Round Yorkshire With A Knife: Heading For The Coast (more at post 41)

Now that I've introduced Whitby, I feel that this would be a good time to share my favourite Whitby tale. The events I'm about to describe took place more than twenty years ago, and I was not involved in them whatsoever, but I occasionally recount the story, and it always warms my heart to do so.

I don't think it is the case so much today, but in the past, when winter came round, the tourists and holiday-makers abandoned Whitby to the fishermen and the locals, who gathered in pubs like The Black Horse to warm their bones and drink their ale. One bleak night a group of middle-aged locals sat nursing their pints, telling tales and lamenting the fact that, as most of us do, they had unexpectedly arrived in their golden years, perhaps not having achieved everything they might have achieved, or run every race they could have. But on this particular evening, the familiar story took on a new form, and the germ of an idea formed with it. What they needed was an adventure, and one man, Captain Jack, would lead them on it.

Among Whitby's many proud sons was one who had invented the crow's nest, an important innovation in its day. Yet he was buried in the arctic without a proper marker. The motley crew assembled in the pub could identify with their ancestor, and a plan began to come together for them to honour this former son of Whitby, and have a real adventure themselves along the way.

Captain Jack had a boat, a humble old craft, the Helga Maria, and over the next few weeks, with the help of his new (totally inexperienced) crew, which included the local vicar, they worked to make it shipshape and Bristol fashion, enthused with a new energy they had not possessed for many years. The Helga Maria had a new coat of paint, and like her crew looked to be in better shape than she had been in for a long time. The man from the British Admiralty disagreed however, proclaiming the craft to be dangerous and unseaworthy, it would not be allowed to leave Whitby harbour.

Jack's crew were despondent after all their hard work. Over the past weeks, they'd been carried away by their dreams of adventure. Their lives looked all the more depressing at the thought that those dreams were now to be crushed, and that they were destined to sit around the pub table, fading into old age, only dreaming of what might have been.

No! They would not give up! This adventure was important to them. They set back to work on the boat, determined to win the approval of the man from the British Admiralty.

The Helga Maria was inspected once again, and Captain Jack and his ship-mates waited with baited breath. But the man from the Admiralty shook his head, the boat had no radio, and without one it could not be certified as seaworthy.

Once more, the crew of the Helga Maria were left in dismay. They couldn't afford a new ship's radio, or any of the other things that were needed. Once more they repaired to the pub with the heavy weight of disappointment sitting on their collective shoulders.

But they were determined that no naval bureaucrat was going to thwart their plans, and so they resolved to defy the Admiralty and the Royal Navy, and laying plans to communicate with the vicar's secretary by telephone as and when possible, they slipped out of Whitby harbour under cover of darkness.

The next day, when the Helga Maria's absence was noticed, the man from the Admiralty was not amused, and naval warships were ordered to hunt her down and arrest her crew. The little boat and her inexperienced crew were facing the full might of the Royal Navy, and nobody expected that the hunt would last long.

The Admiralty however, had not counted on the sheer determination of the first-time sailors and the dogged guile of their captain. The Helga Maria hugged the coastlines of small Scottish Islands, mooring in tiny bays, so that the vicar could get telephone reports of the hunt from his secretary and pass back news of their situation.

The Navy stalked the craft, but it's small size, and lack of a radio, undoubtedly worked to the advantage of the Whitby adventurers, as they slipped in and out of the network of islands between the North Yorkshire coast and the Outer Hebrides, playing cat and mouse all the way to the Arctic, and the site of the long-deceased son of Whitby they sought to honour.

Against all the odds, they had made it, and out on the ice, a ceremony was held, and a small monument erected to mark the last resting place of that Yorkshire lad. Then the crew readied themselves to return home, their mission accomplished, something neither the Admiralty nor the Royal Navy could now take away from them. But the tiny craft was stuck fast in the ice, and it looked as if the adventure would end badly for all involved. The vicar prayed for divine intervention, and by miracle or good luck, the ice shifted and the Helga Maria was free once more.

Captain Jack led his brave sailors homewards now, still dodging the Royal Navy as they went. They were bold and hardened by their trip, but knew that they would have to face the wrath of the Admiralty upon their return. On the night before their return, the vicar rang his secretary and told her they planned to slip into Whitby harbour at midnight.

