Round Yorkshire With A Knife: Heading For The Coast (more at post 41)

BYO harpoon.
Thanks Jack-that was an excellent travelogue-one of the best yet I reckon. Lashings of humour, adventure and history .
Thank you for pointing out James Cooks correct naval rank -He was a Lieutenant Commander and I recommend the books "Charco Harbour" by Godfrey Blunden and "Captain Cook" by Vanessa Collingridge -apparently he discovered some place called New Zealand as well by complete accident and misfortune.
Naked short selling is something to do with share trading.
Cheers.

or at least get someone to follow you around with a video camera so we can experience the Fool for ourselves :D

Beautiful, you my end up with competition if we all come over to hunt inspired by your stories & photos.

Tom

Jack, you've outdone yourself with this installment which is no small accomplishment given your previous stories.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Very funny to me:

"as I realize what has happened, I launch the gull-chewed remnant after the thieving bird, and it's partner in crime swoops in and snatches the broken ring out of the air. Nearby pedestrians are quite amazed by the spectacle, and I suspect that seagull-punching might be frowned upon, even if it were likely that an attempt might succeed. It's hard though, not to laugh at the sheer cheek and audacity of my avine assailant."

Very excellent photography on this most wonderful quest story!

Enjoyed this one immensely! :thumbup: :)

I love England - I can read their signs. :thumbup::D

The felonious feathered flying fiend. It must have stowed away on HMS Endeavour.

Many thanks my friends, as always it was a pleasure to have you along, and Whitby was certainly more fun to visit than Rotherham or Batley! :) :thumbup:

Thank you, Jack. This was a lovely read, I could smell the salt air.
Nice little haul of pen knives, too. I just don't see a lot of MOP and ivory these days.

This photo made me think of Monty Python :D

IMG_4368_zps047f2569.jpg

Thank you r8shell, I must have seen that sign 200 times, and it still makes me laugh! :D

A pleasant and spectacular arm-chair journey, with a nice cuppa this morning!! Thanks for doing all the work, Jack!
We all owe ya!!

I'm gonna have to find a golden ale for dinner, and hope it measures up to your "Black Dog"!

Thanks Charlie, it WAS good, the first pint barely touched the sides! :)

Jack, you've outdone yourself with this installment which is no small accomplishment given your previous stories. And while I suppose Pickering, Whitby and Helmsley deserve some of the credit for being such picturesque and interesting places, you've more than done them justice with your photos and stories. It's a shame that Whitby was so crowded, but I can certainly understand the crowd appeal as it seems an amazingly charming place.

It sounds as if you had an excellent and fruitful day and made some terrific knife finds, especially the R F Moseley. Congrats! I'll also be interested to see what you eventually decide to do with your gift from Ned.

Again, truly wonderful photos from this trip, but I believe this one is my favorite:

IMG_4512_zpsd4973580.jpg

As always, thank you for sharing your adventures with us. :)

Thank you Stephen, Whitby is a very photogenic place. The pic above is taken from the end of a tunnel which passes through the cliff. Unfortunately, the classic Whitby shot of the abbey framed by the whale bones is no longer possible because of the benches, and the whale bones have actually been replaced by fibre-glass copies!

Ned's WIP looks double-edged- is that allowed over there? Great stuff as always. I think I'll try Whitby on a non-holiday sometime.

Thanks pal. British carry laws make no written distinction because a single edge or double edge blade, but Ned's WIP only has a single edge :thumbup:

Jack, you need to stop wasting your time and talent and gt your own show on the telly.

"Travels with Jack" would be a great weekly show with each week takings to yet another little known corner of the relm. Local pubs, castles and markets. I know I'd be a die hard viewer!!!

Good show, Jack!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hear hear!

Thank you guys, but I fear the knife content would be frowned on by the BBC! And perhaps my ugly mug is better suited to the radio! :D

Thanks Jack, I appreciate the nod :)

A great read and as many have said already, I enjoyed this one greatly.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I couldn't resist picking that one up for you! They are the most collectible of the Richards knives. I'll hopefully get it in the post to you this week my friend :thumbup:

I imagine you already have a whistle! ;)

Jack

Not standard issue these days, we have Motorola MTH800s. But to be fair, a whistle would be more reliable in the Hebrides! :)

Not standard issue these days, we have Motorola MTH800s. But to be fair, a whistle would be more reliable in the Hebrides! :)

Yes, they are certainly not obsolete! :D

I'll see if I have anything suitable in my trinket drawer! ;) I thought you might already have one :thumbup:

And if anyone has any tips on heat-treating Damascus, I'd be very grateful for them! :eek: :confused: :thumbup:

Beautiful scenery and another great read. Thanks for dragging us along!

Thank you sir, I've been known to say that I sometimes go to these small Yorkshire towns so others don't have to, but in this case it was a pleasure for me too :)

Yes, they are certainly not obsolete! :D

I'll see if I have anything suitable in my trinket drawer! ;) I thought you might already have one :thumbup:

Lol! Jack, you misunderstand me. We have tons of whistles about the house, as Claire used all sorts of different types when she was doing her dog handler thing for mountain rescue. You need not go rummaging! :)

Jack,
I really love the photos and stories you share. I've dreamed of visiting the U.K. for most of my life, and your pics are an excellent substitute. Someday, I do hope to visit there. Keep up the great work, and looking forward to your next adventure!

Jim

Lol! Jack, you misunderstand me. We have tons of whistles about the house, as Claire used all sorts of different types when she was doing her dog handler thing for mountain rescue. You need not go rummaging! :)

Sorry Paul! :D

Jack,
I really love the photos and stories you share. I've dreamed of visiting the U.K. for most of my life, and your pics are an excellent substitute. Someday, I do hope to visit there. Keep up the great work, and looking forward to your next adventure!

Jim

Thank you Jim. Please let me know if you're ever able to make it over :thumbup:

If only the Richards Police knife -upon opening the blade -went
"Evenin' all" or
"'Ello ,ello ,ello .Wots goin' on 'ere then?"
Sorry Paul.
I'm sure if they made a Fireman version it would be really difficult to find or open and upon opening it would make a chronic loud snoring sound.:D

Further to HMS Endeavour- Sadly she could not have transported the snack snatching seagull because she was scuttled in Narragansett Bay Rhode Island in 1778.
A rather poor end to such an incredible voyage.

Last edited:
Back