really, only "custom" knives?

Les et al.,

So we're only going to discuss "custom" knives? According to your definition of custom, that means that Randall's and ALOT of others, cannot be discussed here. How many people would say that Randall's aren't custom? I only cite Randall's because they are so well known. I'm sure we could come up with many other examples of "customs" that aren't. If you're getting rid of one manufacturer, are you really going to apply the same rules to everyone else? I'm not trying to cause trouble, I'm just trying to be realistic and fair.

I respectfully object to you prohibiting the certain manufacturer from being discussed here and, wish that other thread hadn't been closed.

Bernie

[This message has been edited by Bernie (edited 15 January 1999).]

Wait a minute. The forum is for only "custom" knives. Why can't such a forum be limited to those makers who make each knife or take a significant part in making each knife that leaves their shop. Stop. Think about the investment needed in equipment to produce one knife. Give these makers there own forum. Why not? Do you feel that such efforts should be encouraged. If not, you deserve what you get--a world of Benchmade and Spyderco production models, and "limited editions" sold as marketing ploys.

Now stop this nonsense. Leave the Custom forum limited to those who take a significant part in making each knife that leaves their shop.

I am really disappointed with some of the posts on this thread. If you all cannot see the impact of the those such at A.T. Barr, Kit Carson, Greg Lightfoot, and many others have on this market, I feel sorry for you. Forget the terms and semantics, I would bet Chris Reeve would have no problem whatsoever if this forum was limited to those makers such as those mentioned above. If their sales are such that they hire help and then oversee the process and produce a quality product, like Chris Reeve. Then great. But how did they start---one knife at a time.

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 16 January 1999).]

Hi Bernie,

Ok Bernie Randall's are custom knives. Which Randall makes these knives.

We know its not Bo.

Its not Gary

Gary's son is in his teens, so child labor laws would probably prevent him from making several thousand knives a year.

Bernie, this was a trap. No Randall family member is involved in the day to day making of knives down in Orlando.

This is why this forum is only for custom knives. To help dispell lies, such as the aforementioned comment that Randall knives are custom knives.

The Randall shop has talented knife makers in it. As does Reeve and the guys who produce the copies of Jimmy Lile's knives. However, none of these are handmade knives in the context under which this forum views custom knives. That is to say, the guys name who is on the knife has to do at least some of the work.

Also, Bernie you had a unique sentece in your post "I respectfully object to you prohibiting the certain manufacturer from being discussed here,".

Bernie, this is why I close thread and probhibt certain discussions. Bernie, there are no MANUFACTURER's in custom knives. This is a oxymoron, Custom/Manufacturer. Kinda like Military/Intelligence (I can say that as I was a Military Intelligence Officer for part of my carrer.)

Bernie, its because individuals think like this, that we must strive to educate the public that there is a difference. It starts with suttle things like using the word maker instead of manufacturer.

Bernie, just for your information. Randall knives are only allowed Associate status in the US Knifemakers Guild. Lile Knives has also been downgraded to Associate Status. I like Marilyn Lile and the people who sell the knives. These are good quality knives and worth the price. As are Randall knives. But they are no longer custom knives as far as the Guild is concerned. Bernie, remember, the rules of this Guild were made up by other custom knife makers.

Bernie, I will give you this, there are other custom knife makers who are out there perpatrating a fraud. The have or had others doing their work for them. Slowly, but surely they are being exposed and are leaving custom knives.

For those of us who make our living within the boundries, it is very important that the consumer understand the difference between a custom and a manufactured knife. It is the deception that is used by some in this or any other collectabile field that drive away customers.

We all know people that if you told them you spent $100 on a knife, they would look at you like you were insane. So imagine we in the custom knife field get when we tell them we make knives or in my case that I am a custom knife dealer!

It's difficult enough to do this full time, without having to fight misconeptions. So we thank you Bernie for brining this to light and hopefully you have walked away a little wiser.

Every time I think of Randall knives. I think of the customer who came to my table almost every show looking for that prized Randall. He knew I didnt carry Randall's, but he kept looking. This went on for over 5 years. At a show in Kentucky, he told me he had finally saved up enough money and was going to buy him a Randall. Which he did.

He then returned to my table to show it to me. This was several months before Bo Randall passed away. He told me he was so happy to get one because he knew Bo's time was short. I then casually said to him, you know Bo didnt make that knife. I then explained to him how Randall knives are made.
He called me a liar, I told him go ask the dealer he bought the knife from. We both walked over there, and the Randall dealer informed him that I had told him the truth. To his credit the Randall dealer gave this individual his money back. This full grown man, did everything he could to keep from crying. He took the money, said thank you and left. I have never seen that individual again.

