Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

hornetguy hornetguy & @garryt
I'll not go into the politics, but I do buy American knives,in fact I have more of them. But I'm certainly not adverse to buying Rough Ryder either.

Yes... I didn't intend to turn this into a political thing, I simply wanted to tell "where I was coming from" in this evaluation of the RR knives, and why it's taken me so long to give them a try.

As a matter of fact, I'm looking at purchasing one right now, for a recover experiment... :cool:

hornetguy hornetguy
Oops I didn't mean to imply you specifically about the politics of it all. I was trying to imply that for myself, I try to keep an open mind and didn't want to say any one opinion was right or wrong. Maybe with our current growth in jobs and businesses another company like GEC will start up and have a chance at success. Personally I'd like to see Bear&Sons do better with their QC issues. I want to support them as an American company, but wont buy anything from them unless I can handle it first. Their QC is just to spotty

No worries, I didn't take it that way at all... you simply articulated what I was trying to say in my original posting much more clearly, and I was sort of saying "me too! what HE said"... :D

I agree on the Bear and Sons quality thing. I've got one that I took a chance on, and it turned out semi-ok... but I had seen some, years ago that kinda soured me on trying them again. Hopefully they are improving.

Taylor Schrade 108OT
qtwcje9.jpg

Given to me by my daughter several years ago to replace a worn-out USA 108OT. After I rounded the sharp edges on the handles, filed down the oversized spring pin heads, and lowered the sheepfoot, it's a nice little knife.

So...hello all. This is my first time posting in this thread.

I recently received a slipjoint swayback from another member here. I had never felt a swayback design before, and I must tell you, I’ve fallen in like!! If any of you here know me from other threads, then you know I like to modify and/or embellish. This one was crying out for some filework!

Now it is never leaving my pocket! Thank you.

So upon the advice of said generous friend, I am posting pictures here. Hope that is alright. Looking forward to starting to read this thread from the beginning...all 244 pages.

Enjoy!

Filework, media blast the grooves, polish and crown the spine.
66C1B560-9ECA-412E-8DDA-2DABA864304C.jpeg 9BC360EA-B2F8-473D-A8C5-7DD38A3ECD9E.jpeg E6127E35-745D-4077-9D73-76059017CCB1.jpeg

hornetguy hornetguy
Oops I didn't mean to imply you specifically about the politics of it all. I was trying to imply that for myself, I try to keep an open mind and didn't want to say any one opinion was right or wrong. Maybe with our current growth in jobs and businesses another company like GEC will start up and have a chance at success. Personally I'd like to see Bear&Sons do better with their QC issues. I want to support them as an American company, but wont buy anything from them unless I can handle it first. Their QC is just to spotty
I also like to support American knife manufacturers when possible, but as to your observation, i have purchased 3 Bear&Son knives, the first 2 i returned at my expense, and not cheap from over here. The next one i kept, was not going to waste any more money, as a junk knife in my toolbox. Never again, their QC is non existent in my opinion. Just my experience and thoughts. You have a good week my friend.:)

cudgee cudgee
So far I've only actually bought one Bear&Sons,a lockback sodbuster. Had to look at several before settled on one that was pretty decent. Even then it was a beast to unlock, but I kept working it until I could unlock it without it hurting my thumb. Had a little up and down play when locked, but no side play. That is until I let my bosses husband borrow it,I thought he was going to cut something but he instead used a 2 pound hammer to drive it through some thick plastic under seat bins on his pontoon boat to drain water. :mad: To be fair it didn't unlock, no real damage to the g10 handles (its linerless) just some noticeable side to side play that I cant get out no matter how hard I squeeze the pivot. It actually is a tough knife,to bad you gotta go through 10 of them to find one thats decent enough to drop in your pocket o_O:thumbsdown:
Thanks for the input, I definitely wouldn't buy one I couldn't handle first,and thats a shame. Hope your week is a good one as well:cool::thumbsup:

He used a hammer on a borrowed knife? He qualifies as the second definition of the word "tool"....

The Bear knives are priced about like the Case knives are...and the quality is nowhere near the same. Based on my three RR knives, I'd buy Chinese before the Bears. Hopefully they will get their act together.

He used a hammer on a borrowed knife? He qualifies as the second definition of the word "tool"....

The Bear knives are priced about like the Case knives are...and the quality is nowhere near the same. Based on my three RR knives, I'd buy Chinese before the Bears. Hopefully they will get their act together.
Yep a hammer,I was not pleased to say the least. However I bit my tongue because I have a good working relationship with his wife,my boss. Then this past Christmas I gifted him a Rough Rider Masonic toothpick. Partly just so if he ever asked to borrow mine again I will ask "Wheres the knife I GAVE you?" Which honestly is a good aspect of RR, the value alows the gifting of a nice knife. I do have a habit of giving a knife to someone who asks to borrow mine.

Excellent file work!

So...hello all. This is my first time posting in this thread.

