[Resolved] 0560 blade play

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 055X and 056X lock faces are already carbidized from the factory, so attempting to do so again won't actually do anything. One has to understand the difference between actual play and lock bar flex caused by design of the lock.

I too had lock and blade play issues with a ZT560. I had to send it to ZT twice before the issues were resolved. I also had a 300 and a 301 that developed lock rock and vertical blade play. ZT fixed both of them. They replaced the ti lock side on the 300. I am not sure how they fixed the 301. At any rate, my confidence in ZT knives has really gone down. I have but one left, a 350. I will hang on to that one as it is special to me.

ZT customer service was very good to me in each problem I had. The ZT folks that post here in the forums were absolutely wonderful. And, I commend them for their work. But, for the money, we really shouldn't be having these types of issues with this many of their knives.

I still own a TILT, but sold my 0550 and my 561.

It was either put pencil lead on the lock face and have the first signs of lock rock (lock bar sliding on the tang with only moderate pressure on the back of the blade) or clean the face of the lock with alcohol which resulted in better lockup, but a sticky lock. Seems I could find the sweet spot, too sensitive for me. However I plan on getting the composite 0560:rolleyes:

The 055X and 056X lock faces are already carbidized from the factory, so attempting to do so again won't actually do anything. One has to understand the difference between actual play and lock bar flex caused by design of the lock.

my 560 was definitely not carbidized, but maybe they changed this with the newer runs. my 0560 also didn't have any play what so ever.

Like most knives, particularly folders, they are imperfect. So, buy good knives with good resale. And fewer knives.

I would tap that little flare back where it should be with a hammer, then file it smooth. The damage looks a lot like a spine whack failure.

If this is the advise you give out please stop. I hope no one actually listens to you and does that. Removing a damn nanometer of material from the lockface will significantly change lockup and destroy your warranty.

As much as I like Ti. It really is a crappy material to make a framelock with. At a minimum ill say that every manufacturer needs to beet treat it like CRK does. The LBS also doesn't help. It can prevent you from moving the lockbar out of the way completely when you close the blade

I hope Kershaw/ZT start hardening the lockface, put a steel insert in the 0561/0560 or do something to address the issues with the lock up... people shouldn't be having these issues with a +200 knife. I understand that sometimes irregularities happen with production knives but it seems that atleast half of the people who have the ZT 0561/0560 have issues with the lock up of the knife including myself.

. The LBS also doesn't help. It can prevent you from moving the lockbar out of the way completely when you close the blade

It doesn't on my 0551, my 0550, my SmF or my SnG.
Unless something is weird with the 0560 and 0561, it won't prevent it on that either.

My Zt 0561 came with audible play blay, and I figured that the lock would wear in to stop the play.
It's been over 2 months now and it's still the same, maybe worse.
Really disappointed with ZT, why do I even bother sending it in, seeing that they do nothing to get rid of the play?
Saved up and waited for one, still so disappointed

You may want to consider moving up to a Strider or Sebenza or XM-18. Costs a lot more, but you get solid, dependable knives. Just a thought.

Both my 550's had to be sent in for play with almost no use. My 560 had to be sent in as well, and has deveopled play again already. My 780 was a nightmare form the outset and I sent it in. When I received it it had been sharpened, but the pay hadn't been resolved. I haven't bought nay ZT's since. I may by more in the future, but I have been unimpressed with their quality. KAI is great but I hate having to send every knife in and having it gone for months at a time.

I've really stopped buying many Ti framelocks because of all this. I will give the 566 a try since it is steel.

My Zt 0561 came with audible play blay, and I figured that the lock would wear in to stop the play.
It's been over 2 months now and it's still the same, maybe worse.
Really disappointed with ZT, why do I even bother sending it in, seeing that they do nothing to get rid of the play?
Saved up and waited for one, still so disappointed

If it's not a blem, it's covered by their warranty. They WILL fix it. They fixed mine, even though it took two trips they did fix it. They fixed my 300 and 301 as well. But, after having them fixed I was a bit gun shy of the knives. So, I moved on.

You may want to consider moving up to a Strider or Sebenza or XM-18. Costs a lot more, but you get solid, dependable knives. Just a thought.

Yeah, so if the $250 knife is not up to snuff you need to spend $400 and up to get a good knife? So far the only "problems" I've had with the 561 are that the detente isn't optimal (just OK), the lock sticks (which is remedied by reapplication of sharpie on the tang) and the screws for the clip don't work on the G10 side in tip up. Listening to all these problems I'm scared to send it in. I think the clip problem is endemic to a knife with thin Ti liners where the screws go directly in the liner. There isn't enough depth to ensure that they don't strip. Hence, even getting a new knife wouldn't necessarily correct the problem, which is shared with a lot of other knife designs. All of this has made me appreciate the Southard that much more. Doesn't seem to have *any* of these problems (though, to be fair, it doesn't have any options for anything other than RH tip up carry). Ironic because NutNFancy raved about the 560 and panned the Southard.

BTW, the Southard does not have a carbidized lock face. It's heat treated rather than carbidized according to Brad, himself.

Also, I should say that neither the Southard nor the ZT 561 have *any* blade play whatsoever. Absolutely rock solid.

This issue was resolved a long time ago, and handled perfectly. Why are fools all of a sudden posting crap here? I'm closing this when I get to my computer.

Nice thread stick, I will speak for the silent majority and say that I have never had to send a kershaw or zt in for warranty work and used the hell out of all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back