1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rodent 3 for EDC?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by FettWillKill, Dec 12, 2013.

1. FettWillKill

FettWillKill Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm looking for a fixed blade EDC and I've gotten my choices narrowed down to a DPX Hest, an ESEE 3 and, as the title suggests, a Rodent 3. They all seem to be great as far as an EDC blade goes, but unlike the Hest and the ESEE, I've been unable to find any reviews of the Rodent 3. Out of all three brands, I only own a Swamp Rat (RMD:thumbup:) so I have no doubts as to the quality and build of their blades, I'm just curious as to people's opinions of and experiences with the Rodent 3 and if anyone can give me a comparison between the Rodent 3 and either the Hest, the ESEE 3, or both. Thanks for any and all feedback, I hope everyone is having a good winter!

2. TheSnakeman

TheSnakeman

Dec 27, 2012
    I really liked the r3 for edc.
    It was just big enough to do the tasks I wanted and just small enough to be edc able
    That being said the esee 3 is a great blade as well and is quite a bit cheaper. You really can't go wrong with esee or swamp rat

3. high desert

high desert

May 20, 2009
    I sold my rodent 3 because I don't like a 3 finger hold. I like the scrapyards 311 a lot. The 311 might be my favorite Busse or kin just out pacing my B10 LE.

4. rororo64

rororo64

Sep 5, 2010
    The Rodent Solution is worth a look at as well. The SYKCO 311 is next on my list and I hope I get one from the Ganzaaa.

5. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I have a 311, and for me, it's too big (long) and bulky (handle) for EDC. I tried for one of the custom shop Rodent 3's in the Ganzaaa last night for this reason. It's basically the same size as a Busse Game Warden, for which there are plenty of glowing EDC reviews.

ETA: The Rodent 3 is almost exactly the same size as the Swamp Warden with B. Piatt's handle scales, so it should be perfect for me. Somewhere I saw someone had posted a picture of that exact comparison awhile back, for which I am about to go searching for.

Here's a couple pics of the Warden with scales, next to a Rodent Solution:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. doke00

doke00

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't have a Rodent 3 but I do have an Esee 3 and a Hest, and I like the Esee a lot better. I don't like the mini pry bar on the Hest. Otherwise both are nice. I wear large size gloves and the pry bar gets in the way of my pinky. My personal EDC is and Esee Izula with handles from Knife Connection. It is almost as long a blade as the Esee 3 but the rest is more pocket sized.

7. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Well that didn't take me too long. Here is one of the pictures I was thinking of, courtesy of worldwood:

Left top to bottom-
    rodent 3
    swamp warden with optional scales
    custom shop rodent 3
    rodent solution

[​IMG]

Will post any other good ones I find as well.

ETA: Boom, another one, with the 311 as well!!! Courtesy of elof_alv.

Bottom 3 knives, top to bottom-
    rodent solution
    SYKCO 311
    rodent 3

[​IMG]

8. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Another pic from elof_alv. Swamp Wardens and Rodent 3's.

[​IMG]

ETA: More from Rat Chat. These thanks to Invinoveritas1911. Excellent in-hand shot, and includes Busse Game Warden too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like we have (top to bottom) Rodent Solution, SYKCO 311, Rodent 3, and Busse Game Warden spine shot:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  9. high desert

high desert

May 20, 2009
    Great pics Phreak.

10. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks, but none are mine (all are credited), save the two in my first post. I had planned a search just like this, so this thread was perfect timing.

11. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    With EDC in mind I decided to strip, slightly thin out the blade and then stonewash one of my R3 (probably will even give it a ferric chloride bath too).
    Aside from the rather uneven jimping on the spine (I swear I cold have done it faster and better with files than the crappy little 'power' tool) all the work has been done without powered tools and I'm rather happy with the outcome.
    Just need to get the FeCl and bolts to put the handles back on to finish the project.
    I was actually surprised to find out that Swamp Warden and R3 have longer cutting edge than Game Warden. For city EDC you might be a bit better off with SW with handles as it is noticeably lighter than R3.
    Here is the pic of my project R3 after the stone washing
    [​IMG]

12. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    That is excellent Cesar! Turned out real nice! :cool: Good point about the weight difference between the scaled Swamp Warden versus the Rodent 3.

I actually noticed that the Swamp Warden had a longer cutting edge than the Busse Game Warden way back when the Swamp Wardens were originally released. That's why I bought so many! ;) (I have 7, 4 from the original release)

13. FettWillKill

Oct 3, 2012
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone! Spyder Phreak, thanks for the veritable mountain of pictures, they are a huge help. It's lookin like the Hest is out of the running, so it's down to the ESEE 3 and the Rodent 3 (and let's be honest, that means it's gonna wind out as both :p).

Elof_Alv, that stonewashed R3 looks incredible! I'm pretty unfamiliar with the process used for stonewashing, how did you go about it?

14. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    FWK, it's really easy to do!
    One thing you need to do first though is sand down the blade to smooth. I've done some folder blades in the past and was quite unhappy with those that had 'satin' finish, the grooves from the grinder are brought up by stone washing.

After sanding the knife, quite a lot actually, it had some grooves from the CNC machines on the main bevel, I got to ~400 grit, and just a bit of 1200 to get the biggest scratches off, I just chucked it in a plastic container with the three abrasives in the pic, coarse and fine ceramic and some pebbles I picked up on a beach, generous quantity of WD40 and then just sat watching a movie and shaking the box in all directions for about half an hour.
    I have mixed the abrasives because I wanted to have a varied finish rather than uniform pattern. I'd recommend using the ceramic ones, got them from jewellers' supply website, and mixing them up, they are working a lot faster than the pebbles on their own.

15. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    No sweat! Like I mentioned, I was going to do this myself anyway, so you saved me the trouble of starting a thread. :)

16. Invinoveritas1911

Invinoveritas1911

May 14, 2012
    This is my bone handled Custom Shop R3. It's slimmer than the combat grade. The knife carries really well in a front cross draw, and disappears in a pocket sheath. Nothing against the other brands, but I suggest finding something from Scrap Yard, Swamp Rat, or Busse that works for you. You will not be disappointed!
    [​IMG]

17. FettWillKill

Oct 3, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for the pointers, elof! Looks like Ive got a new project in the works :p

Right on, I aims to please!

She's a beauty, I love seeing custom jobs. I have a few hogs, one dog and a rat, and you are absolutely right, there has never been anything close to disappointment. This is really just another one of my ill fated attempts to branch out my collection a little bit. Funny how once you cut something with INFI or SR-101, everything else seems kinda pointless :D:thumbup:

18. rororo64

rororo64

Sep 5, 2010
    Now I think I want one...

19. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    You KNOW you want one! You're just trying to rationalize!

20. rororo64

rororo64

Sep 5, 2010
    Yup, that is definitely it! Just have to wait for after the holidays... Sometimes I think I go to work just to fuel my knife addiction :)