• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he a paid maker here ? I looked but didn't find him I could be looking in the wrong place

Last edited:
Not what I meant . Not referring to not taking it to the forum . I was talking about the father in law. As in go after the maker he had a deal with .

I guess ya'll haven't figured it out yet. The watch wasn't for any "father in law". He probably sold it shortly after it was given to him. THIS douchbag was giving his father in law a $7,500 watch? You have to be kidding.

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you. But, please understand that -- at least to me -- this is more than a knife maker getting behind on orders, etc. If it were truly that, I would never have posted this story. Many of my friends are knife makers and I go out of my way to help this hobby and their profession, not to hurt it.

Here, when December 2014 rolled around and he said he was too busy to make the first promised knife but still wanted me to send the watch first, I said ok. I understand. No prob.

Here, when Jan 2015 rolled around and none of the promised knives were made, I was understanding. Dustin had some excuse at the time, too busy, etc. Fine, no prob.

When Feb rolled around, again no knives. When asked, they would be started on ASAP - that weekend. Once again, no knives. And he didn't even bother to update me.

When March rolled around, again no knives. When asked, there was a new excuse but he promised to start ASAP. Once again, no knives and no update.

When April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct.... rolled around.... you get the idea. Always one excuse after another. Too busy, too stressed out, needed to build new shop equipment, too stressed out, too busy, and so on and so on.

This went on for over a year. One excuse after another and one broken promise after another.

And you know what? Stupid me probably would have accepted all those excuses except for one fact: he was steadily making knives for many other people, delivering knives at top prices to certain dealers, making knives for shows, holding multiple IG knife actions (the last of which raised $5,500). All while telling me he couldn't make my knives for one reason or another. So I had to watch him delivering knives to others, and auctioning knives that should have gone to me and just hope that one day, all his broken promises would eventually be made up for.

That is not a knife maker getting behind in my view, it's a lack of integrity, honesty, and decency.

Having faith in your fellow man doesn't have anything to do with being stupid.

I think you're a stand up guy for not only how you conducted yourself in this thread but how you've handled this entire situation.

Don't lose faith in all of us because one guy decided to piss away an incredible gesture of good will.

I would ask him for a completion date within the next day on paper that you agree to and if he isn't willing to do this purse legal actions immediately.

Having faith in your fellow man doesn't have anything to do with being stupid.

I think you're a stand up guy for not only how you conducted yourself in this thread but how you've handled this entire situation.

Don't lose faith in all of us because one guy decided to piss away an incredible gesture of good will.

I would ask him for a completion date within the next day on paper that you agree to and if he isn't willing to do this purse legal actions immediately.

Not to say the OP is stupid, but what he did was definitely stupid.

ETA: I sent him an e-mail with a link to this thread and asked him if he was aware of it. d.turpin@turpin-knives.com

Last edited:
I wasn't there . Glad someone from the knifemakers camp can chime in on this though . Oh wait... It's best to stick to facts and not assume anything. Right now a maker screwed a customer who has what and what he did with it is small picture . OP getting his knife or cash is priority dragging someone who may or may not have anything to do with it (father in law) or jumping to conclusions on where the watch may be is getting way off subject. As well as the OP has already said he wants to leave that alone .

Last edited:
I wasn't there . Glad someone from the knifemakers camp can chime in on this though . Oh wait... It's best to stick to facts and not assume anything. Right now a maker screwed a customer who has what and what he did with it is small picture . OP getting his knife or cash is priority dragging someone who may or may not have anything to do with it (father in law) or jumping to conclusions on where the watch may be is getting way off subject. As well as the OP has already said he wants to leave that alone .

So, just to be clear. After 2 days and 125 posts you are saying that we're "just assuming" that the O.P. is telling the truth? Heck. I look forward to Mr Turpin responding. Sometime. Someday. Some month? Your move Mr Turpin.

As far as "where the watch is now". Your don't think that is relevant? I would think it would go to the subjects truthfulness?

I'm not saying get the father in law involved. I'm saying that "father in law" was never involved in the first place. If there is anyone here on this forum that has ever given his father in law a $7,500 watch, then please come forward. Cause it didn't happen. If Donald Trump is a member here then he doesn't count.

No we aren't assuming the OP is telling the truth he has evidence to back his story up .

We are all on the same team here my post came off as me being a smart ass and I apologize .

I appreciate this post. Far too often the collector stays silent for a number of ridiculous reasons. I have four makers that owe me in total far more than this. Maybe I need to reach out to you for help in pushing me to post about my situation. Sadly my situation mirrors yours and it's sad that we remain silent in the interest of keeping the moral high road ...when we are not given that same RESPECT.

