1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Bad Rick Barrett (Resolved)

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Havoc550, Nov 19, 2019.

1. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR
    [​IMG]

Imperius Tanto Biohazard, MokuTi Fallout Flipper, Skulltap Hawkbill Biohazard, Wasteland Overlord Frame Lock Knife, Fallout Mid-Tech Flipper, Honor Tanto Proto Flipper, Custom Fallout Flipper, Toxic Fallout Flipper, Goblin Necker Fixed, , rickbarrett rickbarrettCustom rickbarrettknives rickbarrettknife barrettcustomknives @barrettcustomknives barrettcustomknives.com

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    LizaMari, bonky and WValtakis like this.
  2. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Exactly what I thought.

However in some states if threatened on your property, no matter what the cause, you have the right to use force so you might not do jail time.

Where I used to live, after the first threatening visit, you tell the sherrif you were threatened with physical harm. Second time the guy comes you can shoot him.

3. Dragon_Man

Dragon_Man

Apr 26, 2003
    Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR!

LizaMari and bonky like this.
  4. stonesell

stonesell Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I did collections for a magazine that sold ads. The clients failed to send checks so we had to go to their businesses and homes to collect. There were two of us, and we were unarmed, but of somewhat radical appearance. Our friendly demeanor put the clients at ease and we always got the checks for the boss. For a woman to do collections by herself is really quite dangerous, as pointed out in this story.

5. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Odd place to put this story, care to explain the inference? :)

6. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    The suggestion was to personally go and confront a wrong-doer. Such behavior may have unintended consequences. Being dead right is still being dead.

Not to mention that the law takes a dim view of "self help" in the U.S.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    AVigil and brownshoe like this.
  7. Pete1977

Pete1977 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Is this Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives in Goshen IN? The same Rick Barrett who took over 4 years to make a knife after having taken payment in full in advance? The same Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives in Goshen IN who held on to a collector’s payment of $2200? It does indeed seem that Rick Barrett is a thief and a liar.

Rick- you had the payment, in full and up front for four years, with piss poor communication and now refuse to refund the buyer before you sell the knife? Refund the money and sell the knife. This is your own fault and the OP held up his end of the transaction.

Good luck dealing with this thief, Rick Barrett, OP.

LizaMari, bonky, danbot and 5 others like this.
  8. Hale Storm

Hale Storm Kydex Whisperer Gold Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I won't be able to rest until I mention this part. At this point, why would the OP need to let the thief, Rick Barrett, sell the knife and THEN get his refund? I also think I read that it was stated by Barrett that he didn't want the OP to lose money on the sale. Seems to me, if Barrett sells the knife for less than $2200 then that has zero to do with OP and Barrett needs to pony up the balance himself.
    OP is due $2200 from Barrett. Period.
    I think we can all agree at this point there is NO knife and never was.
    On another note, the moment Barrett said he had something completed on the knife (beyond a damn sketch), I'd have asked for pics of whatever was completed.
    I gotta walk away from this. This liar and thief Rick Barrett really ticks me off.

9. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Who is this "Jim Skelton" who is flacking for Barrett?

10. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003

Do reviewers know you may never get the knife you pay for?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Dragon_Man likes this.
  11. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Did someone happen to mention the fact that RICK BARRETT IS A THIEF AND A LIAR?

I don’t know where I heard it, but a bunch of people have been telling me that RICK BARRETT, OWNER AND OPERATOR AT BARRETT CUSTOM KNIVES IN GOSHEN INDIANA stole 2200 dollars from a customer who waited 4 years for a knife that never came! RICK BARRETT IS A LIAR AND A THIEF
    RICK BARRETT IS A LIAR AND A THIEF
    RICK BARRETT IS A LIAR AND A THIEF

READ THAT AGAIN

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  12. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Wow really sorry to hear about this. Back in the day Rick was one of he good guys, I used to always stop by his table that the Bladeshow and look at what he had to offer.

I'm in no way excusing any of this behavior but I do think that you all are probably misinterpreting his "changes can be made at his discretion" thing. I think what he is saying is that if the customer comes to him with a change after a work is in progress he may or may not decide to make the change it's up to him. That's not unreasonable. One of the worst things in the world is a customer that keeps moving the goalpost on you. I had one of those once. I completed the project and sent pictures. He wanted to me to change X and Y. I changed X and Y. I sent pictures. Then he wanted me to change A and B. I changed A and B. I sent pictures. He wanted me to change E and F. I packaged his swords that I was fitting back up for him and sent them back at my expense and kept the scabbards that I built. At some point it was no longer worth the effort to try to meet the ever changing demands, you just cut your losses and move on.

Notably however, they were MY losses because I almost never charge anything up front.

The moral of the story is:

NEVER PAY UP FRONT NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!.

Sorry, I just had to say it. Maybe someday someone will listen...

benchwarmer380 and JJHollowman like this.
  13. JJHollowman

JJHollowman Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 16, 2016
    I just heard that Rick Barrett at Barrett custom knives is a thief and liar and that he stole $2200 from somebody who trusted him. I hope others don't make the same mistake.

Insipid Moniker and LizaMari like this.
  14. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Jim Skelton is a maker of way overpriced knife like objects. It doesn't surprise me that he would be supportive of a thief and liar.

15. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Good to know.

16. bonky

bonky Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Wait, I've heard a rumor that Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a Liar.

Is it true? That Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a Liar?

I'm not sure, but I think it best to verify rumors like
    Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR before I go repeating them, one never knows what could happen. If I were to repeat that Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR without verification, then it's possible that Google might reference future searches for Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR.

One can never be too careful. So has anyone heard if Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR? Or is it possible that Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR might be incorrect?

I'm just asking if Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR. If anyone knows whether or not

Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR please let me know.

Thanks!

17. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Up to page 3 of Google now.

Apparently Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR.

18. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Yeah weirdly enough I always see jim defending these guys on the facebook knife groups. His own past hasn't really caught up to him on there.

danbot likes this.
  19. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    Wow. I never would have believed Rick Barret was just another lying and thieving knife maker if it wasn’t for this thread. I was interested in the fallout

20. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    He supplies many knives to retailers, even as paid-for orders go years without delivery. Well, you gotta' make a buck.:rolleyes: