Rockstead Knowledge Thread

I always said that if I got a Rockstead it'd get reground...and if it got reground I'd polish it back out...one side down:D

20201127_152638-jpg.1463250

I picked up a SHU a few weeks ago and I must say, The button lock design Rockstead uses is superior to any other button lock out there. So good this feel like a frame lock! Ergos on this SHU are amazing too, the finger choil is a real one, so plenty of room for your index finger. Really enjoying this one due to blade size and weight too. If you click or double click on the pic, it will open a higher resolution option for more detail.

How do you repair scuffs and minor scratches On the zdp mirror finish? I would like to get my Shin back to perfect.

I emailed Rockstead and they said they will fully restore the polish, I replied with a request for estimate.

Last edited:
My god, this thread is stuffed full of complete and utter losers. I get it, you don't like Rockstead. So stay the F*ck out of the thread and let OWNERS discuss the value, function, and maintenance of the knives. This is like going onto the Fox News website and seeing a bunch of liberal losers hang around to bash Republicans. Get a f*cking life.

My god, this thread is stuffed full of complete and utter losers. I get it, you don't like Rockstead. So stay the F*ck out of the thread and let OWNERS discuss the value, function, and maintenance of the knives.
:rolleyes:...that's funny, I thought that's what us Rockstead owners had been doing.

20210131_050114~2.jpg

My god, this thread is stuffed full of complete and utter losers. I get it, you don't like Rockstead. So stay the F*ck out of the thread and let OWNERS discuss the value, function, and maintenance of the knives. This is like going onto the Fox News website and seeing a bunch of liberal losers hang around to bash Republicans. Get a f*cking life.

Angry much after the election? :mad::mad::rolleyes:

Hey guys,
Rockstead noob here.

I've just recently acquired a cord-wrapped Chou that I love but would like to buy scales for.

My inquiry with Rockstead was met with the following message:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

I can sell Ironwood handle parts for CHOU.

It cost is €100 [around 115$] that include the shipping fee. (EMS)
And, you can pay it by Paypal.
My Paypal address is [...].

If you are OK, please let me know.

Sincerely yours"​

My question here: Isn't that a little steep for a pair of scales?
And: Do you know any other source where I can get those?

Thanks, guys!

Hey guys,
Rockstead noob here.

I've just recently acquired a cord-wrapped Chou that I love but would like to buy scales for.

My inquiry with Rockstead was met with the following message:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

I can sell Ironwood handle parts for CHOU.

It cost is €100 [around 115$] that include the shipping fee. (EMS)
And, you can pay it by Paypal.
My Paypal address is [...].

If you are OK, please let me know.

Sincerely yours"​

My question here: Isn't that a little steep for a pair of scales?
And: Do you know any other source where I can get those?

Thanks, guys!

No, that's about right for a set of handmade wood scales. Lots of scale makers charge that much for micarta. Hinderer charges $100 for one micarta scale for the XM18.

Quick question:
This is the third Rockstead I bought new, and the second one in DLC.
The edge shows some chipping (?) off the DLC.
150726715_440309337404187_240285574858387380_n.jpg
Is this normal for a completely new Rockstead?
It's not as sharp as the Higo (ZDP) and Chi (DLC YXR7) I had.

I can't inspect the Chi's DLC edge, as I sold that knife.

The seller is a shop, and claims that the knife is brand new.
I got quite a good deal on it (1.2 instead of 1.7-1.8), but unsure if I should keep it or not.

European law lets me return the knife within two weeks of purchase, so no problems in sending it back.

Reading through the last number of pages is sobering. Rockstead seems either clueless or simply doesn't care. They'd rather stalk online forums looking for secondary sales than engaging the community and evolving as a brand.

As an aside, I've read repeatedly how Rockstead wouldn't care about losing out on potential buyers as their market is for people that wouldn't bat an eye at throwing $3k on a knife. They've done a good job of showing it. I'm a part of many enthusiasts that have no qualms spending in the $700-1400 range and care what we get in return for our hard earned money. Rockstead is among the brands I will not be purchasing due to the lack of quality control and poor warranty.

Your comments in this thread come off as adorably naive.

Rockstead isn't preventing people from selling their knives on the secondary market. What they're doing is telling people who BUY on the secondary market that they aren't going to get warranty service. And they didn't refuse to fix it, they'll be happy to charge for out-of-warranty work.

The primary goal of a business is to make enough money to stay in business. Rockstead doesn't make money on secondary sales, so supporting secondary sales has little, if any, benefit to them. They've got 8 guys working there, so they don't want to eat the cost of dealing with bogus warranty claims from someone who's not entitled to the warranty. All of their knives have individual serial numbers, so they likely know which retailer received every knife they ship.

Rockstead's target market (i.e. people who don't blink at spending $3000 on a knife) isn't going to abandon them because of warranty issues, because they aren't buying second-hand. People buying knives that start around $1000 and go way up from there are sophisticated enough to know the risk they run if they buy anywhere than from an authorized dealer. Go look at ads on a watch trading site, and the vast majority of sales are from authorized dealers so buyers have confidence that they're getting what was reflected in the ad and is covered by the manufacturer. Rockstead sells to the same guys who buy Rolex and Panerai.
This is the bottom line. If you purchase on the secondary market, and wish to have the blade re-ground, you ill be charged a fee. This knife can stay very sharp for years if stropped after hard use. There are even directions how to make a great stop using jeans cloth, thumbtacks, and a piece of wood with diamond polish.
I have three Rockstead's and use them regularly, but haven't had to send it to Japan yet. It's a phenomenal knife in all aspects. The Kei fixed blade rides nice on the belt, the Shu has a pocket clip but I had a belt sheath custom made for it, and the Hizen is the daily carry in the office and discrete pocket carry.

Back