• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone, ANYONE (including Saints, Samaritans, Buddhas, etc etc etc) who says "send me a Rolex now and I'll send you a knife later" needs to be cut off immediately and never spoken to again about anything.

Of course you didn't get your knife, and now have a two year old problem. He is never sending you that knife, and you already know that. And yes, he will play the victim card and act like you're HIS problem.

A similar thing happened to me in fourth grade when I lent $5 to another kid. It sucks that you had to learn the lesson by losing... well, more than $5.

lawfor sorry about this unfortunate situation. Based on his comments
I would say he feels really ashamed and guilty of his actions but to embarrassed to admit it. At least for me this is how I usually react when I do something wrong.
Doesn't make it right but IMO sure would go a long way on his behalf if he just apologized for screwing up got your knives done and you too just parted ways. I really hope you don't have to go the legal route and he makes it right but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.
I really hope you get your knives.
Respect

This was the message I received after letting him know that things could not continue the way they were going and that I was posting what had happened.

View attachment 629940

Typical. The OP does nothing wrong, and in fact gets screwed by Dustin Turpin, owner of www.turpin-knives.com. Yet Dustin has the gaul to play the victim and send a disrespectful text. There is NO EXCUSE that Dustin could offer to excuse his behavior. I don't care if he is "down." He is doing good enough to build and sell knives to other people. He should be embarrassed that he gave his father a watch that he obtained in such an unethical manner.

I don't think I would want the other two knives (assuming he would ever get them). First, I wouldn't want a constant reminder of this whole ordeal. Second, they are not going to be his best work. Third, who knows what he would do to them. He is obviously immature enough to do something to them. It sucks when trusting people get taken advantage of. I hope it all works out for OP, but at this point I would just want $3500.

Doesn't make it right but IMO sure would go a long way on his behalf if he just apologized for screwing up got your knives done and you too just parted ways. I really hope you don't have to go the legal route and he makes it right but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.
I really hope you get your knives.
Respect

Thanks very much. Yes, I had sort of hoped, as my last ditch resort, that by publically posting what has taken place Dustin would step up and do the right thing - showing that even if this was a pretty bad situation, he would take ownership of it and make it right. To me, that would say a lot about what kind of person he is.

I still hope he will.

I am not a vindictive person and I don't want anything more than what was paid for. I just want him to honor the agreement that was reached.

This was the message I received after letting him know that things could not continue the way they were going and that I was posting what had happened.

View attachment 629940

^ Unbelievable! This guy really does have a twisted mindset!

I can just picture the calm, peaceful state of mind, Dustin Turpin will be in, if he actually ever does get around to making these last 2 knives for you. After reading the text message that he sent to you, I'm sure the F&F on these knives, would be top notch. :rolleyes:

Seriously OP: best of luck!

I like the idea that an earlier poster made: show up at blade, & just take "YOUR" two knives! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Well, since you have all correspondences saved over the last two years, him failing to meet his end of the bargain, get the police involved. His dad is in possession of stolen property and Dustin is guilty of the crime in the first place. I know you've taken the high road this whole time, but come on, at some point you have to do what is right to rectify this in your best interest. Stop looking out for him, he obviously doesn't care about you or holding up his end of the deal.

OP just a little heads up and some friendly advice. It may he worth it to go ahead and report this to some authorities. Your 2 years in and the statue of limitations varies state to state and what if anything that could be done for you during this .

May be worth contacting law enforcement or whoever in the makers state just to see where you stand. If anything you could learn more about the statue of limitations as well as just what options you have . May be worth it on your end to go ahead and get something on the record if you can . Now that things have came out in the open I seriously doubt things will get better for you . Hate to see you wait and wait even longer in good faith just for someone to run the clock out and you re screwed evenmore.

Be prepared to prove this is more than civil because cops won't touch a civil dispute . I'm not a lawyer now.

If you decide to go this route I'll delete this post and if I were you I would keep any discussion of what options you have off the forums and the Internet in general. Don't want to help someone out with a free defense because of the internet

Last edited:
............ Your 2 years in and the statue of limitations varies state to state and what if anything that could be done for you during this . ............

^^^ I found this to be the case when I had to file against someone years ago.

As far as breach of contract goes in the makers state you still have time . Not much but it's worth acting on .IF the law hasn't been updated since it was published

The hardest knife for a maker to build is one that is already paid for.

You should meet him at blade or the Gathering and pick the 2 best knives off of his table for yourself.

This. ^^^

I'd have started legal action a long ago on this timeline...

Wow, his response is amazing. He is delusional in that he thinks the OP is trying to kick him when he is down. This has to be even worse than the ADV threads. Dustin Turpin - you need to stand up like a man and finally do the right thing.
His response basically: "you got no right to expect me to honor my word, I got tired of lying to you month after month for 2 years" and finally "screw you I don't care and you can not make me be a real man".
In the mean time his pappy is walking around with a stolen rolex. Like someone else said - I would try and contact the pappy and tell him what is up with him wearing the stolen watch. If that doesn't work - I like the go to his table and grab two of the nicest knives - what's he going to do call the cops? ah, no. Otherwise he should just give you the $3500 back.

This guy takes the prize so far this year for being a complete lying tool of a knife maker who is an embarrassment to all.

Everyone who goes to Blade this year should go to his table and tell him exactly why they won't be buying one of his knives.

OP I would leave the complaints between you and the maker . Also I'm not a lawyer but checking your replevin laws as well as the laws in the makers state .

Also want to get the price of the 2 knives you have . Don't let him use the 2 knives you have are worth the cost of the watch . I hope you have reciepts of their value . I would also check some custom knife dealers and document what market value is on his knives right now . So he won't be able to say those 3 knives are worth xxxx of dollars because of xxx reason. Feel free to pm me

OP also by Arizona law you may have a theft by deception case ,depending on the dollar amount it could be a felony . Worth looking into

OP I would leave the complaints between you and the maker.

Are you kidding me? This is exactly the kind of information that this sub is made for: letting the knife community know who the scumbags are who should be avoided at all costs. It would be irresponsible of the OP not to let people know publicly!

Not what I meant . Not referring to not taking it to the forum . I was talking about the father in law. As in go after the maker he had a deal with .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back