Sure enough, the little boat that had successfully evaded the might of the Royal Navy, approached the twin wings of Whitby's ancient harbour as the clock on the cliff-top church chimed midnight. The crew stood on the deck to see the home that it had at one time looked like they might never see again. They had expected that their return would be secret, but as they entered the welcoming arms of the harbour walls, they could see that the entire town of Whitby had turned out in the darkness to greet them, and were loudly cheering the return of the local heroes.

I'm writing this in the pub with a lump in my throat, and I can't tell you what exactly happened after the Helga Maria came back. I do know however that everyone who crewed the boat had the adventure of a lifetime, that the Admiralty were left embarrassed and shame-faced and chose not to make martyrs of a small group of middle-aged people, and that some years after the events described, when I was in Whitby and wanted to interview Captain Jack, I was told that he was off on another adventure, and the Helga Maria was out at sea.

Hopefully, we've all got at least one more adventure left ;)

Jack

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this wonderful post. Someone needs to make a movie.

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. Someone needs to make a movie.

Thanks, I've always said the same. Just been reading about it elsewhere though, and it's rather depressing :(

Jack,
I really love the photos and stories you share. I've dreamed of visiting the U.K. for most of my life, and your pics are an excellent substitute. Someday, I do hope to visit there. Keep up the great work, and looking forward to your next adventure!

Jim

Thank you Jim. Please let me know if you're ever able to make it over :thumbup:

Come visit the Outer Hebrides too!

If only the Richards Police knife -upon opening the blade -went
"Evenin' all" or
"'Ello ,ello ,ello .Wots goin' on 'ere then?"
Sorry Paul.
I'm sure if they made a Fireman version it would be really difficult to find or open and upon opening it would make a chronic loud snoring sound.:D

Further to HMS Endeavour- Sadly she could not have transported the snack snatching seagull because she was scuttled in Narragansett Bay Rhode Island in 1778.
A rather poor end to such an incredible voyage.

If it's on my beat it's more likely to say; "och here Donald, where's ye troosers?!"

:p

Great tale about cap'n Jack, Jack!

Fantastic stuff, Jack!

:thumbup:

I now want to name a pet "Helga Maria."

I wonder what knives the men (and women!) may have had along?

;)

~ P.

ones with marline spikes I'd say.
Jack-when did this heroic event take place?-I just got in so will check the link directly.
And YES this would so make a great movie in the style of The Full Monty- the little men who become heroes of a sort and conquer their fears and demons by going on a noble adventure.
Imagine- Huge Grant as the vicar,Robert Carlyle as Captain Jack, Keira Knightly or Lena Headey as the Vicars wife ,Rupert Vansittart as the bluff and pompous Admiralty dude.
also starring as the crew-Johnny Depp (gotta have an American ,I know) Bono?naah How bout Sam Worthington?
cheers.

I just looked it up, and there was a movie made in 1999. "Captain Jack"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163006/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Review: "This is a typical British film. Full of pathos, self-deprecating humour and a very strong supporting cast. It's unashamedly sentimental, but thoroughly enjoyable, and anyone going to see it cannot fail to like it.

A sharp script by Jack Rosenthal and nicely directed, although the denoument of the film is never in doubt. Sadie Frost looks gorgeous as ever, and Bob Hoskins does his usual turn as a lovable rogue."

Filming Locations: Whitby, North Yorkshire, England, UK

WOW - nice find Rachel. I might order this - The story seems to be one in the same.

Jack - thank you again for the good read.

A great post, Jack!
Great read and I remember a guy who was always up for a good adventure....hmmmmmm.

I'm on a search and locate mission for that movie now.:thumbup:
and its got one of the actors out of the full monty
Thanks r8shell.:)

If it's on my beat it's more likely to say; "och here Donald, where's ye troosers?!"

:p

Great tale about cap'n Jack, Jack!

:D Thanks Paul, I believe one of the crew was a former Scottish policeman! :)

Also loved this bit from the Nick Davies article, straight out of an Ealing comedy! :D

Three days later, the Helga Maria slipped into a quiet bay on a small Scottish island. Captain Jack needed help. He also needed to be invisible. He crept across the hills to a call box and was alarmed to discover that it was so old-fashioned that he had to speak direct to the island operator. His Yorkshire accent would surely give him away. And what if the operator listened in to his call? He decided he would have to speak in code and then, producing his best Scottish accent, he asked the operator for the number of an old friend who lived on the island. It seemed to work. Then the operator came back. “Go ahead,” she said. “You’re through, Jack.”

