1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Regrettably loaned my PM2 to a coworker!!!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by DRoth, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Spey

Spey

Apr 15, 2012
    Or (in my case typically) ask them what they need a knife for?
    Opening a box, take the opportunity to show them how to break that tape barrier with a key, a pen, a chopstick, or many other tools readily available to them.
    A zip tie, perhaps show them how to pop it with a paperclip, pin, etc. (show them they can then reuse the zip-tie ;-).
    If the job truly requires a knife, I ask them if they are ok with me using my knife for their task (they usually look at me like I think they are incompetent ... :-/

I have learned that many times buying or giving them a knife is useless, because if they don't buy it themselves ..., typically they will not carry it regardless.

Loaning tools, items in general, it's a rare surprise when it comes back they way it was loaned. It's that RARE guy or gay that returns something in equal or better condition. When the truck comes back with more gas than it left, washed, oh god new tires ... (yes, this does happen) it's a really nice loan that speaks volumes to future relations. Feels good when you do it for others ;-)

2. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    haha, tell us how you really feel!

3. exracr

exracr

Feb 7, 2016
    I loaned my knife to my Mom who worked in a factory using blades daily...... She lost it while on horseback; but bought me a brand new one. So I absolved any hostility! :p

I ask what someone wants to do... then fore warn them my knives are very sharp! Hence why I daily a Raven2, and not my S110V PM2; haha :O

4. bengler

bengler

Sep 10, 2013
    This is why I love Spyderco. Sal is always hanging around with all his knife nut customers.

5. Davor

Davor

Mar 10, 2010
    I wonder if your friend would have replaced it. He probably thought the knife cost $25.

6. Zagorov

Zagorov

Jan 2, 2015
    This is why I do not let anyone else work with any of my knifes except if I see that he cannot do any damage to it. Some of my friends frown about it, but some of them understand my point.

7. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    And when you tell them how much they cost, they immediately question your judgement about buying a knife that pricey. :D

8. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    A lesson learned ONCE.
    rolf

9. Davor

Davor

Mar 10, 2010
    If they knew how much our knives cost they wouldn't ask us to lend it to them.

10. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015

11. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Haha you got that right. :D

12. KrisOK

KrisOK

Oct 17, 2012
    I've stopped loaning my knives to people as well, even my son-in-law. This is a guy who builds custom motorcycles for a living. So.... He knows how to treat tools, right? Lat time I let him use one of my knives I caught him chipping at ice that had frozen his garage door to the concrete. It was my first Ti Lum Tanto. That was like 15 years ago, but he has never asked to borrow a knife since.

The last time I handed a knife to a co-worker (Mini Griptilian), I was lucky to ask him what was going to use it for before he got two steps away. He was going to pry open a locked drawer with it....... Never again........

13. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Always willing to give a hand, don't ask me to give you my knife ! ;)

14. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    I only trust my wife with my knives. She is fully aware of how much they cost and how special they are to me. Everyone else gets asked what they are cutting or I offer to do the cutting.

On another relevant note: one time a guy I don't much like asked to borrow my knife. I asked if he has a knife. He said he doesn't carry one.

Without skipping a beat, I just looked at him with a "you're pathetic look" and said, "A smart man once told me that a man without a knife is a useless man."

The guy hasn't said more than two words to me since. But I've noticed he carries a knife now.

Yeah, I was a jerk to him. But it was a lesson that he needed to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. exracr

exracr

Feb 7, 2016
    Only PM2 I have is S110V........ If you think I'm letting ANYONE touch that knife? LMAO

16. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I know this guy and anything he borrows from me is returned unserviceable. From CD's to radios. You think he's getting hold of my knife?

17. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Probably less than 1/100 peeps understand the do's and don'ts of pocket cutlery. The vast majority of people with $1-2K sitting in their kitchen knife block don't even know what they could be doing/avoiding to get the most out of that cutlery. I loan my knives to NOBODY. Even if I know they are only gong to open that small Amazon package... if I open it it will be unscathed. If they open it... at best it will be covered in packing tape gunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. ROOKnine

ROOKnine

Apr 25, 1999

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    It never ceases to amaze me in a very negative way as to how totally stupid and indiscreet most people are with knives :rolleyes:. Even people I know personally that I've always given credit for having basic common sense have blown me away with their lack of knowledge about basic tool usage ( knives and other basic tools) and their lack of awareness.

I loaned one of the guys at the church where I was volunteering my TEMP 1 fixed blade and he was cutting up stuff and wacking the edge directly on a ceramic plates. Fortunately the VG-10 steel held up better than I thought it would and it didn't take much time to re-sharpen it. I've seen reasonably intelligent women for instance trying to use high quality knives as screwdrivers and prybars :rolleyes::eek:. I've seen guys that you think have common sense try to cut all kinds of metal objects with a knife and I even seen one guy use a really good Benchmade knife to dig in the ground looking for something he lost :rolleyes:.

There is no shortage of raw stupidity when it comes to basic knife use. I guess that's why there is such an enormous market for "cheapie" knives from Rip-Mart and other bargain holes who sell nothing but crap. Bottom Line: When it comes to basic knife usage common sense seems to be extremely rare and almost non-existent :(

20. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    I do with my knives most stuff those here complain that others have done with theirs, some will take it, some won't. I carry the ones that will and usually have no problem lending them. It's just a knife and don't mind sharpening.
    If nothing else, they learn what sharp is.