1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rodent 7

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by MacLaren1, Oct 24, 2014.

1. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    Hi fellas/gals, I just ordered my first Swamp Rat, the Rodent 7. Placed my order yesterday and, have been very pleased so far. Great communication from Swamp Rat. I can check the status of my build and have been provided a contact number as well. This will be my first Busse group purchase as well. I'd love to hear from current or past Rodent 7 owners, as well as Scrap Yard SYKCO owners. I'm also curious about the SR101 steel. I realize it's basically 52100 with added kryptonite :)
    But, would like to learn a little more if I could. I would also like to give thanx in advance for any and all 411yall can provide.

2. kenash

kenash

May 23, 2010
    You ain't too far from me! Yep, SR101 is 52100 with the Busse heat treat. Great stuff! It'll rust if you want it to. If you use it, it'll kick more tail than you realize. I whacked one of my RMD's through a seasoned oak knot about 3-4 times, and then shaved the paper deal. It's neat to see it on a video, but really cool to do it yourself. I can't really comment on the big Rodents, but I would not let my R3 go. If I had to go down with little or nothing, RMD in one hand and R3 in the other. Dude, you've got to get Ratmandu.

3. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    In August I purchased my first Bussekin, a Rodent Solution.
    As you stayed communication back and forth is simple and easy.
    The wait to for a knife that size should be at least eight weeks (or at least that's their quote) mine only took five.
    I'm also currently waiting on an RMD to be finished and shipped too me, once you have that 7 I bet you'll want a few more.
    Overall the purchase experience was awesome. While I have no experience with any 52100 other than what Swamp Rat uses. I've found this steel to be one Of my personal top 3s.
    The edge retention is superior to almost every knife I own, s30v BM 940, AEB-L custom blade @ 59-61 hrc, the only steel I think may be superior in just cutting performance it'd be the s90v 940-1. However the toughness, keenness of edge, and overall durability is bar none better with the 52100. This is all my personal option gleaned from my experiences.
    Hope this helps and good luck with the Busse-Fever.

4. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    Dang double tap.

5. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Kenash,Lance- thank you :)
    I wander what differentiates the Rodent from the Ratmandu? Btw, awesome name Ratmandu!
    Also, can these knives be custom made?
    Say, if I wanted the blade of the Rodent 7 serrated on the top to saw with, could that be ordered as such?

6. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    Yes the Swamp can do that for you. Just send Trissy an e-mail and let her know what you are looking for. She can let you know from there what the price and lead times will be. Congrats on the order.

7. kenash

kenash

May 23, 2010
    Rodent. Good Swamp series. RMD is an institution of the Swamp and Busse on its own.

8. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Run while you still can!
    One Rat is never enough! You will want more and more... that's a promise.
    I don't have R7, personally I find the handle not compatible wit my hands, and besides I have Chopweiler and Ratweiler ( and Taz and Mini Mojo) in that size ;)

9. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    My pleasure Mac! Enjoy that custom r7 if you get it.
    I'm looking into having a poon tipped Rodent nine in Tanker gray and Tan micarta made custom for me...just waiting on RMD to get here first, must pace myself......

10. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    *My mistake*

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  11. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Thank you so much. I sent Trissy an email. Can't believe I am just now finding these out (Swamp Rat, Scrap Yard)

12. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Lol, I truly believe you :)

13. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Awesome. Keep me posted! I'd love to see some pics. I'll do a thread when I get my 7.
    This may be a dumb question but, is there much difference between Swamp Rat knives and Scrap Yard ?
    Blade thickness, steel etc.....
    Again, thanx so much to all for answering my questions

14. kenash

kenash

May 23, 2010
    Same flamn damly of knives. Great stuff.

15. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The biggest difference between Swamp and Yard knives is the handle. Swamp has not made any Res-C handled knives, aside from Taliwhacker, in the last few years and that is what all Yard knives have (ok, Scrapizashi had a wrapped handle, HDDD and Scrapivore are skeletonized).
    The second difference is the square choil on the Yard knives, third is the full tang on Rats and 'rat tail' tangs on Dogs.
    Other than that the designs are, mostly, quite similar 9-11 and Rodent 9 have basically the same blade profile (and so do 7,5,4 & 3). Steel is the same, HT is the same. Dogs do tend to be lighter than corresponding Rats, and Res-C is great at reducing the shock of chopping and batonning.
    Yard used to use other steels a bit more often than Swamp , most recently it was Elmax and Sandvik 12c27, before that 154cm and INFI.
    Swamp has had one model in 154, Hairy Cary; aside from the recent INFIdu one other model in INFI (apparently by someone's mistake) Inficoot; and there was a folder in S30V, Rat Trap.

16. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Very cool elof_alv, thank you.

17. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    Elof is basically a encyclopedia of Rat knowledge. Myself I just beat the hell out of them.

18. boring

boring Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2005
    i love the rodent series. I have the 9, 6 and 4. i was going to get the 7 and a ruck, but then the price increase came and that put me off.

19. kenash

kenash

May 23, 2010
    Yep. put me off too. Hamburger, chicken wings, gas. That price increase stinks. So, I bought another knife. They keep longer.

20. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    The Rodent 7 is fairly new? I can't find one video for it.
    Would love to see some member pics and vids :)
    *Edit, sorry guys, I found my way to the SR forum :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014