Recommend me a Knife less than 2.5 inch, my Emerson CQC-14 2.7 inch is now "illegal"

My Emerson CQC-14 2.7 in. blade is now not allowed at a UC Campus, and I want to follow the rules but also be protected.

http://emersonknives.com/shop/cqc-14/cqc-14-snubby/

http://www.adminpolicies.ucla.edu/pdf/131.pdf

"It is prohibited to bring or possess on the campus ot
her types of weapons capable of inflicting great
bodily injury or death (hereinafter referred to
as “lethal weapons”), unless it is with the written permission of the UCLA Police Chief. Examples of such lethal weapons include but are not limited to
large knives, ice picks, daggers or other similar in
struments. The applicable Penal Code prohibition
applies to any knife or similar implement with a fixed blade longer that 2.5 inches."

Now this small Emerson knife that is 2.7 inches which I specifically bought to be under the 3 inch law in most locations is now made illegall. What would you suggest for a 2.5 inch or smaller knife? I'd like recommendations to be less then 2.5 inch, even though 2.5 inch is legal. I am worried about the next law the school passes which limits the length below 2.5 inches at some point in the future. Preferably above 2 inch.

I really like the Emerson wave feature but unfortunately none of the folder-wave Emersons are under 2.5 inch. I have been researching the La Griffe by Emerson

http://emersonknives.com/product-category/knives/la-griffe-the-knives/

All of the Emerson Karambits are over 2.5 inches. I want something durable, something I can take apart and clean. Plus I like the Emerson Chisel grind. However I'm open to other brands, just give me your recommendations please I'm open to anything and everything. Even if its not a knife and a folder that holds the box cutter blades.

The cold steel Tuff lite folders are solid, non-threatening looking knives. Plus they're cheap enough to throw away if you had to... :thumbup::cool: No wave though.

You could check out A G Russell's Carbon Fiber Friction Folder. It's a neat looking knife, carbon fiber handles, S30V blade, and a pocket clip (which I don't see often on friction folders). As a friction folder it does not have a "lock," which is handy since locks get banned fairly frequently, but my friction folders feel pretty darn safe when open since you actually hold the blade in place with your hand. It comes in right at 2.5 inches.

Other than that, you might want to look at a SAK or a Peanut. It was exactly these sorts of considerations that got me into traditional knives. Good old fashioned traditional slipjoints tend to avoid a lot of the trouble, but they still work pretty well as knives.

thanks czechmate i really like what i see on those tuff lite's especially the tuff lite mini

abbydaddy the ceramic knife is interesting i just wish it was a folder

are there any fixed bladed knives that have 2.5 inch or less for the blade?

We are talking .2 inches here, you could have that much variation in manufacturer specifications.

Also, knife makers measure blade length from the end of the leading edge of the handle to the tip. Actual edge length will always be less.

abbydaddy the ceramic knife is interesting i just wish it was a folder

The AG Russell is a folder
MAN-MSR1CF.jpg

MAN-MSR1CF_1.jpg

That said, as Rev Devil pointed out, Spyderco has a lot of small knives. And they have some really useful little blades.

I would go to the police chief and get written permission. No need for a new knife or the money to spend on one.

The law explicitly states with a fixed blade. Your folder is legal. I have been through this before. Charges were dropped. I was carrying a 4" Buck/Strider 880.

Last edited:
Not sure if it applies to locking folders as you are implying, or just fixed blades as the way it is worded implies. At least how I read it?

If it does include locking folders as "having a fixed blade of..." Since the blade is essentially "fixed" into ppsition by the lock, Get yourself a really nice traditional, non locking with a strong detent... Adds a great piece to your collection, can be over 3" since no blades are "fixed" in any way, win/win.

And/or buy a cheap $10 Smith and Wesson 2-tone ck401 framelock. I have gifted quite a few out and still have a few around in the bottom of a pack out in the garage, not bad little $10 beaters, and they actually do look pretty nice, like they cost much more.

right at 2.5" keeps you legit, and at only $10 it doesn't matter much if the campus cops do find an excuse to take it or if the rules change to no Knives... Your not out much money for a knife that small which you'll probably only carry at school anyways.

Together Coupled with a really nice traditional, it doesn't raise the price of the cart too much and ya really can't go wrong.

CRKT Pazoda (small) is just over 2"... Thumb hole, deep carry, frame lock, just over $10; crkt lake 111-z with the lockback safety switch has a small 2.5" version; I have a large version of both that I like...

There are actually quite a few other cheap options out there for 2.5" and less Knives; crkt burnley squid, Buck colleague, Buck scholar, Kabar mini dozier, Kershaw half ton, Kershaw Shuffle (nice bottle opener), Kershaw kurai, Boker Magnum deep blue, Gerber guardian d2 & k3 both have small versions, all can be had for right around or well under $20... All different styles and designs for whatever suits your fancy.

I'm a huge fan of the CRKT Squid, and at $20 there's not much risk in purchasing one to see if you like it.

After owning a bunch of small folders, I found the Spyderco Lava to be the most capable. It's a very unique design, but is extremely secure in the hand unlike the vast majority of 'small' folders out there. It's also a lame blue color, and doesn't look in any ways tacticool. You can still buy the G10 version on clearance at a few places, get one while you can :D

Last edited:
Boker Plus War Toad.
2 inch blade, friction folder...and the extended tang is shaped for use as a pry-bar, mainly for prying staples.
That way, you can use it to remove staples for pretty girls around campus without even opening the knife. :)

You can be that helpful guy that's always prepared, without looking like Rambo. ;)

It's actually a surprisingly useful knife, and comes with a belt sheath/pouch for if you don't want to use the pocket clip.

Rain%2019_zpsbsedmwbx.jpg

Rain%2016_zpsgskuxdhx.jpg

The rule you posted seems limited to fixed blade knives. However, if you want to err on the side of caution and get a 2.5" folder, I'd recommend a Kahr Delica (a Delica 4 with a shortened blade) or, if last ditch self defense is one of the potential uses for the knife, a Karahawk (I like the handles on Emerson kerambits more, but the shortest blade they offer is 2.6"). The Cold Steel Tuff Lite is quite good, too, and rather affordable (plus the sheepfoot blade shouldn't raise any eyebrows).

Back