[Resolved] 0560 blade play

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have had about 7 zt's. all have preformed awesome. but my 560 just did the same thing, i called zt and i got a new one overnighted to me with a return shipping label and box for the broken on. super nice and it was the 1st problem i have had with any zt i have owned before.

just give them a call, shit happens. i mean look at the recall numbers on cars. right now Mr. coffee has a new coffee pot maker that has 50+ recorded incidents or erupting in steam and hot coffee in owners faces lol. at the end of the day at least ZT will fix up the 0560

I do agree that Kershaw/ZTs CS is pretty good, but the fact you gotta box up and ship it to them after spending hundreds of dollars is not worth the hassle, time and money after spending so much. I'm not dissing the company, I just feel that when so much money is spent by the consumer on a ZT knife, QC/testing really need to go the extra mile before the knives are shipped out. Also, when you have sub $60 that can do the job, it really makes you ponder if its worth the risk spending all that money after hearing from the BF members.

If ZT really overnighted the knife to you without you shipping the faulty knife to them first, I will shut my mouth. But, I somehow find that hard to believe.

Without seeing the knife, I find it hard to believe they'd just send out a new one, too. For one they'd not know for sure there was a problem, (just going to take the owner's word?) and they'd not know if they could fix it, or have to replace it and they'd not even know if the caller had ever bought a knife.

Besides, that's not what ZT says they will do, so jwblack911 got special treatment?

"For warranty service, please return product via UPS, Fed-Ex, or US Post Office with Delivery Confirmation. There must be a way to track your package through your carrier. Zero Tolerance Knives cannot be responsible unless we have confirmation that your package was delivered to us. When you send your knife in for service, please include ALL information required on the form. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery."

Besides, that's not what ZT says they will do, so jwblack911 got special treatment?

"For warranty service, please return product via UPS, Fed-Ex, or US Post Office with Delivery Confirmation. There must be a way to track your package through your carrier. Zero Tolerance Knives cannot be responsible unless we have confirmation that your package was delivered to us. When you send your knife in for service, please include ALL information required on the form. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery."

Good call Jill! jwblack911 has some explaining to do.

Maybe he did call and they did overnight a new knife to him and prepaid shipping labels for his defective one, but they sure didn't when my Dad's 0780 was defective out of the box. They received it on August 9TH, he called them to tell them about another issue with the knife,(he'd forgot to mention) on the same day and he just received his replacement back last Thursday.

Last edited:
i think that might depends on who you talk to. when i first got in contact with ZT for my 550, the first rep told me he can send out shipping slip to send mine in. the second rep said i had to pay shipping. i'm sure there are one or two who just might send out the knife. i'm sure that's not what's supposed to happen tho..

So customer service is hit or miss like the knives?

I can't imagine any company just sending you a new knife before they even get the old one back.

Overnight shipping isn't cheap either.

How much bladeplay are we talking of?
How much force is needed to get the blade to move?

Sticktodrum, Do any of your Kershaw's you are comparing the ZT's to have a Ti framelock? I am of the opinion that a hardened SS blade tang to Ti lock bar is not an ideal mechanical interface. Obviously, it can be done, but obviously it can be screwed up very easily. Not saying it should not be done, but it would worry me on a newer model knife from any company. Also, how many other Ti frame locks has ZT done? Not overly familiar with everything they have done, but if the Ti frame lock is newer to them, then maybe they did not get it quite right. Thanks for the nice pictures (awesome shot of the bearing system also), that helps a lot.

Sticktodrum, Do any of your Kershaw's you are comparing the ZT's to have a Ti framelock? I am of the opinion that a hardened SS blade tang to Ti lock bar is not an ideal mechanical interface. Obviously, it can be done, but obviously it can be screwed up very easily. Not saying it should not be done, but it would worry me on a newer model knife from any company. Also, how many other Ti frame locks has ZT done? Not overly familiar with everything they have done, but if the Ti frame lock is newer to them, then maybe they did not get it quite right. Thanks for the nice pictures (awesome shot of the bearing system also), that helps a lot.

The 0300 is a titanium framelock by ZT which I hear is an awesome knife. Haven't heard any problems with that one. Also, Kershaw has a few framelocks as well, I don't think the issue is lack of experience. I think this one is probably just a dud, a step was missed in production, or ZT needs to rethink and iron out their production of the 0560.

If this problems scare YOU that are on the US, with official customer service available... try to see it from my POV.... being in Spain! ZT knives really do appeal to me but having QC issues scare me a lot.
Mikel

The 0300 is a titanium framelock by ZT which I hear is an awesome knife. Haven't heard any problems with that one. Also, Kershaw has a few framelocks as well, I don't think the issue is lack of experience. I think this one is probably just a dud, a step was missed in production, or ZT needs to rethink and iron out their production of the 0560.

I figured ZT had some other Ti framelocks. Hopefully for them and customers it was one bad batch, there is more than one instance from guys chiming in here. I bet though if ZT has issues they will own up and take care of everyone. I know Kershaw has framelocks, not sure if any are Ti. I think there was a JYD that was Ti, not sure if it was R.I.L or liner lock though.

As was asked, and answered, on the issue of framelocks, I have a JYD that's a Ti framelock, and it doesn't have lock flex, and while I've never hard used it, it's seen its fair share of hobby-flipping and hasn't incurred any issues. By now, it's actually been opened and closed much much more than my 0560, since I've had the 0560 for less than two weeks, and only opened it for regular use. As well, the 0300 series has been in production for years, and I've yet to hear or read of this kind of issues. I think ZT/Kershaw can do Ti framelocks just fine, or framelocks just fine.

The 0780 wasn't either. It's a thick steel liner lock, and that whole run was cursed with poor QC and general build quality. I would know, I have/had three of them. The issues I've seen from these blades is that they aren't machining the lock faces to contact the tang to a significant extent. On the 0780s it's a tiny fraction of the lock that touches the tang, and similarly on the 0560. I don't know for certain, as I'm not a knife designer, or an engineer. However I have trouble digesting that these issues make me feel like buying a new ZT design constitutes an actual risk.

I just got a 0561 in the mail friday and out of the box the lockup is perfect, I've owned and sold off 3 or 4 0560s and they all had a little bit of play in them , but this 561 is rock solid, but it did come butter knife dull , grantd i got the first 56x series that didnt have any play, but the damn thing is literally like a butter knife, when i saw that i put it up for trade along with my 0300 that is also about 2 weeks old , but it's perfect and sharp as hell and i'm gonna try to get me a more expensive knife, the 561 is awesome and i dunno why it doesnt have play and my 560s did, i posted a few minutes ago in a different thread bout how it seems like the quality is improving the higher the serial numbers go, they just forgot how to sharpen a knife. Every 56x series knife iv'e owned as had something wrong with it like i said all the 560s had a little bit of blade, not much but im obsessive about that and the slightest play will not be tolerated on a 260.00 knife by me, so i sold them off, but i loved the style of the knife so i decided to get the 561 and its got the great lockup, perfect detent, everything, it would be what i consider the perfect 56x series knife except for the fact that it came dull, and sure i can sharpen it up in a few minutes, but that's not the point when i drop 260.00 on a knife i want a sharp hair popping edge and and bank vault lockup, and zero tolerance can't give me either one in the same knife.

Last edited:
Here's the lockup on mine no blade play...

2ee99x4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back