[Resolved] 0560 blade play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 0560 from kershawguy not long ago, mostly because my 0550 was away for repairs for the second time. When I got the 0560 it was perfect. Solid, no flex, early lockup and strong detent. I stopped being a neurotic flipper after the 0550 destroyed my fingers and still had the problems I sent it in for. I got that 0550 back and it's fine, but kept the 0560 as my work knife anyway.

After less than two weeks of normal use, it's developed play. No excessive flipping, nothing ridiculous. I never took it apart, having decided to keep this as a straight user without fiddling. Now, blade play. Showed up a couple days ago, got worse. Looks like the corner of the lock bar is flaring out and losing contact area.

Yeah, I know I can send it in and all that. I probably will on Tuesday after a phone call. I'm bummed because I only used this as it should have been. No abuse, no play flipping, just regular cutting, and now the wiggle is audible.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problems man. Hopefully ur luck starts to turn around with your zt knives.

Mine has a bit of play also. I flip it almost constantly though. But really it had it from the get go.

Bummer, same thing happened to my 0560 so I sold it. Hope your issue will get resolved.

Can you take pics of the lock bar flaring?

0560lock1.jpg

0560lock2.jpg

0560lock3.jpg

Yeah that isn't right send it back for warranty. I think you just got a lemon.

What was/is wrong with your 0780's, Sticktodrum? The two I got where tight and lined up as far as blade centering, but the clip holes in the butt are not lined up. My Dad's was so bad they couldn't even repair it. The 0350 they replaced it with is great though. I still think they shouldn't have even bothered with the 0780, if they were going to send them out like that!

What was/is wrong with your 0780's, Sticktodrum? The two I got where tight and lined up as far as blade centering, but the clip holes in the butt are not lined up. My Dad's was so bad they couldn't even repair it. The 0350 they replaced it with is great though. I still think they shouldn't have even bothered with the 0780, if they were going to send them out like that!

The first one I got had vertical play, and taking it apart showed that the lock bar was barely touching the tang. It got better as it wore in a bit, but it never went away. I've yet to hear from them regarding that. The second one I got had vertical play, and centering issues that I was unable to resolve with the usual simple fixes. That one wasn't ever actually used, so it's sitting in the box. The third one I got about a week ago is actually not bad, and as close to satisfactory as I assume I'm ever going to get. The blade play isn't really there unless you muscle it (engagement area is slightly bigger from what I can see on the tang, but I don't want to take this one apart), and the blade is centered. When I hear back from ZT about the 0780 of mine they currently have, then I'll decide whether or not I use that good one. I'll likely keep the other one I have as a prop/collector piece since the model tanked so badly.

However, here I sit with 3 Skylines, a Cryo that was beaten into wood with a hammer, and a new SS Volt, and all of them are literally, perfect. Go figure. To compound my 0560's fantastic longevity, shaking it makes the blade play audible, so it's not lock flex. I've spent so much on ZTs, and the ONLY one that's never given me an issue was a 0200 that I never even used. I stick by the brand, and am continuously let down that I likely won't ever buy another ZT. My obsession for collecting Kershaws in general is quelled, since the ZT designs are enjoyable and I prefer them for work use. I just can't accept spending hundreds to open the box, and then pack it in another one to send it back to them.

Last edited:
I would tap that little flare back where it should be with a hammer, then file it smooth. The damage looks a lot like a spine whack failure.

Considering, as I've said, I've done nothing outlandish with this knife, a "spine whack failure" can't be what it is. There was no spine whack. I'm also not going to risk voiding my warranty hammering and filing something, leaving me with an expensive paperweight. It's packed up and going out tomorrow. Thanks.

I would tap that little flare back where it should be with a hammer, then file it smooth. The damage looks a lot like a spine whack failure.

Are you trying to screw people over? haha

Similar boat as you OP, accept mine had play right out of the box and I've flipped it A LOT. No spine whacks here and I'd wager most people with blade play on their 056X's haven't either...

Makes me realize if even considering ZTs would be worth it, seeing as they cost so much. My regular Kershaws more than do the job and I was on the fence with ZT. Looks like this thread really opened my eyes.

Wow I want one of these, but the common problems scare me

I picked up a 0560 from kershawguy not long ago, mostly because my 0550 was away for repairs for the second time. When I got the 0560 it was perfect. Solid, no flex, early lockup and strong detent. I stopped being a neurotic flipper after the 0550 destroyed my fingers and still had the problems I sent it in for. I got that 0550 back and it's fine, but kept the 0560 as my work knife anyway.

After less than two weeks of normal use, it's developed play. No excessive flipping, nothing ridiculous. I never took it apart, having decided to keep this as a straight user without fiddling. Now, blade play. Showed up a couple days ago, got worse. Looks like the corner of the lock bar is flaring out and losing contact area.

Yeah, I know I can send it in and all that. I probably will on Tuesday after a phone call. I'm bummed because I only used this as it should have been. No abuse, no play flipping, just regular cutting, and now the wiggle is audible.

Between this 0560, the ordeal with the 0550, and all 3 0780s, I'm just severely disappointed with ZT. 30+ Kershaws, some extremely abused, not one ever had these problems. I wonder why I spend the money.

i have had about 7 zt's. all have preformed awesome. but my 560 just did the same thing, i called zt and i got a new one overnighted to me with a return shipping label and box for the broken on. super nice and it was the 1st problem i have had with any zt i have owned before.

just give them a call, shit happens. i mean look at the recall numbers on cars. right now Mr. coffee has a new coffee pot maker that has 50+ recorded incidents or erupting in steam and hot coffee in owners faces lol. at the end of the day at least ZT will fix up the 0560

Mine has the slightest amount of vertical play. It also had it straight out of box. Squeezing the lock bar in further takes away the play though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back