Rough Rider junk

I’ve got a lot of nice RR knives, slip joints as well at lockbacks. If you message me your fathers address as well his preferences for pattern and size, I will send him a good one.
Thanks a lot, but he was just curious and he has the means to buy more if he wants them. The purchase was just sorta spur of the moment anyway. Your offer is very generous though!

Thanks a lot, but he was just curious and he has the means to buy more if he wants them. The purchase was just sorta spur of the moment anyway. Your offer is very generous though!

I understand his curiosity, that is why I bought my first RR myself.

If I had received an example like the one he got, I never would have bought another.

I would like for him examine an example that is representative of the brand.

I wasn’t trying to imply that he couldn’t afford to buy another one, hope it didn’t come off that way.

I would be honored to send a knife, the offer was extended in the spirit that makes BF great.

I understand his curiosity, that is why I bought my first RR myself.

If I had received an example like the one he got, I never would have bought another.

I would like for him examine an example that is representative of the brand.

I wasn’t trying to imply that he couldn’t afford to buy another one, hope it didn’t come off that way.

I would be honored to send a knife, the offer was extended in the spirit that makes BF great.

Thanks , I sent you his information!

You may want to check out the new Kershaw Fraxion for your dad. Single blade, ball bearing flipper that opens like an assisted opener, 2.75 inch blade, linerlock. Very light, good mild use EDC.
I saw that and liking it Rich. Thanks.

My apologies for bringing the thread back to life, but i was wondering if, in the last two and half years since this thread started, Rough Rider slipjoints have got better, stayed the same, got worse....are worth the money etc. Here in the UK you can get four RR's for the price of one Case.....and ive seen a couple i like the look of. I Know Case are loved a lot in the USA, but i admit the ones i have owned have either been very good or downright terrible in regards to fit and finish.
I need educating by someone who knows more than me about these things.

Thanks

I started using Rough Riders around a year ago. It depends what series, but their quality is mostly good, especially for the price. I think it is between stays the same and got better in a way they don't really improve old series, but newer ones are often better and fancier. And their blades are definitely better than Case. Both my Case came with a bad burr, dull edges and rounded tips while RRs were always pointy with useable to very good sharpness.

There are some bad models. This mentioned earlier large folding hunter truly was low quality also for me and doctor's knife had almost no spring tension and off center that it was shaving a liner when closing. But these are my only really bad examples and I bought many in the last year. Most common issue is blade centering. Not centered like modern folders, but almost never so bad it touches liners. And some, especially single bladed are quite centered.

I think you can safely get barlows, copperheads and trappers with swedges on blades. I had good luck and least issues with them. My friend have a few canoes and they were also good. At least full slipjoints, the one with one slipjoint and one lockback had spine gaps.

Out of all I have I can especially recommend small and medium single blade lockbacks, copper teardrop jack, bushcraft barlow, trappers from buckshot, black cherry and tortuga series. I'm not sure about UK laws, but if you can, get jigged bone work knife. It is a slipjoint but with unnecessary linerlock as a secondary safety. Very nice sodbuster like medium to larger knife. And the absolute best quality that I have is stag bone copperhead. Almost feels like it was from a different factory compared to others.

I only have one and two bladed RRs. If you are interested in multi blades patterns like congress, I have no idea about their quality.

I started using Rough Riders around a year ago. It depends what series, but their quality is mostly good, especially for the price. I think it is between stays the same and got better in a way they don't really improve old series, but newer ones are often better and fancier. And their blades are definitely better than Case. Both my Case came with a bad burr, dull edges and rounded tips while RRs were always pointy with useable to very good sharpness.

There are some bad models. This mentioned earlier large folding hunter truly was low quality also for me and doctor's knife had almost no spring tension and off center that it was shaving a liner when closing. But these are my only really bad examples and I bought many in the last year. Most common issue is blade centering. Not centered like modern folders, but almost never so bad it touches liners. And some, especially single bladed are quite centered.

I think you can safely get barlows, copperheads and trappers with swedges on blades. I had good luck and least issues with them. My friend have a few canoes and they were also good. At least full slipjoints, the one with one slipjoint and one lockback had spine gaps.

Out of all I have I can especially recommend small and medium single blade lockbacks, copper teardrop jack, bushcraft barlow, trappers from buckshot, black cherry and tortuga series. I'm not sure about UK laws, but if you can, get jigged bone work knife. It is a slipjoint but with unnecessary linerlock as a secondary safety. Very nice sodbuster like medium to larger knife. And the absolute best quality that I have is stag bone copperhead. Almost feels like it was from a different factory compared to others.

