Remington Prospector 2021 Baby Bullet Discussion and Picture Thread

There were enough offered that I actually didn't have to camp out on my laptop to get one. I just ordered one for the knife drawer.

Nice looking knife in a classic pattern. I'd be curious to see how the flippers make out on this one, LOL.

There were enough offered that I actually didn't have to camp out on my laptop to get one. I just ordered one for the knife drawer.

Nice looking knife in a classic pattern. I'd be curious to see how the flippers make out on this one, LOL.
Seems like a slow burn flip. Probably will be several years before it is flipped for any profit by anyone.

Comparison shots (and a case just for laughs). Its literally just a smaller version. Wish it was 130$ and came in a tube.
20210823_173357.jpg
20210823_173549.jpg
20210823_173607.jpg

Grip pics in CASE people are interested, I have schmedium hands.

Good quality.

Attachments

• 20210823_173623.jpg
    20210823_173623.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210823_173637.jpg
    20210823_173637.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 18
I note there are some not insubstantial differences in pattern between the 1173 and the 73. Not sure why GEC didn’t use the older pattern.

I understand there is a tooling cost in producing a new pattern, but, in the years 2007-2011 GEC was pumping out new patterns all the time. So it stands to reason that it can’t be that high of a cost?

Nice knife though. And in my favourite GEC pattern. I want one!

Last edited:
Just curious…are the shields pinned on these? There were some pics of bullets without studs…

I received mine today...nice...
64QlukP.jpg

Bullets!? I thought those were lipstick tubes.

It would be interesting to hear which rounds the shields are modeled after. gunstockjack gunstockjack ‘s guesses seem like good ones.

mb> mb>

Either .30 or .35 Remington for the Prospector, they would be the correct era for the original R1173. The Remington Model 8 self loader was made from 1906 until 1936 in .25, .30, .32, and .35 Remington. The .35 Remington remained a popular cartridge in the Marlin 336 (in direct competition with the Winchester 94 in .32 Winchester Special) through the 60’s and 70’s.

Last edited:
Definitely on the fence about these. Being born in ‘83, i have an 83 bullet knife and im not wild about it. Heck im not wild about two-bladed knives.

My 2nd daughter was born this past friday. I had picked up the sambar stag 86 for my other daughter since it came out when she was born. So id like to pick this up for my newborn.

The pair of 83’s i picked up recently have such terrible side to side play, its really soiled me on gec’s. So apart for the forum knife, im not so sure about buying another gec.

Definitely on the fence about these. Being born in ‘83, i have an 83 bullet knife and im not wild about it. Heck im not wild about two-bladed knives.

My 2nd daughter was born this past friday. I had picked up the sambar stag 86 for my other daughter since it came out when she was born. So id like to pick this up for my newborn.

The pair of 83’s i picked up recently have such terrible side to side play, its really soiled me on gec’s. So apart for the forum knife, im not so sure about buying another gec.
I checked mine and it’s rock solid, no side to side play. If anything it was a little tight but I oiled it up and gave it some breaking in.

The pair of 83’s i picked up recently have such terrible side to side play, its really soiled me on gec’s.
While I can't speak to the 83s because I don't have one, I can say that of the GECs I have, not a single one has any side to side play whatsoever. I think I read here somewhere that it isn't terribly uncommon with GEC lockbacks, and they haven't gotten that pattern nailed down as well as others. 🤷‍♂️

gorgeous knife and like most, was surprised to see this still in stock as we speak at multiple dealers.

Quality looks spectacular as all GEC are but this one I will pass on due to being overpriced given brand-new replicas from 1983 go for about $60-80.

While I can't speak to the 83s because I don't have one, I can say that of the GECs I have, not a single one has any side to side play whatsoever. I think I read here somewhere that it isn't terribly uncommon with GEC lockbacks, and they haven't gotten that pattern nailed down as well as others. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, most have the up and down play. I understand that as lockback isnt gecs forte. And the up and down doesnt affect the actual usage very much. One of mine just flops in the wind. Though this isnt the thread to complain about the 83s. Im just voicing my concern about buying anymore gecs when they let floppy knives out of the factory. The chance of one of these being floppy seems very low but if it were to happen it would be wasted money as its not worth it to me to send it back to get fixed. 170 is a lot to waste.

gorgeous knife and like most, was surprised to see this still in stock as we speak at multiple dealers.

Quality looks spectacular as all GEC are but this one I will pass on due to being overpriced given brand-new replicas from 1983 go for about $60-80.
Well, first the Prospector not a replica of anything. The new "1173", other than being a smallish 2 blade trapper, is quite different from the real 1173. The Prospector is a GEC #73 pattern, and an expensive one at that.
Concerning the price, the Delrin 1173s are well under $100, but the bone handled models, while harder to find, are closer to the price of the Prospector.

Last edited:
Back