Sailors of the Sheepsfoot Main

I am going to put a word in for the Case 11031. It is more of a vintage knife but they are generally available and for well under your price point. I have a couple of them and they are simply terrific. Stout blades, sturdily constructed, wonderful walk and talk with a good stout pull and a hearty snap.

gxfwf7K.jpg

faerbgP.jpg
Can't get much better than knives and Martin guitars! :thumbsup::cool:

There's a nice youtube video showing the manufacturing of the anchor knives at the Otter factory
Thanks! A very interesting behind the scenes look!

Mine is a small (to fit with our carry laws) carbon Anchor. A very nice little knife for the price. Sorry I've never had a GEC to hand to compare it with.

The small size would be beneficial in dress trousers.

I also have not seen a GEC in person, nor the Le London pattern from northern France, either of which may also work for my purposes. Some mail order firms here in the States have been recently carrying the Le London pattern as a somewhat higher cost replacement for the Otter Anchor messer.

One wonders if the German, English and French patterns evolved independently in response to similar carry needs aboard ship, or if one influenced the others (which seems to be implied by the name Le London for the regional knife of northern France).

I am going to put a word in for the Case 11031. It is more of a vintage knife but they are generally available and for well under your price point. I have a couple of them and they are simply terrific. Stout blades, sturdily constructed, wonderful walk and talk with a good stout pull and a hearty snap.
Certainly one to add to my list!

Can't get much better than knives and Martin guitars! :thumbsup::cool:

So very true, my friend. I think there is a Guitars and blades thread around here somewhere, may need to resurrect it.

Here is another excellent sheepfoot option, the GEC 15 (single blade). Slim, light, and GEC executes a superbly slicey sheepfoot blade. They can be a bit harder to come by as they are not a current production but I do see them pop up with some frequency. (apologies for the old photos)

BcFIA1C.jpg

9nkshgo.jpg

Here is another excellent sheepfoot option, the GEC 15 (single blade). Slim, light, and GEC executes a superbly slicey sheepfoot blade. They can be a bit harder to come by as they are not a current production but I do see them pop up with some frequency. (apologies for the old photos)
Thanks! Another one certainly worthy of consideration!

I'm more into knives with some sort of history behind them. That said I'll recommend you look at Camillus USCG Approved 1944 Q5 life raft knives. You can find the at half your budget or less.

There's a Kutmaster that's a bit smaller.

Camillus%2520Rope%2520Knife%2520Open.jpg

I'm more into knives with some sort of history behind them. That said I'll recommend you look at Camillus USCG Approved 1944 Q5 life raft knives. You can find the at half your budget or less.

There's a Kutmaster that's a bit smaller.

Camillus%2520Rope%2520Knife%2520Open.jpg
These are great knives. Inherited one from my father, who was in the Coast Guard in WWII! Perhaps the first true traditional I can recall. Being a little fellow of three or four years old I was often admonished not to touch the knife in Dad's toolbox ("Get away from there, that thing will cut your finger off!") Too long for EDC for me though, not that I haven't tried!

These are great knives. Inherited one from my father, who was in the Coast Guard in WWII! Perhaps the first true traditional I can recall. Being a little fellow of three or four years old I was often admonished not to touch the knife in Dad's toolbox ("Get away from there, that thing will cut your finger off!") Too long for EDC for me though, not that I haven't tried!

Yes, they are easy to get razor sharp. Again, there's a Kutmaster USCG 1944 Approved that's shorter.

Anker Messer, man--buy one. Otter Messer is a good value in hard working tools. Keep your Otters busy, they won't be happy in a glass case.

Yes, they are easy to get razor sharp. Again, there's a Kutmaster USCG 1944 Approved that's shorter.
Thanks! My experience with my father's knife certainly confirms the sharpness of these blades! The starting point for my desire to try out a smaller version was certainly the almost mythical sharpness my Dad's USCG knife displayed in use, I am looking for the same sort of knife in regard to cutting ability and ease of pinching open (stiff but not too stiff a spring), but in a smaller package-hence my search for a 3.5" (or there about) handle length.

Otter Messer is a good value in hard working tools. Keep your Otters busy, they won't be happy in a glass case.
Certainly revealed through my Otter Messer Mercator. I plan to alternate the sheepfoot with the Mercator, one of my favorite EDC tools (just out of place at times). One of the reasons that the Otter Anchor knife made my short list!

Another possibility that has come to my attention that may do well is the single blade all stainless version of the "British Army Knife" as made by Egginton in Sheffield, based on the British military clasp knife.

The Anker Messer has always appealed to me, and I will probably get one at some point. In the meantime, here are three inexpensive ways to get your big-sheepsfoot fix.

Ironically, the Rough Rider is the most expensive one here, but look at everything you get with it. I am not sure whether the MAM or the Okapi is cheaper, but they are both under ten bucks. The Biltong gets the most of my pocket time.

9459BBA5-86AD-45F3-AE2B-A10B5FE03E93.jpeg

The Anker Messer has always appealed to me, and I will probably get one at some point. In the meantime, here are three inexpensive ways to get your big-sheepsfoot fix.

Ironically, the Rough Rider is the most expensive one here, but look at everything you get with it. I am not sure whether the MAM or the Okapi is cheaper, but they are both under ten bucks. The Biltong gets the most of my pocket time.
Thanks, Henry!
The Okapi Biltong almost fits the bill, I have one and carry it often. I am looking for a smaller handle and a stouter blade. Part of what drives my choice is the perception of co-workers, and the need at times to do some on the spot carpentry at times. I can palm a 3.5" handle, but I can't get a 4" to disappear in my smallish hands. The stouter blade may be psychological, as the Biltong knife hasn't let me down in this regard. The MAM might work, how long is the handle?

Thanks, Henry!
The Okapi Biltong almost fits the bill, I have one and carry it often. I am looking for a smaller handle and a stouter blade. Part of what drives my choice is the perception of co-workers, and the need at times to do some on the spot carpentry at times. I can palm a 3.5" handle, but I can't get a 4" to disappear in my smallish hands. The stouter blade may be psychological, as the Biltong knife hasn't let me down in this regard. The MAM might work, how long is the handle?

At 4”, it is 1/8” shorter than the Biltong. The Biltong seems smaller to me, but I guess it really isn’t. The blade does not really need all that handle, though. You could take a good half inch off and still cover the blade. I have not seen the need, because it pockets so nicely, but if you can put sandpaper to an Opinel, you can surely do it to an Okapi. The MAM handle could also shed some excess length.

It sounds like you want something about the size of the 2017 forum knife, at 3 1/2” closed.

Back