I only have one and two bladed RRs. If you are interested in multi blades patterns like congress, I have no idea about their quality.
That is really helpful. Thank you its appreciated.

Since my last post in this thread a couple of years ago i now have 11 RR knives .
4 trappers all good fit and finish with no noticeable gaps , all came sharp. One of them in particular, the Civil war trapper is superb at the price.
2 barlows , both nice fit and finish also both came sharp.
2 coal miner one of them very nice , the other with a slight gap between spring and liner although you have to hold it to light to see the gap , again both came sharp.
A canoe, good fit up but a tiny crack at one pin in the bone scale. Came sharp.
The large old yellow stockman is probably my favourite , great fit and finish and came very sharp . Actually a pretty big sturdy knife in hand for a traditional.
Also got a small brass cowboy folder which is a good little knife .
I think it depends on the pattern you chose and i think i've maybe had a bit of luck too ,all purchased online with no poor examples.
I've not used all of them but the trappers, barlow and stockman i have carried and used have been nicely sharp and have held an edge well enough doing the usual easy day to day cutting .
I still think RR are worth the money easily which is not much, including my couple with the gap and crack .
Apologies , that was a bit of a yarn....

I've ordered a Barlow today which looks nice. Want it for very light use. Company i mainly buy from over here are extremely good at no quibble returns so i have no worries there.

Thanks for info guys...appreciated.

I haven't had any serious issues with any of the Rough Rider/Ryder slip joints I own. Can't really speak for their other kinds of knives. But the slip joints (regular type) are a bargain and well made overall (especially for the price). I will be honest with you.... I don't use them much but have inspected all of them carefully. I mostly use other knives and Rough Ryders are generally impulse buys when I visit the knife store in Sevierville TN.

I would certainly be interested in your impressions R Ruukuu

I haven't had any serious issues with any of the Rough Rider/Ryder slip joints I own. Can't really speak for their other kinds of knives. But the slip joints (regular type) are a bargain and well made overall (especially for the price). I will be honest with you.... I don't use them much but have inspected all of them carefully. I mostly use other knives and Rough Ryders are generally impulse buys when I visit the knife store in Sevierville TN.

I would certainly be interested in your impressions R Ruukuu
i will let you know. I should get it in post tomorrow.

Since I started buying RRs about five years ago, the quality has varied from “good value for the money” to “as good as any Case I have seen”, with overall quality generall improving over time. One are where they have definitely raised their game is the tastefulness of finish and ornamentation.

Their sawcut bone, which I quite like, BTW, is on the gaudy end of the scale, with a riot of design features like matchstrike nail nicks, fluted bolsters and the elaborate figuring of the scales themselves. Another is the Classic Carbon series in yellow delrin, which is nicely detailed with pinched bolsters and and matchstrike nicks. The effect is taken over the top by the large embossed “R” on the bolsters, which make the whole thing look busy and overdone.

The 2038 work knife is much more tasteful, with a nice swedge on the wharncliffe blade and three lines on the bolsters, and just this once, no matchstrike on the nail nick. The micarta sowbellies, including the Marbles D2, are also very nicely done. The price is creeping up there, but these are still extremely nice knives for under twenty bucks.

If Rough Rider slippys can reach the quality of Case knives at times. How come Case cost so much more and have such a loyal following?
Is it because they are still made in the USA, (and the expense that incurs) and not China. Is it a deeply ingrained loyalty to an established American company? or am i missing something.
I mean no disrespect at all...... I just wish to learn.
I have had quite a few Case knives in my time, I have a good half dozen at the moment including a lovely raindrop Damascus congress, but i admit sometimes i have been a little disappointed in the fit and finish for what i had to pay.

If Rough Rider slippys can reach the quality of Case knives at times. How come Case cost so much more and have such a loyal following?
Is it because they are still made in the USA, (and the expense that incurs) and not China. Is it a deeply ingrained loyalty to an established American company? or am i missing something.
I mean no disrespect at all...... I just wish to learn.
I have had quite a few Case knives in my time, I have a good half dozen at the moment including a lovely raindrop Damascus congress, but i admit sometimes i have been a little disappointed in the fit and finish for what i had to pay.

Do you mean why do Case knives have a loyal following outside the USA?

How come Case cost so much more and have such a loyal following?
Probably a little bit of both. I know guys who like to carry what their father and/or grandfather carried. Seems to be a combination of loyalty, fond memories, and tradition.

Back