1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rodent 3 for EDC?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by FettWillKill, Dec 12, 2013.

1. FettWillKill

FettWillKill

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm definitely in the same boat. Every time I get a paycheck all I see is a blade...or a sheath...or a sharpener:D

2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I hope to have mine by Christmas!!! :fingers crossed:

3. FettWillKill

FettWillKill

Oct 3, 2012
    Standard fit and finish or did you go custom?

4. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Nope, the c/s satin finish with blue/black g10 from the Ganzaaa. :D

[​IMG]

:cool:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  5. FettWillKill

FettWillKill

Oct 3, 2012
    Double tap

6. FettWillKill

FettWillKill

Oct 3, 2012
    DROOOOOOOOL

Nice snag, Phreak :p:thumbup:

7. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah, that one caught my eye immediately! It looks a LOT like the Busse SAR 3, but at almost half the price. Still kicking myself for not buying one of the stag-handled SAR 3's from a Ganzaaa awhile back for ~$280 though.

Unfortunately, looks like the cs R3 won't get here till after Christmas since I still haven't gotten a ship notice. :( Oh well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. FettWillKill

FettWillKill

Oct 3, 2012
    Bummer, dude. At least you'll have something extra to look forward to after Christmas!

9. Riverwarrior

Riverwarrior

Sep 17, 2010
    Dang, this thread has me wanting an R3 very badly!!

10. Riverwarrior

Riverwarrior

Sep 17, 2010
    I couldn't stand it................just ordered the R3 from the Swamp shop! :thumbup: Now the waiting begins.

11. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Late update. Sorry. I got my Rodent 3 a few days after Christmas. Almost right out of the box, I thinned the edge just a bit, and put a nice, shiny convex edge on her. :D Here are some glamour shots! :cool:

[​IMG]

Pics with a couple similar sized Bussekin (SYKCO 311 and SR Warden):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really digging this knife! It's been getting tons of use, and is showing some patina now (from cutting raw meat), but I'm sending it off to Al Welke on Monday for a blue sheath (then to Dwayne for a pocket pouch). I'm gonna miss her while she is out. Perfect sized EDC in my opinion! :thumbup:

12. OilMan

OilMan Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    Picked up a R3 while looking for a EDC fixed too but found it too small and went back to my Busse AD and AMS. I've got 2 ESEE 3's though that I would pick before the R3. Really Really like my Rodent 4 though..

13. Noxious Fumes

Noxious Fumes

Sep 7, 2011
    Late for the party...... Picked up an R3 ( satin, blue g10) at the Xmas ganzaaa. Got a black sheath from David Brown..... Beautiful combo. The knife fits my medium size hands perfectly. You can bring your thumb along the spine for finer work. I love the belly on the blade..... Knife is great in the kitchen as well. Very comfy to carry ..... The "short" handle helps in the comfort department, it won't rub up or jab your side.

Sorry for poor pic quality

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    Rodent 3 is an amazing little EDC blade. Congrats to everyone that has one.

15. shrapnelwound

shrapnelwound

Sep 26, 2011
    Here is a short video I made of my Rodent 3 and 311. R3 + Paw Paw kydex = great for EDC.

[video=youtube;rcvtB4sYI78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvtB4sYI78[/video]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  16. godsmyjudge

godsmyjudge Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I love mine... use it for everything. Grey/black g-10 and satin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  17. joeymoey

joeymoey

Apr 20, 2013
    Nice Knives you guys :thumbup: I definitely need one of these. Tan/black or green/black G10 and a satin blade sounds pretty nice right about now ~

18. shrapnelwound

shrapnelwound

Sep 26, 2011

The satin ones posted here have a slightly thinner FFG grind as well.

19. trial153

trial153

Mar 9, 2011
    I think my Rodent 3 is just a little to big for an EDC

20. ragnerok

ragnerok

Oct 25, 2008
    All this talk about the Rodent 3 and all those nice pics from everyone, really makes wanting one of those small guys :thumbup:- Love pocket size fixed blades.