While Im sure there are any number of reasons as to why he doesnt attened shows any more. I cant help but think, this incident with the Randall sticks in his head every time he looks at a knife.

No one wants to make an "informed" based on bad information.

Bernie, respectfully, I will have to decline your request to discuss factory knives or formerly custom knives that are now made like factory knives on this site.

------------------
Les Robertson
Robertson's Custom Cutlery
www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

Les: In the relative short time I have been interested in knives and "customs" in general, I for one have appreciated the diversity of opinions as well as your thought out replys which have served to furthur my knowledge as well as my interests. For that sir, I thank you!

I have two sebenzas. Great knives!!!. I would never consider them custom because there are thousands of identical ones. I look foward to this forum to read about the UNIQUE aspects of individual makers knives. Thanks Les

I think the name of this thread alone
"Custom Knife Forum"
say's it all.There is a general discussion form, why do people have a problem discussing non custom knives there?Each of these threads are tailored to specifics why not just use the proper forum to discuss what falls under that catagory. This isn't hard to figure out.
Bob

Hey, no making fun of MI folks!
smile.gif

Les, I respect and support your position that this should be a "custom" knife forum. I also agree that Chris Reeve, Randall Made Knives, Lile, and others do not fit the definition you have established. But in your effort to make your point using Randall Made Knives as an example, you keep providing information that just isn't correct. Jason Randall (Gary's son, Bo's grandson) is "not" in his teens and does do most of the blade forging. Please call the Randall shop (407) 855-8075 and check your arguments before you use them to support your position. Your point would be correct if you simply stated that current Randall knives are not customs according to your definition because Bo Randall is no longer alive to make them--Gary and Jason have nothing to do with your argument.

Now a word about "custom" knives from my own perspective. I do not own customs because I and others in my profession do not trust them. A knife design with little or no use history is great to own and show but should not be used in a tactical situation. I have and would trust my life to a CR Sebenza, Randall #14 or #1, or a Mad Dog Arizona Hunter--many have been made, many used, tried and true design. I can't take the risk of venturing out with a one of a kind, regardless of how much experience the blade maker has. I am aware of special operations troops who own customs but leave them in the mission support site while they carry good quality factory made knives, or whatever class you put Randalls and Mad Dogs in, into the field because they can be trusted, are easy and cheaper to replace, and they have no sentimental attachment to them--it's a tool and if I have to leave it, I will!

Hi Bruce,

Well I stand corrected about Randall knives. I must admit I dont really follow what they do. However, when I make a error I am the first to own up to it.

Next, Bruce I am all kind of confused about your statement of using factory knives. You favor factory knives over custom knives because they are just a tool and you dont mind leaving them behind?

Bruce I will let you in on a story, I have seen so many factory knives break in the field, to include a Randall 14 at Northern Warfare School. True it was -30. That I would never trust my life to one.

What branch of the service are you in? What special ops type missions do you run.

I personally ran into a lot of Army SF guys who carried custom knives in the field. Two words for you here Bruce....Walter Brend! His knives are Kid Tested/Mother Approved (re.SF and Delta Force). There is not a Better Fixed blade knife on the planet!

True they are $600. Over the 10 years I carried a Brend I was always asked dont you worry about carrying such an expensive knife?
Id look at them and smile and say, if you paid this much for a knife, trust me you would always know where it is. Kinda like my M-16 and .45, I always knew where they were.

The other answer I gave to those who asked me about why I carry such an expensive knife. I answered, some of us know what our lives are worth.

Bruce, dont bet your life on something just because you dont care if you have to leave it behind. If you get out alive and have to leave a knife that cost $10,000, it's still worth it.

------------------
Les Robertson
http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com/rcc/makers.shtml
It is easier to get things done with a kind word and a knife, than with a kind word alone!

Bruce, your comment to Les "do not fit the definition you have established." These guide lines were formed by the Knifemakers Guild, by Knifemakers,not Les. He just agrees with them.

I don't know what "tactical situations" you put yourself in, but a knife assembled by an employee watching the time clock can be detrimental to your health.

A.T.

This talk about having a custom made knife to protect myself concerns me. I'm not in any service, don't do any special ops. But on the street can I rely on a production folder like the MOD Hornet or is it just hype to sell knives?

A.T.

Thanks for the clarification about who decided what the rules were. Great comment about having a knife from someone who watches a time clock.

