1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rodent 3 for EDC?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by FettWillKill, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Noxious Fumes

Noxious Fumes

Sep 7, 2011
    Agreed.... Pocket size knives are great for everyday "usability", and fine cutting/carving tasks. Some of the blades may be a bit on the wide (thick) side, but this is just a matter of getting used to the blade. I can appreciate the thick Bussekins for the reliability factor.... Plus, they are easy to carry (check local laws). I've got a couple.... Will get MORE!!! Love 'em!!!!

...remember.... The best knife that you've got, is the one you're carrying.....

2. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    Say Heah Guys, Yeah, for a while I was using my Rodent Solution and held off getting the Rodent 3 because of the size simolarity. But once I decided to complete my Swamp Rat Rodent series, I got the Rodent 5 and the Rodent 3. Both knives caught me by surprise, First the Handles on both knives individualized both knives and even though their similar to other knives in the Swamp Rat series, like my RatManDu and the Rodent Solution, Infact even though my RatManDu was one of my Fav's, I used the Rodent 5 alot last summer, I got a Leather Dangler Sheath for it with a Firesteel Loop that match them both like soup and sandwich or peanut butter and jelly, Yeah, a lovely combo. But that Rodent 3 really surprised me, I have a wide hand, and to my surprise even with the bump on the handle, it fit my hand like a glove, it was as comfortable like a handshake. But because it's a Saber Grind, the edge is thinner than my LIL Tank my Rodent Solution, don't get me wrong, when there's alot of firewood to be processed, I defenetly will use it, I won't hesitate using the Solution since it's built like a tank, I love it, But the Rodent 3 is just a wee'bit smaller and I can get the edge real sharp, The Convex on my Solution compliments the tough knife it is and I love it, But because my Rodent 3 is smaller, and it's lighter too, so neck carry is alot better for me, and that's the way I plan to wear it. Although a pocket carry is also a great way to carry it, In my IMO I think that knife was designed for that, Today there is no regrets I got both of them, my Rodent Solution and my Rodent 3, , , ,

3. Allex K

Allex K

Aug 14, 2016
    I can also confirm Rodent 3 does a good job

4. LukeTheSpook

LukeTheSpook

Jan 2, 2015
    As an alternative, the trail scalpel of O2W should be shipping very soon.

5. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    That'll depend on how much scalping you need to do on everyday basis! ;) :p

6. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Elof did you ever finish your Rodent 3 project? I would love to see what you were gonna do to it...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  7. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Deleted

8. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Not yet...But recently I've done a little work on it...

9. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Here's mine. I like it quite a bit! I'm rotating this with my AMS.

[​IMG]

10. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Keep it going!

11. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Nice 3 AntDog!

12. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Thanks! I like it a lot. It's the second one I've had. I had to sell my last one to pay for something that came up. Not letting this one go anytime soon.