a freak knife that I also can choke up on it for my fine derail work like traps hanging pot holders for fire and it can be used as a decent camp knife. Both are very good as far as being able to have great control on then because of their size and their geometry, well ballenced, and still robust, made the Swamp Rat way. But I alway's wanted a RatWeiler, when I found out they made a short run, I knew I had to have one. The problem was which thickness, Yeah, that was a problem. I know if the apex is thin a knife slices better, But I like a robust knife especially when I go out to explore or scout a area out. I also love a afternoon delight, which sometimes it's just a hot cup of coffee on the open fire and a baked potato or I could make a instant Rice-a-Roni spiced up to taste and steak or Italian sausage or noodles and cabbage with kobasi. You know something simple but good. So when I first got my set up for a 3knife carry, I started out with my RatManDu which is still one of my all time Fav's. I knew right away I needed a chopper, so I got the Rodent 9, then the Rodent Solution completed the 3knife carry I use to carry at one time. On extended trips trips I use to take up to a 4knife carry, not on me, but attached to my backpack. But I do still carry the larger knife on me. If the largest knife is a 8"-9:+ blade, I like to carry a 7" knife on me. I cinsider a 7"+ knife a good starting lenght for a survival knife. I've been practicing how to use a large knife as a one tool option. I've been doing that with my Ka-Bar Johnson Adventure Potbelly, on my Rodent 9, BK-9 or my Gen2SP-51 in those sizes, I tie a long lanyard over my elbow and around my bisep then I just hold the tip, The closer your hand to the edge, the better your control. Then it becomes second nature, But in the beginning the long lanyard supports the weight of the the larger knife. But I really like a 1/4 because I had intentions of chopping with it since I knew I was going to team it with my Rodent Solution because the handle style was a very good March for those two knives also. A win, win situation. I could easily get away with carrying my Wood Craft Collins Axe with the leather harness and my Wicked Tough Saw which would be on my survival belt and a necessity pouch, the RatWeiler on it, The axe over my sholder and the rest of my C's in my backpack, even if it's just a slingpack. I could go real lite with just the RatWeiler, and my Wicked Tough Saw and my Mora 510 as my neck knife and my necessities pouch ad my canteen. This is a great time of the year for it, nice and not too cool. Infact I just had a beauty made just for a small carry to scout in, I went with a Battle Horse Attitude I had it slightly vurved, and the drop point loeered, It looks awesome and I could put it up against any of those high end bushcraft knivrs. I like a longer blade and mine is 5 3/8ths" and 3/16th's" thick. I also had a high scandi put on it with a convex secondary and a deep dangler with a square bottom leather sheath, I got it to match my smaller Himalayan Imports M-43 Khukuri which has a white bone handke, My new Attitude has a white handle and another matching set fir scouting and going lite. I don't need a axe, so I just add my saw.I can get away with just a Haversack for the other C's. Yeah, I really enjoy nature and once you set yourself up with the basic gear, Man you can have a whole lot of fun cheap.

16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Sweet Hezuz..... sentences and paragraphs mate...sentences and paragraphs.....

17. AZTimT

AZTimT The Stripetition Finish Guy Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2009
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    [​IMG] :D

18. The Last Confederate

The Last Confederate

Aug 29, 2015
    Anyone who owns, or has experience with, both kinds able to compare / contrast them in terms of handling / performance, etc?

19. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I have a thin one and my friend has the thicker version. Thicker has more mass for chopping but the thinner cuts better and is slightly lighter. I like the thin stock personally

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

20. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    I have both. Both came with the typical thick edge grind: sharp enough to shave, but too thick to slice anything. Primary bevel rises equally to the full blade thickness at the same distance away from the edge, so the thin one is more acute behind the edge. I have used both before sharpening, the thin cut and chopped better, but I don't chop anything thicker than maybe 2 to 3 inches in diameter. If it is larger than that, I use a saw. Any saw. I don't know if the thicker one would chop better on something larger than 3 inches in diameter.

I have now sharpened the thin one. I took the edge back more acute, so it is quite slicey. It chops better now, and is an all-around better knife than the thick one, although I haven't reprofiled the edge of the thick one, nor even sharpened it. I keep it around because I intend to eventually reprofile the edge to make it work better. It also makes a good sharpened pry-bar if I ever have to cut/chop/hack/beat my way out of my house through a wall instead of through a window or door. Plus, it's a Ratweiler. I DO like it... just not as much as the skinny one, and it doesn't get used as much.