1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 20 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker BO734 Urban Trapper Cocobolo, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday May 18!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, May 19 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Ratweiler CG: thick or thin?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by redbeardrob, Oct 18, 2015.

1. 1/4"

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3/16"

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. redbeardrob

redbeardrob

May 25, 2011
    Hmmm it was even for a while but the fatties seem to have taken the lead!! :p

2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Chubby chaser here. :D ;) The more recent LE just doesn't feel quite right having owned one of the originals.

3. TheMtnMan

TheMtnMan

Feb 11, 2015
    Can anybody tell me what blade length it will be please ?
    (Kind of new here)

4. TheMtnMan

TheMtnMan

Feb 11, 2015
    Does CG means the blade will be coated ? Or is there a chance it might be Satin like Ratwailer LE ?

5. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Same basic specs as the LE with a 7.5" blade, but epoxy powder-coated (yes, that's what CG means) and either 0.19" or 0.25" thick.

6. knife chop

knife chop

Feb 11, 2014
    Now I'm wondering what color combo is should get?

7. StealthCaliber

StealthCaliber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2006
    something g10... can't always get rats with g10 without special ordering. save the usual black paper, black linen or tan canvas for something else. Black or tanker blade + black/tan g10 or Black and blue.... then again maybe moss green + black/whatever g10 "pulls hair out"

8. StealthCaliber

StealthCaliber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2006
    and to the original ops question 1/4"... why get a weenerish 3/16 when you can get a 1/4 like the originals? :thumbup: especially on a wide blade "unless it's a machete"

9. adrock1978

adrock1978

May 30, 2009
    I think your answer depends on what you'll be using the knife for. I know that's a cop out answer, but I think people imagine using one knife for everything, so they want it to be as extreme as possible. I don't personally consider a 7.5" blade a chopper, so I have no use for a knife that length and that thick. I want my choppers to be 9" minimum. 10"+ would be even better.

10. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    Agreed. It's a camp knife, not a true chopper. But a camp knife should be able to chop decently if not ideally. And the extra strength and weight will come in handy if someone needs to chop with it. So my choice would be 1/4" thick . . . even though it's saber ground.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  11. Hooker

Hooker

Jun 3, 2009
    Still not certain what thickness I want. I tend to prefer thicker blades, but I have a gen. 1 Ratweiler, so may try 3/16 to mix things up a bit. Ultimately it depends on price though, if I order one. Been trying to quit the knife a month club.
    ETA I should just wait for the re release of the Chopweiler!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  12. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I haven't bought a busse in awhile, but I might have to grab this since I've always wanted one. I'm thinking that with the saber grind, 3/16 will be more than strong enough.

13. Maqua

Maqua Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2005
    I gotta go with the .25" as the original Ratweiler is what lured me into the Busse-kin spider web. I couldn't find one back then so I went with a Battle Mistress to tide me over. Been cash poor ever since.

14. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Gold Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I voted 3/16", but now am not so sure having read worldwood's description of the comp-cutters...
    Thick/heavy for more power or thin/light for less fatigue and more agility...
    And do i really need a knife between the RMD & R9?

How long from order placement to fulfillment? If I buy both on credit, I could sell the one I like less before payment is due...

15. D-Ranger

D-Ranger

Oct 26, 2008
    I voted skinny since I ordered more of those this time around...

Arnt

16. ktk

ktk

Jan 15, 2005
    To have a clear picture, can anyone do picture comparison between 1/4 and 3/16 thickness? Thanks.

17. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    On the left SYKCO 711 = 1/4". On the right, Ratmandu = 3/16"

[​IMG]

18. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    That's a bigger difference than I thought there was. Hmmm, now I'm not sure if I should change my order

19. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    Yeah I was thinking to go 3/16 but then when I held the two side by side, I just couldn't imagine something the 711's size in the RMD thickness. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet, but pretty sure I will go 1/4" if I do.

20. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    So just for fun I pulled out my sjtac comp finish which is my favorite knife and my kill devil hawk which is 3/16ths and they appear to be the same thickness. I guess I'll stay with what I ordered as I've never had a problem with the sjtac. If you are going to order do it soon, I just got the last call email.