Of course anymore, there is not even a person to watch the time clock.

RK,

Hype, of course there is hype, there is hype in everything you think of purchasing.

Here is a answer when someone says they cant afford the knife.

Is it the price or is it the cost?

The price is set based on a number of thing, cost of materials, time involved, marketing expense, R&D expenses, etc. Usually, this is negotiable.

The cost however is something completley different. Cost, in my opinion, especially when it comes to something that may impact the safety of your life or your loved ones. Is not to be measured in mere money. What is the cost of saving a few bucks, and then have the product fail in the moment of truth. What is the cost of having to send something back to have it fixed or repaired. Thereby keeping you from carrying this item that you are familiar with and/or have trained with. Again, this will impact on your readiness.

The reason I started to buy Custom Knives was not the price, it was the potential cost. While on my first field problem in the Infantry Officers Basic Course, at Beautiful FT. Benning, GA. My Gerber Mark II failed. I stuck it in a tree grabbed the 550 cord I was going to cut, pulled the knife out of the tree and the blade stayed in the tree. Now, how much is that knife worth. Was it worth the price, possibly? Was it worth the cost, absolutely not. Fortunately, it was only a two day field problem and I was able to get a new knife. Now, I may have been a no nothing 2LT, but I knew that I would never own another Gerber again.

Oh, by the way, at the time this happened, the US invaded Grenada. As I was heading to the 101st, perhaps I was picturing myself on this little island in the Carribean, with my blade in a tree and the handle in my hand!

No matter what it is, you can always find it cheaper. If its popular or sought after there is always a copy.

So the next time you look at a custom knife and think it is too expensive. Ask yourself, is it the price or the cost?

However, cost

------------------
Les Robertson
http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com/rcc/makers.shtml
It is easier to get things done with a kind word and a knife, than with a kind word alone!

Les,

Thanks for your highly rational comments.

My reference to hype was for the MOD Hornet. Meaning here we have an knife supposedly designed by guy who has rep for knowing something about tactical knives, and they are
certainly promoted as tactical defense knives. So, is it just hype because the thing can't be relied on due to it's manufactured at a price status.

Ron

I think what Bruce is saying regarding the good quality factory knife trust issue (long inhale) is that there are alot of one off custom knives that are not "tried and true". This refers to the design as well as the methods used to make them (I will refrain from saying "manufacturing" process
smile.gif
). One could say that many of these custom knives are in the begining of the development stage. It's like buying a car the first year it comes out (or better yet, the prototype before it is even put on the market). It's not going to be tested (for lack of a better word) as much as the model will be several years down the road.

I'm not naive enough to think that the manufacturer/maker won't cut some corners down the road but, overall the knife will almost definitely (how's that for an oxymoron
smile.gif
) be better than the first one.

With all due respect to every custom knife maker, and I say that sincerely, alot of custom knives that I've seen are not good quality/strong/reliable knives. In fact, alot are poor quality. The simple fact that many claim/state "no two are alike" even though they are the same "model" should be some sort of clue (yes, I know Randall also says that). This is just my opinion. Granted, I could say the same thing about the quality of factory knives but, my point (and I think Bruce's point also) is that when you buy a good quality factory knife, you know what to expect. When you buy a one off custom, it's much more dificult. You could easily buy a knife that will break on you. This is especially true if you don't know knives or knifemakers that well and, don't want to or "can't" put the time in researching it. If you want to be more sure and buy from a maker with a well established reputation (and has probably become a manufacturer by this point), you will pay out the a$$ for it and may have to wait for a year or longer.

Oh yeah, I'll give in on the "custom" knifeforum issue regarding certain knifemakers/manufacturers. At least Les agrees that there are alot of knives that people (including all of us) think are custom that are not. I don't think it is as clear cut as alot of people think, due in part to those "perpetrating a fraud". JP, you say limit the forum "to those who take a significant part in making each knife that leaves their shop". My point is that "significant part" can mean alot of things (exactly where are you going to draw the line) ... But, like I said you win.

I don't own any of Chris Reeve's knives but, I think his (or should I say his brand) are the best quality knives there are. I know that quality is a subjective assessment but, what I'm refering to are things like grind symetry, tolerances, strength, etc. not fancy knives using things like exotic natural materials.

