Rubber handled 171UH?

I guess I'm paranoid but I don't trust anything that doesn't have a tang stamp saying USA.Arnold

From looking at the seller's past auctions, a couple of things are noteworthy.
1) He sells a lot of stuff besides knives
2) He is selling a 'collection' of Schrade-USA and other knives
3) He uses the same "Schrade USA" background on every knife

I suspect he bought a collection of knives to sell on eBay. The collection was mostly Schrades, so he's assuming this knife is a Schrade also.

Small warning bells went off when I first looked at that item this morning. Not only is there no Schrade USA tang stamp, there's no tang stamp at all. And I can't read the logo on the handle enough to do any further investigating.

There are legitimate reasons why a real Schrade-USA knife would have no tang stamp, but I wouldn't bite without some substantial evidence. you should e-mail the seller with some questions and see what he says.

-Bob

I have about a dozen 171s in my collection and check all of them on the auctions.All I have seen are tang stamped with USA except the China ones.Even the one below is marked USA.Arnold

Attachments

• PICT0030.JPG
    PICT0030.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 17
  • PICT0031.JPG
    PICT0031.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 24
Arnold, no new additions to the 171 Clan, still looking out for a decent latter style Schrade Walden though.

Rusty1

Using Tobyrogers' photos for comparison, that ebay item isn't the same knife model. Check out the blade grinds, particularly the top grind that creates the false edge.

-Bob

Bob,one of the things I try to check is the grinds especially the top.I've found that they changed it from time to time but never had one this short.Arnold

I did by a Chinese copy of the 171UH just to see what they were really like, when I get home tonight I will check out the differences between the Knife on e-bay and the Chinese model, If you have not put one of the Chinese models up against the original USA 171's, don't bother, they do not compare at all, except from a distance, where they vaguely look similar. I know Arnold has studied the 171's for some time and there are variations in the blades The swedges on some 171's have varying starting points along the top of the blade. where the swedge starts on some blades there is more of a sharper upswing on the swedge toward the point of the blade. the knife in question above has a long sweeping style.

Rusty1

I still can't make heads or tails out of that handle logo. PAO, P&O, F&O. No Google results for any of these.

Here's the Chinese 171. There's no enlarged photo but it looks closer to the USA-Schrade than the eBay item, particularly the choil shape. http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/Catalog/Product.php?ProductLine=UNC&ItemNumber=171UH

Also, the 171UH is a full-length tang. So it would have to be modified to fit in the rubber handle mold? Also, the 171 has no lanyard hole.

My current hypothesis is that eBay knife has no relationship to the 171UH at all.

-Bob

The handle says PRO, I enlarged it and lightened it enough to make it out.

Rusty1

curious knife non the less, could it be an addition to the collection as it is very close to the 171's, and that the seller is correct about where it came from, I know he has sold some other Schrade one off's in the past, or do you pass it by. It looks more like a 171 to disregard it all together IMHO.

Rusty1

Also look at where the tip ends.On a 171 if you lay it on its back edge the tip will touch the surface of what its laid on.The tip on this knife appears to stop at midline of the blade.Arnold

The seller told me once he has a huge stock of "End of Days" knives he obtained from the factory closing. Like some other similar sellers, they are usually "new" but rarely come with original documentation or container. He sells them a few at a time. He's the same one that has sold a couple albino LB-8's and multitudes of coco and white delrin LB-1's.

The blade is too far off for me but if I could get it for the 9.50 starting bid I'd buy it to use in the kitchen.I noticed another thing.How many stainless steel 171s have you seen.Arnold

Back