Sailors of the Sheepsfoot Main

I have decided to add a traditional single blade sailor style sheepsfoot to my collection. I would like the knife to be about 3.5” closed, so that it can get a lot of EDC time. I would like to stay under $100 --the farther below, the better. I have narrowed down my choices to the Otter Anchor knife, Le London from France, or the Oakedge work back version of Wright’s sheepsfoot pattern. I am open to other makers however. I ask that those who have used any of these knives with sheepsfoot main blades to post their experiences, to help navigate me in the right direction. Thanks!

-Bart

Last edited:
I have decided to add a traditional single blade sailor style sheepsfoot to my collection. I would like the knife to be about 3.5” closed, so that it can get a lot of EDC time. I would like to stay under $100 --the farther below, the better. I have narrowed down my choices to the Otter Anchor knife, Le London from France, or the Oakedge work back version of Wright’s sheepsfoot pattern. I am open to other makers however. I ask that those who have used any of these knives post their experiences, to help shepherd me in the right direction. Thanks!

-Bart
I recently receive a GEC #15 Navy Knife in Old Barn Chestnut that had excellent fit and finish and outstanding action. I had it modified into a lambsfoot, but it was a fine example of a sailor blade. I've also had the Otter version in stainless steel that I passed on to another member in a giveaway. The quality of the Otter isn't as good as GEC, but still solid and only about half the price.

Otter makes a nice knife. Here's their Otter-Messer.
nztCOME.jpg

ZypOxAR.jpg

It's a pattern I like very much Bart :) Otter's Ankermesser is pretty nice. Wright's (who make the Oakedge knives) do them with various covers
The Oakedge version has the work back and longer bolster, for not much more money than the Otter. The Otter does have the anchor though. The French versions are interesting as well, but a bit more in cost....

Otter makes a nice knife. Here's their Otter-Messer.
The Otter-Messer Anchor knife was carried by one of my family members who worked the Brooklyn Docks (and later tended our local pub) from the late 40's until the early 60's. I saw his knife back in 2005 during a family visit, still wicked sharp!

The Otter-Messer Anchor knife was carried by one of my family members who worked the Brooklyn Docks (and later tended our local pub) from the late 40's until the early 60's. I saw his knife back in 2005 during a family visit, still wicked sharp!

That sounds like a good reason to get an Otter Bart :thumbsup:

Here's an Otter Messer I have, without the anchor inlay. I think it was called the "Workman" model, and it certainly lives up to that name in being a solid, heavy-duty knife. It was very inexpensive and does not have perfect fit and finish.
4fTe8cj.jpg

- GT

As you know, and perhaps thanks mostly to your advice over the years, I am very fond of the Wright's knives!

Thanks Bart :) You might also want to consider Wright's take on the Tackler pattern :thumbsup:

The only one I have is this pre-production sample from last year's Guardian knife, but I think it's a nice pattern even without the hollow bolster :thumbsup:

AW Special Tackler 1-3.JPG

Here's an Otter Messer I have, without the anchor inlay. I think it was called the "Workman" model, and it certainly lives up to that name in being a solid, heavy-duty knife. It was very inexpensive and does not have perfect fit and finish.
I like the Workman, it looks like it jumped right out of the hold of the Steamboat Arabia! A bit large for EDC for me (or I am a bit too small for it!). Super stout tool box knife though!

I second the Otter Messer Anchor Knife. They do two different sizes, carbon or stainless and with different cover materials. Mine is a small (to fit with our carry laws) carbon Anchor. A very nice little knife for the price. Sorry I've never had a GEC to hand to compare it with.

xczcryc.jpg

I am going to put a word in for the Case 11031. It is more of a vintage knife but they are generally available and for well under your price point. I have a couple of them and they are simply terrific. Stout blades, sturdily constructed, wonderful walk and talk with a good stout pull and a hearty snap.

gxfwf7K.jpg

faerbgP.jpg

Back