Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Very disappointing. I would have thought micarta would be a pretty hard to mess up. I hope they use real micarta on this run. The one arm-reserve I briefly owned felt like real micarta. But who knows.

I think the denim micarta will be ok as it actually is a micarta. You can see the woven fabric in the edges. Looking closely at the work knife its universally black with no discernable fabric/paper embedded. I don't know what the material is but I'm now thinking it isn't a micarta at all.

You can see the 'woven fabric' in the denim micarta, but if you sand it down to get to the actual 'woven 'fabric' as i am doing, you'll get a lot of resin dust and NO 'woven fabric'.

Down about a third of the way, now i am going to sand more and see if there's anything in there.

Anyone seen this yet? I like it better than the previous reserve releases. D2 steel I believe.

KyOH2XKm.jpg

Where did this pic come from? Cheers

You can see the 'woven fabric' in the denim micarta, but if you sand it down to get to the actual 'woven 'fabric' as i am doing, you'll get a lot of resin dust and NO 'woven fabric'.

Down about a third of the way, now i am going to sand more and see if there's anything in there.

Maybe being cotton it has been fully impregnated with the resin so you wouldn't get denim dust. I have an Tops made Camillus fixed blade that has canvas micarta scales. I completely reshaped the grips and I didn't notice any difference in the dust that I remember.

Maybe being cotton it has been fully impregnated with the resin so you wouldn't get denim dust. I have an Tops made Camillus fixed blade that has canvas micarta scales. I completely reshaped the grips and I didn't notice any difference in the dust that I remember.

i'm just trying to get the same feel as the Northwoods denim micarta, you could feel the fabric with no sanding. Also it still feels like smooth resin in the area i've sanded.

Denim feels like jeans, that's what its supposed to be. Like they said in 'The Wire' - "Money FEEL LIKE money!"

This may be like the resin-coated MOP and Abalone, a thin layer covered with a thick layer on top.
Smells pretty BS-y so far.

Strike 2 for Pipe's 'micarta', go chase pipes Kevin after one more, IMHO.

The Denim Micarta I assume was sanded down to the final shape when the knife was assembled. When you are sanding them further is the denim pattern vanishing? How would they get that pattern throughout the resin I wonder unless there is some sort of fabric in there?
My 001 does look like the denim pattern could have been printed on the finished scale and has basically no 'feel' at all to it. I wonder if they used some sort of lighter fabric dyed to look like denim, and not proper denim.
Do you have any pictures of yours after sanding?

as i sand it, the denim pattern becomes clearer and brighter, i guess due to less 'top coat' over whatever be down there, lol.
gone past the first layer of fibers showing on the side - nada

as i sand it, the denim pattern becomes clearer and brighter, i guess due to less 'top coat' over whatever be down there, lol.
gone past the first layer of fibers showing on the side - nada

nada? No fibers?

Back