Reno 2006 Preview - A Sneak Peek at some Cool Knives!

The assembly of talent at Reno is truly something special. I am hopeful that we’ll get a look at several of the pieces that will be on display there. Makers – please post your Reno knives here and let us all have a peek. For anyone that would like, e-mail me your pics with a brief description and I’ll post them up for you.

This first group of knives are in various stages of completion. First up from A Master Smith named Fisk, will all be engraved before gracing his table at Reno:

Here’s a classic stag Sendero with wolf’s tooth pattern damascus:

orig.jpg

Next up is a model named Rover – as Fisk explains” “ No, I did not name it after my dog. I wanted a name of a knife that was for people who traveled, be it hiking, oing about in the bush hunting, some type of getting about. I did not know how to spell excursionist or how to pronounce it, both words mean about the same, it is for somone hitting the brush. So, Rover it will be. Anyway, Rover here has a 5160 steel blade that was forged from round bar, double tempered, stainless guard with sheep horn handle.

orig.jpg

Finally, an upscale version of Jerry’s military model with a white one-piece walrus tusk for the handle and a unique “fallen ladder” damascus pattern for the blade:

orig.jpg

Next, from the talented hands of Master Smith Bailey Bradshaw is a very special folder called “Pegasus”. It is a folding bowie model FB3 with a forged blade of 52100. Pegasus is rendered in copper with a 22k gold mane. There are also 22k inlays that flow off his wings into the scroll work. All the engraving is carved, so it is very dimensional. The entire knife will be hot gun blued after engraving.

orig.jpg

Last up for now - here is the engraving work just completed on Fisk's Rover above:

orig.jpg

Hopefully we'll have a bunch more knives real soon. :)

Roger

Thanks for the pics. The Military Model is my favorite, but Bailey's engraving did take my breath away.

Generally, I'd not like a folder with a horse engraved on it, but I must say, Bailey's horse engraving is the exception, Neil at TNK had a similar knife recently with a horse engraved on it, and it's just done so nicely, and I love the way he does the manes in 22K gold.

In case anybody is interested in seeing what that knife looked like, I dug up the pic, nice ivory too. :)

Of course all of the Fisks are amazing as well. :)

BB7731.jpg

BB7732.jpg

Next we have the always much-anticipated selection from Dan Farr. Most of the knives below are forged CPM 1V (1% vanadium) which Dan has been very happy with, even though it is tough to forge.

This is Dan's first coffin handle:

standard.jpg

A neat pair of hunters:

standard.jpg

And a very cool matched camp set:

standard.jpg

Dan says these knives are still "rough" and not yet fully finished, but they look real good to me. :)

Roger

You can always count on Rik Palm to turn out knives that are as beautiful as they are distinctive. I don't have a lot of info on the knives below, but there isn't one among them I wouldn't be proud to call my own.

The first one, in particular, called "Scrolly" would look just great sitting on a small stand on my desk. I believe that four differnt types of steel were blended in the making of this knife:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

VERY cool knives.

Roger

Let’s take a look next at sampling from Ed Caffrey’s table – where one can always be sure to find a truly stunning array of cutlery.

As usual, Ed has all the bases covered – with a tempting selection of Bowies:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Hunters:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

and Folders:

orig.jpg

Roger

WOW - some mighty impressive pieces here, Dan Farrs work really does it for me, and that Fisk guy seems to be improving :D .

Any way heres a preview of one of Ron Newtons pieces that will be at the show ....... a simply stunning Persian Bowie that reinforces my current thinking of making it to Reno in 2007!

Heres how Ron describes it:

11" forged L6 blade with a 1500 grit satin finish and long clip grind. Forged and carved nickel silver guard with deep relief scrolls and trailing beads. Fileworked nickel silver front ferrule. Black ebony persian ball handle with 31 hand sawn pearl inlays of white and gold lip pearl in the shape of fleur-de-lis. 15 inlays per side with one on the spine side of handle. Bass wood lined and leather covered silver tip and throat sheath. Ebony and white pearl fleur-de-lis inlay in the frog button. Silver tip has a matching formed clip to compliment blade. The back of the sheath has been sewn with a flush baseball stitch.

