Regrettably loaned my PM2 to a coworker!!!

First of all, long time listener, first time caller.

I've been a knife fan for 30+ years and carried one in my pocket or had one close since I was 10.

Only in the past year have I discovered Spyderco in my research for a better pocket knife. I initially bought a ZT 562 for EDC while debating between it and a pm2. I can't say anything bad about the ZT; it's an Elmax tank, but the pm kept calling my name.

I finally bought a digicamo pm2 in January and there hasn't been a day when I've left the house without it in my pocket!! I also have the dlc version and an orange delica. I love these knives with every fiber of my being!

I've read horror stories of borrowed knives on this and other forums so when a coworker asked to borrow a knife today, I asked what he was going to do with it. "Just cutting a zip tie" he assured me.

MF never mentioned said zip tie was underneath a car securing an extra key to the frame and that he was going to indiscriminately hack at both (metal on metal) until he broke the tip off my knife and put two deep nicks in the edge!!!

The nicks were easily visible with the naked eye, but the broken tip was near microscopic and only noticeable with my jeweler's magnifying glass (whatever that thing is called).

I only knew the specifics of what he did because he readily admitted it when I asked WTF he did to my knife. He was somewhat apologetic yet seemed confused about why I might be upset about what he'd done. He asked if I wanted him to replace it, which I declined given his lack of actual intent and his stupidity.

I've chalked it up to my own stupidity for letting him borrow my knife in the first place. I brought my EdgePro to the office after lunch and spent several hours trying to fix the damage he'd done.

Lesson learned!!!

tl;dr op is an idiot who loaned his knife to a mouth breathing coworker who damaged it.

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Now you know..

NEVER LOAN A KNIFE TO ANYONE.

Ouch!!!!!

It's a hard lesson learned.. I learned mine, many years ago! Luckily, before a Spyderco was my EDC brand..
Sounds like we are similar.. been with a knife, since 8... Been into knifes, ever since. 34 now..

Now I carry a hard use/loaner/abuse knife.. DF2 H1 serrated..
And my personal use, Spyderco, for the day..
Also a Hap40 Ladybug, for a nail cutter, toothpick, thread cutter, or whatever..

Now you know..

NEVER LOAN A KNIFE TO ANYONE.

Maybe....maybe, if you are a fellow knife lover, then I will let you see my knife. Im not talking about flea market - gas station knife guy, I mean the guy who owns something over $100. I got a guy who works with me now who carries a zt560 everyday. I let him handle/use my pm2 or my sebenza because I know he wont do something like what happened to the OP. Besides him, my wife is the only person that I freely let use my knife.

P.S. got any pics of the damage?

I feel your pain. Next time you find yourself at wallywor!d, pick
up one of those $4.00 Ozark trail knives for loaning purposes. When your friends borrow it...and trash it, you won't feel so bad !!!

Last edited:
Hi DRoth,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your learning the hard way.

sal

I don't have any pictures of the damage. It was only severe enough that one of us would notice and start crying on the inside. The knife molester was so polite in his apologies that he probably thought I was crazy ("Look what you did" "Right here" "Look closer" "And right here, too").

I didn't have anyone at work in which to share my frustration. I appreciate everyone's kind words and advice.

AND to hear from the legend himself is truly humbling and awe-inspiring! Thanks, Sal! I'm inspired and motivated to finally order the blurple PM2 I've been lusting after.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Whoa does he know that the knife is fairly expensive to be so willing to replace it or is he just dumb enough to think that it's disposable like a utility cutter?

Sent from the BatComputer

Ask "Where's your knife?" Don't loan it out. If he won't buy his own he won't respect yours.

Wow! Now I get it.
A couple years back I was preparing an object lesson for a church youth group that involved cutting rope. Wouldn't you know it, I left home without my knife. I found a guy in the congregation (special forces security type) who I knew would have a blade, and asked him to let me use it. He looked at me very cautiously, almost with guarded remorse, and after close inquiry as to why I needed it, he slowly pulled a Civilian from his pocket. "Take care of this," he said, with almost a preemptive rebuke.

Finally I can put the look on his face in context! I don't think he knew I was a fellow knife knut. (That Civilian was a bad-ass knife, btw.)

Sorry to hear that you learned in this fashion. It surely would hurt me big-time also.
At least, it won't happen to you again.
best regards...

"Don't loan it if you mind loosing it" ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Too bad about your knife. Never loan your PM to anybody....or carry a cheapo SAK or generic OPI along with your PM for just such an occurrence

It was only severe enough that one of us would notice and start crying on the inside. The knife molester was so polite in his apologies that he probably thought I was crazy ("Look what you did" "Right here" "Look closer" "And right here, too").
Brought a smile to my face....but only because I totally understand. Been there.

"If they dont know, You cant explain.":D

I've let a friend borrow a knife before....but it wasn't a $100 one! But I've also sent a friend a blade to check out with no worries bc he's a fellow knife lover like myself, so it all depends on the person and situation :thumbup:

NKP's just don't respect knives like we do. Too bad we have to learn the hard way.. but we do learn. I'll either cut it myself or say, "not with my knife you won't". I don't care if they're offended, and I'm a nice guy.

Wow! Now I get it.
A couple years back I was preparing an object lesson for a church youth group that involved cutting rope. Wouldn't you know it, I left home without my knife. I found a guy in the congregation (special forces security type) who I knew would have a blade, and asked him to let me use it. He looked at me very cautiously, almost with guarded remorse, and after close inquiry as to why I needed it, he slowly pulled a Civilian from his pocket. "Take care of this," he said, with almost a preemptive rebuke.

Finally I can put the look on his face in context! I don't think he knew I was a fellow knife knut. (That Civilian was a bad-ass knife, btw.)

If I had a civilian I wouldn't loan that out period

I used my matriarch to do something and it needs to be sharpened

I'll never use those wicked blades again for anything than what they are intended for

PM2 for utility

Wow! Now I get it.

If I had a civilian I wouldn't loan that out period

I used my matriarch to do something and it needs to be sharpened

I'll never use those wicked blades again for anything than what they are intended for

PM2 for utility

I let a fellow at work borrow my waved endura. After he cut what he needed to, he was throwing it tip first in the ground. Knife priveledges for him were indefinitely lost. 6 years later and he knows not to ask to borrow a knife.

Back