Ray Mear's Wolfspyder

Good time to get a WolfSpyder with the British Pound tanking after UK votes to leave EU!

8a6c36fd1b875c740847fc53de18de41.jpg
eb9f27e024cdf5cfb12ef323002f56c9.jpg
044fc0446d89165d6a7295cf9fd0d19a.jpg

I keep it super sharp with some gentle caress once a week.
Ceramic and leather.
Back to razor.
Great EDC.
Getting better and better.
Strong! Very strong for such a small knife.
I love mine.
bc70cde0d3393f8e799410f7415367fc.jpg

8c6be89a8e15e70d80c4db19837a5c8c.jpg

Last edited:
Someone posted in the Wolfspyder thread on the official Spydercoforums that I don't have to pay UK taxes on this knife when ordering from the US. Anyone know if that's true?

codesters,

I bought an air rifle from UK and did not have to pay tarrifs (ship to USA address). I think there are two terms to be familiar with UK Duty & VAT. Here is a link to help EDIT: link removed

I think the Mears website adjust for UK Duty, VAT, etc once you plug in the ship to country ($164.02 USD shipped when I checked)

Regards,

Last edited:
You imported to the USA, therefore UK duty and VAT will not apply to you. That website is for people importing to the UK from outside the EU, not people importing from the UK to their country.
If you look through it, you will see a section on US import IS covered :)

Edit: I think the short answer is, no you should not be charged Duty & VAT on a US purchase. However the rules of caveat emptor always apply, therefore my link for self knowledge.

Regards,

Last edited:
If you look through it, you will see a section on US import IS covered :)

Regards,

Please quote it here as I cannot see it. That page you linked to is about importing into the UK, so I don't see why they'd talk about importing into the US.

Willing to be proven wrong if it is in fact on that page you linked to ;)

Please quote it here as I cannot see it. That page you linked to is about importing into the UK, so I don't see why they'd talk about importing into the US.

Willing to be proven wrong if it is in fact on that page you linked to ;)
hughtrimble,

My post was directed to the person with the question (codesters), and was not intended to be used as a challenge measuring argumentative ... I believe the question was effectively answered already.

However, I will do more homework to ALSO assistant in answering your question as follows:
" Tariff Codes
When importing goods to the UK from China, India, the USA or anywhere else outside of the EU you will need a tariff code ..."

That direct quote from my link, when combined with my text (related to "caveat emptor" and buyer being informed) the resultant is to make sure the proper codes gets listed on item being purchased as ultimately you the buyer/importer are the responsible party. If held up in export or import customs, the buyer suffers (hopefully not because of their ignorance).

If further clarification is required, please be specific on what is confusing to you, and I will do my best to help clarify.

Regards,

hughtrimble,

My post was directed to the person with the question (codesters), and was not intended to be used as a challenge measuring argumentative ... I believe the question was effectively answered already.

However, I will do more homework to ALSO assistant in answering your question as follows:
" Tariff Codes
When importing goods to the UK from China, India, the USA or anywhere else outside of the EU you will need a tariff code ..."

That direct quote from my link, when combined with my text (related to "caveat emptor" and buyer being informed) the resultant is to make sure the proper codes gets listed on item being purchased as ultimately you the buyer/importer are the responsible party. If held up in export or import customs, the buyer suffers (hopefully not because of their ignorance).

If further clarification is required, please be specific on what is confusing to you, and I will do my best to help clarify.

Regards,

Have you not read what you're posting Spey? It says, and you yourself have even quoted it above "When importing goods to the UK from China, India, the USA...".

That's about importing goods to the UK. I really don't see how you can read that as importing goods into the US from the UK.

I'm labouring this point as you're giving out misinformation. You will not pay UK VAT or duty as you are buying in the US.

It is so very simple.

You may have taxes and import fees upon arrival into the US (I've no idea about the US import situation, and neither does the page you keep linking to) but they will not be UK VAT or duty related, despite what you keep thinking.

Can I suggest anyone reading this does not pay attention to the link unless they are importing into the UK. Importing into the US is an entirely different matter and is not discussed in the supplied link.

Back to the knife...

I'll be doing a comparison of the Wolfspyder and EnZo Birk 75 over the coming weeks.

hughtrimble,

My bad, I over-read the word "from" each time I read that sentence. I would agree the link was not applicable. I have edit removed the link (perhaps you might also consider same in your quote so others don't waste time clicking there?).

My apologies for posting it, and for my reply related to link.

I believe the other info related to how the Mears site applies fees, duties & VAT based on the ship to country is correct.

I look forward to your comparison. Hopefully you might choose to answer my questions from a number of posts ago related to the geometry of the Wolf ...? (hoping to find out what the primary bevel angle is, and would also like to know thickness behind the secondary?)

I have asked around a few places, including emails to the Mears site, and have not gotten answers yet.

Again, my apologies :)

Regards,

Last edited:
8a6c36fd1b875c740847fc53de18de41.jpg
eb9f27e024cdf5cfb12ef323002f56c9.jpg
044fc0446d89165d6a7295cf9fd0d19a.jpg

I keep it super sharp with some gentle caress once a week.
Ceramic and leather.
Back to razor.
Great EDC.
Getting better and better.
Strong! Very strong for such a small knife.
I love mine.
bc70cde0d3393f8e799410f7415367fc.jpg

8c6be89a8e15e70d80c4db19837a5c8c.jpg

Good to see the Wolfspyder is easy to maintain with basic tools! Thanks for the excellent pictures!

Hey Spey.........................[emoji106]

sal
Well hello Sal ✌

Any chance you might help me out on the geometry spec's on the WolfSpyder?

Primary, secondary and TBE ?

I had thought these were gonna be a full Scandi, but pic's I've seen appear to have a secondary, micro or ... ?

thanks,
Christopher

Regards,

7a2ebda53105a135c8717b9c4d96631b.jpg
9853c1e9c8f1f5d6f7d2474d489524d9.jpg

Sandpaper 600 grind.
Leather stropes....
And it is good to shave!

Well hello Sal ✌

Any chance you might help me out on the geometry spec's on the WolfSpyder?

Primary, secondary and TBE ?

I had thought these were gonna be a full Scandi, but pic's I've seen appear to have a secondary, micro or ... ?

thanks,
Christopher

Regards,

Hey Spey,

I guess I missed this one, sorry, my bad.

We put a small micro at the edge of the Scandi. Just enough to be sharp, but not so much that a full Scandi can't be maintained, if elected..

sal

Anyone else get one yet? I've had this one in my cart a few times but haven't pulled the trigger. With the current GBP vs USD now is the time.

wow! this truly falls under the "small wonder" category.
looks right!
but curious minds would certainly like to know
if a man sized version would be on the manifest someday?
it certainly looks like a classic winner.

Back