RN%20Persian%201.jpg

And look at that inlaid handle :eek:

RN%20Persian%202.jpg

More to come in the following days ....

Thanks for the preview Ron!

Stephen

I love these threads
amazing level of craft,distinct styles..and wonderful variety.
Thank You
I Love that Friction folder!
Ron That piece must have almost done you in...Crickey!

Stephen - that Newton is just AWESOME! Thanks for the look.

Here are a couple more terrific blades from Bailey Bradshaw:

The first is a D guard Champagne sabre. Forged W-2, clay heat treated, a blued damascus D-guard, ferrule and pommel, maidou burl handle all in a take down construction. The blade is 17".

orig.jpg

Second is a " Rodgers" bowie, so named as it is influenced by the work from Joseph Rodgers of Sheffield. The blade is again forged W-2, clay heat treated. The spine is carved with running leaves. Guard and ferrule are multi bar blued damascus, stag handle, and the pommel is made from shakudo ( alloy of copper with 4% gold) that is has a rich purple/black patina. The finial is heat colored stainless.

orig.jpg

Very neat stuff. I WILL own a Bradshaw sword one day. More to come from Bailey yet!

Roger

All amazing knives. Bailey's work really appeals to me, and that saber is incredible. That top horse engraving is also breathtaking. Ron's knife...yowsa! I don't even know how a craftsman can do such a detailed inlay.

Well all I can say to you lucky B@*#&D's that will be going to Reno is ...... not postable :D That sword of Baileys is superb.

Ron Newton has been busy, and has sent us a preview of this beautiful Pearl and Damascus lock back folder. Rons description:

A mosaic damascus and carved pearl lockback folder. The steel shows picture scenes of prospectors panning for gold beside a stream with a cactus in the background and a longhorn steer skull in the foreground. The steels used were 15n20, 1084, 1059, 1018, ni200, and 203E. The bolster shows one prospector with 24kt. gold in his pan. The handle is carved m.o.p. in a floral leaf pattern. Liners are hardened 410 stainless. Back spring is O1 with gold nugget carving,24kt gold accents and 410 stainless release tab. Blade length is 3.25".

Amazing ......

Image-4930164383A411DA.jpg

Hey Stephen thanks for that Ron Newton Persian Bowie pic.That's One Cool Freakin' Bowie-I Like Everything About it.I'll bet it feels Great in Hand too.:cool:

Now here's something you don't see everyday. It is an integral Persian style blade, 11" of forged L-6 from 2" round bar. The spine has two grooves that wrap around the ricasso and end in a point just behind the start of the clip. The handle is ivory, and the knife finishes off with a blued nickle damascus pommel and stainless finial with gold lip pearl inlay.

By Bailey Bradshaw:

orig.jpg

And I'm lovin' it!

Roger

Two more from Rik Palm.

The first is a neat little knife, made from a low twist count 1084 / 15n20 twist (cutting edge) welded together with a railroad spike:

orig.jpg

The knife turned out to be 9 inches overall length with a 4 1/2 inch blade about 1 1/8 inch at its widest. Full length distal taper starting at about 3/16 thick, swedge is not sharpened. Its about 5/16 thick at the guard and 5/8 inch thick at its butt. For a neat little tutorial on the making of this knife, have a peek here:

http://www.knifesmith.com/pictorials/railroadspike/railroad.html

Next up is a Relic knife, this one has a guard and handle spacer.
Its about 11 1/2 inches over all with a 6 1/2 inch heavy textured blade, weathered antler crown, 1018 guard and handle spacer.

orig.jpg

Roger

Roger,

Thanks for the great thread!

I don't collect folders. I don't like stag crown handles. I prefer classic fixed blade designs.

I can't explain it, but that crown stag friction folder by Palm REALLY floats my boat. :cool:

A VERY exciting knife, imho.

If I were going, I'd be all over Bailey's integral persian and Jerry's dress Military.

Roger - would you know what the prices are for those? Feel free to PM me...

Back