Also, I do own a Randall. The purchase was made fairly recently and I at no time thought or expected that it would actually be made by one of the Randall family members (although, after reading Bruce's post, maybe the little guy banged out the blade
smile.gif
). I bought a Model 1. One of the reasons was that when I asked the advise of a friend to help decide which model to buy, he said, "Get the Model 1! Are you kidding me? That thing has been around forever; you know the've got the bugs worked out of it. It's been through wars for ------'s sake!" So to the question, do I consider Randalls to be custom knives (you're going to hate me for saying this but) I will say no. And I have never considered them "custom." In actuality, I think most of the knives that people refer to as custom knives aren't.

Bernie

P.S. I also want to say thanks to everyone (including myself
smile.gif
). I'm glad we could keep this discussion civil.

[This message has been edited by Bernie (edited 16 January 1999).]

Well, to put it lightly, I'm very impressed in how you guys have handled this debate.

This has been a very touchy subject and you are discussing it rationally and calmly when it could quite easily become heated.

Good job guys and keep it up!

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Spark,

With regards to your last post calling our discussion calm and rational, can we all get something for it? You know, positive reinforcement. I think a custom knife for each of us would be appropriate. Since Les is a moderator and therefore, probably won't be eligible, i'll volunteer to take his
smile.gif

Bernie

I dunno Bernie, but since your username starts with a B, some would say that you stand a higher chance of winning the monthly giveaway!
biggrin.gif

As for a custom knife, well, we'll see how many are donated...

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

I think Bernie gets my point, although I admit it is not the only point. Mine is just an opinion forged from my experience. Just a couple of words in amplification:
1) I, like Les, wouldn't carry a factory knife into a tactical situation. I said I've seen SOF troops leave their customs and "used to be customs" (Randall's, Mad Dog's, etc.) to keep them from getting beat up by Saddam's sand. Also like Les, I wouldn't trust my life to a knife made in a factory where the quality control person was having a fight with his wife (you can reverse genders here if you need to). I gave my son-in-law's brother (SOF 2LT) a SOG Seal 2000 but I am going to rectify that situation soon with something like a Mad Dog.
2) I don't mind spending as much on a knife as a gun, but also won't buy a "true" custom (as espoused by Les and the Knife Makers Guild) for the reasons in my previous post. A Randall, CR, Mad Dog, etc. has way more quality control than a factory knife, and a proven design (and they ain't cheap!).

A question for Les: A custom to you denotes a knife made by the guy whose name is on the blade. In most other endeavors, a custom is something designed, at least in part, by the customer--using his input, regardless of who built it. For instance, I live one street over from Walt Campbell of Campbell's knives. He does all his own work--although I'm not sure he heat treats. He has developed and sells a set group of knives. He also advertises that he will consider doing something to the customer's specifications. Which are the custom knives? His regular, advertised knives, his work with customer input, or both? Or perhaps only those he makes only one of? By the way, I've learned a bunch from this forum and thank all who have helped enlighten me!

Gentlemen: I have followed this debate for some time now, and, reluctantly, I would like to make a few comments. First, my definition of custom includes the concept of handmade. All the knives I make, whether stock models or those made to a customer's particular spec, are "custom" and "handmade".
I fit every component in by hand.
I grind my own blades.
I heat treat my blades.
I hardness test my own blades
I make my own handles
I make my own pivot bushings
I do my own designs.
I sharpen the knives myself
I package the knives for shipment myself.

Occasionally, I use a waterjet outfit to profile some of my blanks and liners. Upon receipt, I am again finishing off their work WRT profiling. I plainly state this to anyone who asks. I could do this work myself, but use the service in order to keep the retail prices down.

My point is, whatever degree (or lack) of fit/finish and performance that my knives have is directly the result of MY work, not an assistant, or my kid, or some other shop.
To me, this defines "custom" and "handmade".

It is difficult to argue the quality that NC machines can produce They are consistently accurate. This is why the knives being debated here are so often raved about. This is also why these knives lack personality/uniqueness-they are virtually identical, knife after knife. There's nothing wrong with these knives-they work, and people like them. What is wrong is misrepresenting how they are made, or the maker's involvement with making them. And, it it wrong to attribute the fit and finish of these knives to the skill of the maker. He had little to do with it!!

And, yes, there are custom/handmade knives out there that aren't as good as these machine made knives. But, there are some custom knives that offer the customer the same level of performance AND the appreciation that the knife contains subtle variations that make it truly unique. It is defiinitely analagous to the John Henry Legend. Man vs. Machine. What is interesting is how a man can create superb fit and finish with only his eyes and hands and his manual machines.

Anyway, this forum is for CUSTOM knives. Other sections of Bladeforums are for NON-CUSTOM knives. What a concept!!

RJ Martin

Back