Everyone on the island knew the Helga Maria was there. By the time he had finished his call, the local police constable was waiting to see him. With a long face, he informed Captain Jack that he was a wanted man. The captain pleaded that he only needed a few hours to take on provisions and he would be away. “I’m afraid that if they tell me to arrest you, I’ll have to do it,” said the policeman, He turned away. “Well, I’m off to my daughter’s,” he added. “If they call me there, I’ll be back to take you in.” Captain Jack nodded. “Mind you,” said the policeman. “She’s not on the phone.”

Fantastic stuff, Jack!

:thumbup:

I now want to name a pet "Helga Maria."

I wonder what knives the men (and women!) may have had along?

;)

~ P.

Thanks P, hopefully there was a Sheepsfoot or two! :thumbup:

ones with marline spikes I'd say.
Jack-when did this heroic event take place?-I just got in so will check the link directly.
And YES this would so make a great movie in the style of The Full Monty- the little men who become heroes of a sort and conquer their fears and demons by going on a noble adventure.
Imagine- Huge Grant as the vicar,Robert Carlyle as Captain Jack, Keira Knightly or Lena Headey as the Vicars wife ,Rupert Vansittart as the bluff and pompous Admiralty dude.
also starring as the crew-Johnny Depp (gotta have an American ,I know) Bono?naah How bout Sam Worthington?
cheers.

It was in 1991 I believe. I had thought it was earlier, think I went to Whitby to interview Captain Jack in 1993.

I just looked it up, and there was a movie made in 1999. "Captain Jack"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163006/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Unfortunately, I think there was a lot of falling out in relation to the film, I found a rather caustic article about it online.

Review: "This is a typical British film. Full of pathos, self-deprecating humour and a very strong supporting cast. It's unashamedly sentimental, but thoroughly enjoyable, and anyone going to see it cannot fail to like it.

A sharp script by Jack Rosenthal and nicely directed, although the denoument of the film is never in doubt. Sadie Frost looks gorgeous as ever, and Bob Hoskins does his usual turn as a lovable rogue."

Filming Locations: Whitby, North Yorkshire, England, UK

WOW - nice find Rachel. I might order this - The story seems to be one in the same.

Jack - thank you again for the good read.

Thanks, I might order a copy myself! :)

To Jack Black and pmew:

Thank you! I will let you guys know if I can ever make it to the U.K. My older brother and his wife got to visit there many years ago and had a great time.

Jim

I don't know why anyone should be surprised at Captain jack's voyage being a success. After all, it's in the genes of the English to make successful small boat voyages that seem impossible at the time. I'm sure when the crew of the H.M.S. Bounty dumped Bligh over the side in a badly overloaded long boat in the South Pacific, they though now one would ever see him agains. Surprise surprise, he turns up after a 3.500 mile voyage at the outpost on Dutch East Timor.

Ernest Shackleton spends many months stuck on the ice shelf and then takes to the open boats to get his men to Elephant Island without loosing a single man. He then sets out with Frank Worsley in a life boat converted by the sips carpenter to a sail boat, sails 800 miles across the harshest, roughest, unforgiving section of sea on earth, to a pinpoint spot of rock that had a whaling stain on it, to get help for his stranded crew back on Elephant Island. The spot of rock called South Georga Island had to ht dead on, because if they missed it, they'd never have made landfall anywhere alive. But Frank Worsley, with just a hand held compass and sextant, hits it right on.

I have a private theory that deep in every Englsihman is a bit of old sea dog. So many centuries a little island nation relied on it's Royal Navy to keep it safe, theres a sailor someplace in every Englishmans gene pool. I could be wrong, but the sea is something the British has always done well at. Explorations, naval warfare, trade across the globe. If it's on the other side of the water, a Britisher will make it there!:thumb up:

They did play hell with the Spanish armada!:eek:

Tonight, I hoist a shot glass for Captain Jack. Good show!

Back