Request to Thomas W... (everyone else, listen up - this concerns the Leek)

Now see... I haven't found a Spyderco that compares. I don't really like their designs...

Back to my original thought though and to answer the question that jnphares didn't ask... the G10 may be grippy, but if I wanted a knife that thick I'd buy a Spec Bump. That knife is too thick for a short blade like it has (the G-10/S30V Leek). Now, back to that question ;-) The beauty of the titanium handle is that it's naturally grippy and not smooth like the aluminum handles that come standard issue with the regular Leeks. Along with its thin profile and light weight... holy cow, you have an ABSOLUTE winner.

As for serrated or plain, well that argument is for somewhere else, but as the OP I vote serrated (more utility) Random Leek blade wrapped in a titanium-handled blanket and that is my knife of choice. I've field-tested it for over a year and it's a damn fine combo that I hope Thomas passes up the chain with some enthusiasm... if so, you guys will be thanking me...

Alright... The composite D2 blade would light my fire too - as long as it's wearing titanium.

Thanks for your input guys,
-RC

I'm right here.

Thanks for the RL idea(s), we'll kick it around for awhile and see what happens. I agree that any Ti version would be sweet.

On a similar note, we will be introducing a boutique run (1000 pieces) of Random Leek's in a stonewashed 14C28N plain-edged blade (our first knife with that steel), with a standard framelock. MSRP $69.95. Model # will be a 1660TSW. Delivery is scheduled for early Sept.

Sounds great Thomas!! I'll be looking out for these!!:thumbup:

: But what I would be happy with is just a plain edge random leek. I cant seem to find them anywhere locally and have trouble finding them online. :(

There's that place out by the " Bay ". Just seen 2 of them.

Yeah, but one of em is that place that got horrible reviews in the GB&U. Search there for threads I've started.

Alright... The composite D2 blade would light my fire too - as long as it's wearing titanium.

Kinda like the 2nd one down?....;)

26d1.jpg

Kinda like the 2nd one down?....;)

26d1.jpg

I don't know why but I really like that tanto bladed Leek. :thumbup:

It would be cool if Kershaw made a composite tanto Leek. But I don't think the tanto blade is as popular as the regular version, so I won't hold my breath.

Alright... what we need is for Kershaw (this one is on you Thomas) to develop and sell the parts and kits that will provide Leek lovers with luscious combinations of blades and handles.

If they sold say the new D2 Composite blade - say $30, and then the titanium handles - say $50 and finally a kit with "upgraded brass washers and bushings, etc... for say $15... that would be truly amazing.

This woud be great because currently my problem is the lack of titanium handles. I don't want to buy the $120 ZDP-189 Leek again JUST to get its titanium handles. Titanium is better on all accounts (it does scratch more, I don't care though) for being lighter, naturally grippy, and keeping the knife thin (the G-10 is not thin).

Think of this though... the availability to buy your own parts. Want to upgrade your knife? Cool, buy a Random Leek S30V blade and sell you 440A on Ebay to the guy who broke his tip off. Want better handles? Trade in for black ones instead of plain-Jane silver. And then again, providing better "parts" that would improve opening and longevity would provide an amazing avenue for "custom" knives. It's like having your very own custom Sebenza at a fraction of the cost - that's right, I compared my Random Leeked titanium-clad FrankenLeek to the Sebenza, HA!

Now... Thomas... when you say, "Hey Ryan, you should come work for us at Kershaw..." I will gladly accept your invitation, ;-) Seriously though, this would make Kershaw so much money; just look at all the Leek lovers and followers. It's a cult bigger than the Sebenza crowd. And then... just think about the larger Leeks... wew... now there's a money maker.

My $.03,
RC

oh YEAH, what he said! Cuz I would love a black RT blade, with black hardware, and titanium handles - AWESOME!

To everybody who talk's about a larger Leek, I've always thought of the SHALLOT as a large Leek. Ok so the blade has a little recurve to it. That could be changed to the Leek style blade shape and, wala, a large Leek is born !
Just my opinion though.

make a big RT blade for the Shallot & I'd be plenty happy!!!!!!!!!
As it is the regular blade looks sexy but isn't my preferred utility shape.

AB
SO
LUTELY!

I have one of the original Chesapeake Random leeks & love it, except for the combo-edge blade. That is a fantastic overall package that couyld use a little updating:

plain edge = check
modified reverse tanto "random" blade = check
ti-handled frame lock = check

No matter what blade steel, that's a winner winner winner!
BUT I would still like to advocate for something a little special, like SG2 or ZDP or even D2, because think how greal a composite random leek blade would look!

[now for total fantasy time : make it XL with a 3.5"+ blade)

XL with a 3.5"+ blade? Genius:D. Count me in for a Leek with Ti handles and S30V steel.

I do agree. Make the blade a little sturdier for larger tasks and more length... and of course clad in titanium.

Thomas... are you writing this down?

-RC

Stole one of SVRiders pics and photochopped it some:

26d1hd9.jpg

I marked some lines for the CPM D2 Composite blades w/ the Ti handles.

Whatcha think fellurs?

That's not bad. I'd like to see one done up in a pattern that resembles the new serrations. I think that would look good, especially on a serrated blade.

Stole one of SVRiders pics and photochopped it some:

26d1hd9.jpg

I marked some lines for the CPM D2 Composite blades w/ the Ti handles.

Whatcha think fellurs?

I think I want my Ti scales back!! :grumpy:
;)

Looks good. As DV mentioned, pattern the line like the new serrations and
that would look sweet. :thumbup:

Back