Reno 2006 Preview - A Sneak Peek at some Cool Knives!

I'm right with you Joss. I actually have a matched integral Persian set on order with Bailey. The plan is for W's damascus with some gold inlay in the bolster. Having seen the "plain" carbon steel version, I am now being tugged in that direction.

The first time I heard Jerry was going to produce a mosaic damascus / mammoth ivory / engraved verion of his military model I was nt sure I would like it. And I didn't - I LOVED it. This looks to be another great one.

And I keep seeing Rik Palm's "Scrolly" on a small stand on my desk at the office. Now all I need is a major donation to the Pinnock Knife Aquisition Fund and an airline ticket to Reno. :D

PM on the way.

Roger

PS - Woops, no PMs 'till I renew my gold membership. Shoot me an e-mail, Joss.

Peter you'd have to Wrassle me for the Friction folder...I wish I was going.

thanks so much for the preview thread. lots of great pieces! the caffrey ivory bowie, palm's stag folder & bailey's persian are my favorites i think. should be a great show!

A few more from Dan Farr. This entire group features forged CMP 1V for the blades, and they are etched accordingly:

standard.jpg

That one on the middle really speaks to me...

Roger

After seeing this thread I am sorely disappointed I will not be attending the show. I guess if I could attend I would be sorely disappointed that I do not have any money to spend :).

Dan's larger hunters are killing me and Bailey's work is his typical smoking stuff.

I hope those able to make the show have a good time and take plenty of photos for the less fortunate :).

Matt

Here's a peek at that Fisk Military with the engraving completed:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Roger

RogerP said:
That one on the middle really speaks to me... Roger
I see that one lasting, ohhhhhhh, about fifteen minutes..... :eek:

Thanks for this generous thread, Roger!

Coop

Larry Fuegen's work can usually be summed up in one word: exquisite. Here is a peek at a couple of his Reno knives.

Bowie - 7 and 3/4 inch 5160 carbon steel handforged blade, handrubbed satin finish, carved and engraved nickel silver guard and end cap, amboyna burl wood handle with ebony and nickel silver spacers. Custom sheath with frogskin overlay, and engraved nickel silver button. Overall length is 12. 5 inches:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Hunter - 4.5 inch blade ladder pattern Dam. blade with filework. It has an engraved steel guard and end cap with a fancy nickel silver spacer. The handle is curly koa. Custom sheath with a brown frog overlay.

orig.jpg

One of Larry's exceptional Gargoyle folders will also be gracing his table - hopefully we'll see some pics of that one hwn complete.

Thanks for these pics Riad!

Roger

This isGargoyle folder Forged Scroll Folder # 145 from Larry Fuegen
Gargoyle type face, matched whitetail crown stag handle which is carved, 3.75 inch ladder pattern Damascus blade with filework. Two carved walrus Ivory teeth, and mammoth ivory bladestop. Full filework inside and out. Nickel silver liners, 14 k rose gold tongue. Eyes are genuine ruby cabechons. Display base of walnut with a Laumontite Prehnite mineral speciman from Prospect Park, NJ. Overall opened length is approx. 9 inches.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Most cool.

Roger

Another offering from Ron Newton, this time a massive 13" southwestern style bowie forged of L6 with a 1000 grit handrubbed finish. Exhibition grade stag handle with mosaic damascus guard and ferrule. Dovetailed and mortised tang construction. Overall length: 18.5

:eek: :eek:

MVC-170F.jpg

MVC-171F.jpg

This one will be in the silent auction!

This is Rons final and most intricate offering for Reno .....:eek:

This knife is quite the mechanical gizmo. Probably the coolest of all mechanisms I've ever built. It has 5 independent springs to make the knife function 5 ways. Also the mechanisms are trick and hidden. The key shown in the photo can be placed along with one's car keys on a key ring. To mention 2 of the 5 functions, the key can be placed in a secret location to activate a manual knife operation mode. The key can be installed in another secret location to activate an assisted opening mode. Even if the key is ever lost there are two other secret ways to activate the knife in both manual and assisted opening modes. This will all be revealed to the purchaser of the knife.
Materials:
My own mosaic steel of W2/L6/1095/15n20 in the 3" blade and bolsters. Carved gold lip pearl. Coin edged and blue anodized Titanium liners. O1 toolsteel back spacer with Celtic knot engraving. Spring materials are O1, Titanium, 1095 music wire and 440c steel. Liner locking mechanism.

MVC-173F.jpg

MVC-174F.jpg

MVC-175F.jpg

Just in awe as I try and wrap my head around that folder
Newton..Newton ..Newton..

I am amazed by Ron's technical skills.

This being said, my brain doesn't respond to either his bowies. They're just not the kind of proportions I find graceful. Good news since I probably can't afford them! :D

That Newton bowie is a big beautiful beast. I just love the mosaic damascus he used for the fittings. Words fail on that folder... :eek: :eek:

Roger

Well, I had some unforeseen problems in the shop, and did not get my monster 52100 bowie done, or the damascus fighter... but here are three I'll have at Reno.

First is a 1000 layer ladder pattern hunter with ss guard and Sambar stag

standard.jpg

Next knife was going to be a Js test knife, but I decided to sell it. It's W2 with a hamon that wraps all the way around the blade with a 1500x finish, 416 guard, and Amboyna burl handle. This is the cleanest hunter I've ever made.

standard.jpg

And the last image I'm going to get up here, is a bowie that I'm not selling, at least not yet. I won best bowie/fighter at the BAKCA show with it, and will use it for one of my Js test knives this June.

It's a 10.5" blade of 1084 taken to 1200X, fluted 416 guard and "ferrule" spacer, with premium Ironwood handle

standard.jpg

Thanks for look'n! :D

Off to the air-port I go :cool:

Thanks for posting those up Nick - they look great! I'm partial to the bowie (big surprise ;) ).

Roger

Back