I recently received a slipjoint swayback from another member here. I had never felt a swayback design before, and I must tell you, I’ve fallen in like!! If any of you here know me from other threads, then you know I like to modify and/or embellish. This one was crying out for some filework!

Now it is never leaving my pocket! Thank you.

So upon the advice of said generous friend, I am posting pictures here. Hope that is alright. Looking forward to starting to read this thread from the beginning...all 244 pages.

Enjoy!

Filework, media blast the grooves, polish and crown the spine.
View attachment 1234814 View attachment 1234815 View attachment 1234816

cudgee cudgee
So far I've only actually bought one Bear&Sons,a lockback sodbuster. Had to look at several before settled on one that was pretty decent. Even then it was a beast to unlock, but I kept working it until I could unlock it without it hurting my thumb. Had a little up and down play when locked, but no side play. That is until I let my bosses husband borrow it,I thought he was going to cut something but he instead used a 2 pound hammer to drive it through some thick plastic under seat bins on his pontoon boat to drain water. :mad: To be fair it didn't unlock, no real damage to the g10 handles (its linerless) just some noticeable side to side play that I cant get out no matter how hard I squeeze the pivot. It actually is a tough knife,to bad you gotta go through 10 of them to find one thats decent enough to drop in your pocket o_O:thumbsdown:
Thanks for the input, I definitely wouldn't buy one I couldn't handle first,and thats a shame. Hope your week is a good one as well:cool::thumbsup:
It sounds like the g10 sodbuster lockback is the one that i purchased that i keep in my toolbox. I had exactly the same issues that you had.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't fret too much. All of my Case Sodbuster's were super wobbly. RR's on the other hand were rock solid as were German Eye brand soddies. At least the ones that I had.

I wouldn't fret too much. All of my Case Sodbuster's were super wobbly. RR's on the other hand were rock solid as were German Eye brand soddies. At least the ones that I had.
I also have a RR locking sodbuster type,liner lock. Looking for more information on it is what led me to blade forums actually. The only problem I had with it was that the lock bar wouldn't engage the blade enough to lock. Being brass I simply tweaked it a little bit with some needlenose pliers.

I'd not feel guilty about buying the chinese RR's at all. At the end of the day you're still supporting a US company SMKW?
Thats how I see it. :)

When I buy an offshore manufactured Buck knife like the 389 Canoe (no Idaho made canoe) or 371 Stockman (different cover choices) the profit on those knives goes to Buck.

Same for the BTI Schrade family of knives.
BTI is a US company. (so is Taylor who owned Schrade before BTI)

I bought Schrade family knives, were they Schrade, Old Timer, Camillus, Imperial, Ulster, Uncle Henry, or whatever, before they locked their doors (I guess it didn't matter they got my money) and if I like the knife and can afford it, I have no problem buying the offshore product.

(NOTE: I have a "Prov. RI" Imperial Barlow and a "Made in Ireland" Imperial Barlow from before Imperial shut down ... I think ... Did Imperial US close down after the fire and before Schrade closed/discontinued all their brands in 2004?)

Last edited:

I have tried to wait for Bear to get their act together for many years, they pretty much are what they are.

Which honestly is a good aspect of RR, the value alows the gifting of a nice knife. I do have a habit of giving a knife to someone who asks to borrow mine.

One of the best aspects of RR is introducing someone to the hobby. One of the best aspects of the hobby is that it invites sharing. Well said and well done!

Good Evening everyone, hope you all have a good weekend.:thumbsup: I suppose most of you probably know, but for those who don't and are interested, Rough Rider have just released a 3 Blade Sowbelly Stockman in Green Micarta for fifteen US dollars[ bit more over here ] and they look okay. There is a brief video clip on youtube from SMK. :)

Well ... the Old Timer 280OT I ordered yesterday arrived on schedule. :)
(the Uncle Henry 885 is going to be a day late)

Quality is pretty much as expected.
Not as sharp as a Rough Rider out of the box, but a few minutes with the bottom of a coffee mug took care of that minor issue.
No gaps visible, the main blade isn't exactley centered. (big dead --it's a $10 knife, and that doesn't affect functionality. Come to that my vintage US made Ulster #10 doesn't have perfectly centered blades either.) and the pen blade backspring is slightly shrunk when closed, but flush when open. (again big deal)
Over-all it should make for a fine EDC on the days I carry a Barlow. :)

The Uncle Henry 885UH arrived today! :)

I'm a little dissapointed, it is only 4 inches closed. I thought it was at least 1/4 inch longer.

I guess I'll jave to order that RR Stroke of Luck large stockman next month.
(may as well order the matching canoe and trapper while I'm at it?)

No noticable gaps, blades are sharper out of the box than the Old Timer 280OT's

No blade wiggle or noticable blade rub (3 blades 2 backspring design)
The main feels a little gritty on open and close, so I need to wash the joint. Good thing I have a unused toothbrush. :)

It should make for an acceptable EDC. :)

Back