Booooooooooooom

Mike, perhaps we should start a thread on the "Knife Neutral" maker? He owes a lot of people money....

If this happened to me I'd be seriously upset. But then again 7500 for me would be my knife budget for like 4 or 5 years.
I've read through this thread I think I'm starting to get it, are we saying that
Dustin Turpin of www.turpin-knives.com has stolen a watch and refuses to compensate for it with the agreed upon payment of 4 knives. Sounds like a thief and a scammer. I certainly hope he makes good on this before his reputation starts to falter. I for one will look the other way whenever I see a Turpin knife for sale.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, OP. Regardless of whether people think your sending the watch first was "stupid" or not, you don't deserve to be ripped off. Theft sucks, and that is just what this is. I hope you get some justice out of this, and Turpin knives for me are blacklisted.

Not to say the OP is stupid, but what he did was definitely stupid.

ETA: I sent him an e-mail with a link to this thread and asked him if he was aware of it. d.turpin@turpin-knives.com

Thanks for your comments. I agree, in hindsight, it was a bad decision. And I had a lot of concern when I was doing it but my desire to own some of his knives overcame my common sense. At heart, I am just an obsessed knife-nut like the rest of us. I simply thought that because he is a pretty high-profile and popular maker, he would not risk his reputation over one deal.

And, thanks for sending him an email - I notified him long before making this post that it was going to be up if he did not respond to me. I then notified him personally again after it was up. I have already posted a copy of his response that acknowledges his awareness that I have made this public.

Thanks. I truly have no reason to believe that he didn't give the watch to his father-in-law and either way, it is irrelevant to me. Once we agreed in writing, it was his watch to do with as he pleased, just as the knives would be mine to do with as I pleased.

I look forward to Mr Turpin responding. Sometime. Someday. Some month? Your move Mr Turpin.

In case it was missed, on Monday of this week, I asked Dustin for an update since he had ignored my last few messages.

There was again no response. I told him that I felt I had no choice other than to post what has happened publicly. He again failed to respond. So I put up my post telling the story. After doing so, I contacted him again to tell him the post was made.

I finally received the below exact response from him on Monday at 3:20 pm:

"Good for you way to kick a man when he's down.

I always intended to finish your knives. I just stopped responding to you cause I got f*cking tired of explaining myself and my situation.

Also I didn't want you sharing what we talk about. Since it was no one's f*cking business.

By all means post away bash my name do what the f*ck you want I don't give a sh*t. You will get your knives regardless. Have a nice day,"

I wrote back and told him that I had begged him to finish my knives and was ignored time and time again. He has not responded further since Monday.

In case it was missed, on Monday of this week, I asked Dustin for an update since he had ignored my last few messages.

There was again no response. I told him that I felt I had no choice other than to post what has happened publicly. He again failed to respond. So I put up my post telling the story. After doing so, I contacted him again to tell him the post was made.

I finally received the below exact response from him on Monday at 3:20 pm:

"Good for you way to kick a man when he's down.

I always intended to finish your knives. I just stopped responding to you cause I got f*cking tired of explaining myself and my situation.

Also I didn't want you sharing what we talk about. Since it was no one's f*cking business.

By all means post away bash my name do what the f*ck you want I don't give a sh*t. You will get your knives regardless. Have a nice day,"

I wrote back and told him that I had begged him to finish my knives and was ignored time and time again. He has not responded further since Monday.

Blade show is in June . I'm sure the maker is working on knives to take there . Hopefully this gets resolved by then but if it doesn't I know I'll at least be at blade I'll go out of my way to let people know what this maker is doing or has done .

Oh, and ......

Well, the father in law may find out regardless. This post has already moved to the second page of Google when you search "Dustin Turpin." Also, people are posting this to other forums, so that's even more exposure.

Man, this Dustin Turpin of

www.turpin-knives.com seems like a real piece of work. "I stopped responding because I got tired of explaining myself?"

Looks like Dustin Turpin is going to have A LOT of explaining to do once we get the Google hit to #1!

This thread now ranks 5th in google if the search term "Dustin Turpin" is used.

Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin

Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin

Dustin Turpin really needs to come here and say something.

Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin

Dustin Turpin Dustin Turpin Dustin Turpin

Dustin Turpin
Dustin Turpin

:)

I was hoping you'd be chiming in Mike.
I love reading all the 'never pay up front'!! The problem is guys like Dustin Turpin, THIEF, have an innate ability, you can call it radar, for spotting gentleman that would never hurt anyone in any way, Dale. It's like they can smell the people they can rob and get away with it. Seen it a million times.
Don't change Dale! Love your new avatar!!!!!
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back