Sailors of the Sheepsfoot Main

View attachment 912194 View attachment 912195

B Bartleby You can get one of these from Michael May in Sheffield for under $100. Michael used one of Trevor Ablett’s patterns. I find this knife to be perfect for everyday carry. The handle shape fits the hand and pocket perfectly.
Michael May’s website is user friendly, and both knives I purchased from him came quicker than expected. He also responds to emails if you would like something a little different.

20180525_100827.jpg

These do come in a one blade version I think. Great knife.

B Bartleby You can get one of these from Michael May in Sheffield for under $100. Michael used one of Trevor Ablett’s patterns. I find this knife to be perfect for everyday carry. The handle shape fits the hand and pocket perfectly.
Michael May’s website is user friendly, and both knives I purchased from him came quicker than expected. He also responds to emails if you would like something a little different.
I will have a look, thanks! A very interesting take on the handle, quite unique!

These do come in a one blade version I think. Great knife.
Thanks! After seeing your post, I had a look at the clasp knife thread. The one blade version does not have the combination screwdriver/pocket ripper, and looks thin enough to carry unnoticed. How well does the stainless blade hold up for you?

I can't say its had a hard life but it sharpens up well and holds a keen edge.
They may not be the prettiest knife but the are all function and can take care of business. Hey they're English after all.
There are many imitations .some good some bad.

I can't say its had a hard life but it sharpens up well and holds a keen edge.
They may not be the prettiest knife but the are all function and can take care of business. Hey they're English after all.
There are many imitations .some good some bad.
Pretty is what pretty does as they say. These look like they certainly can do quite a lot without worry! All stainless is a good idea for a knife that will see a lot of pocket time.

I’ve been thinking that there was a company that made a sheepsfoot with a locking blade and a buck 110 shaped handle might have been buck. Does anyone know anything about it? Update. Just found it the kershaw coral Creek sheep‘s foot knife.

Another possibility that has come to my attention that may do well is the single blade all stainless version of the "British Army Knife" as made by Egginton in Sheffield, based on the British military clasp knife.

There are locking and non-locking versions. I think Wright's do them too. If you want some added history, you could look out for one of the original Burma Knives :thumbsup:

Burma Knives.JPG

A single blade locking version would certainly make the short list! I recall seeing one advertised some years ago, but have yet to see one in person.

I think I've had one on my table at some point, but not sure what I've done with it :confused: Eggington's make them I think, maybe Wright's too :thumbsup:

I'm more into knives with some sort of history behind them. That said I'll recommend you look at Camillus USCG Approved 1944 Q5 life raft knives. You can find the at half your budget or less.

There's a Kutmaster that's a bit smaller.

Camillus%2520Rope%2520Knife%2520Open.jpg
Great knife and picture!
What's the size of the camillus?

Rough Rider makes a rather nice Marlin Spike.
I have the Ol' Yeller' RR897. (3 inch sheepsfoot and 3 inch marlin spike. not counting the bail it is 4 1/2 inches closed.
If you can handle it having a Pen Secondary the Rough Rider RR1287 (also in Ol' Yeller') "Half Hawk" (2 7/8 inch sheepsfoot and 2 1/2 inch Pen, 4 inches closed) is a great heavy use knife.

Both the Marlin Spike and "Half Hawk" also come with Jigged Bone and other covers.

If you can handle it having a Pen Secondary the Rough Rider RR1287 (also in Ol' Yeller') "Half Hawk" (2 7/8 inch sheepsfoot and 2 1/2 inch Pen, 4 inches closed) is a great heavy use knife.
I actually got to try one of these out a bit already. I liked the look of the two blade half hawk, but I have handled one of these belonging to a buddy and have found the combination of the swayback handle and closed sheepsfoot blade makes the pen blade feel awkward in use in my hand. It was one of the factors (along with its largish size) that helped me to decide on a single blade with a smaller size sheepfoot pattern that split the difference in length.

Right now I am thinking that for my needs it is between the Otter Anchor Messer, the Oakedge work back sheepfoot, or the single blade all stainless British Army knife.

The Otter seems like it is a very straightforward and practical design with a lot of history, including some family history.

The Oakedge is a little bit more money for a nice work back pattern on the blade and spring. I have had some very well executed work from them. The un-embellished version is about the same cost as the Otter knife.

The all stainless British Army knife would certainly take a lot of abuse and pocket carry, but may be a bit too flat to use for any length of time.

Right now I am thinking that for my needs it is between the Otter Anchor Messer, the Oakedge work back sheepfoot, or the single blade all stainless British Army knife.

The Otter seems like it is a very straightforward and practical design with a lot of history, including some family history.
Of those three, I'd go with the Otter Anchor Messer. (I've wanted one for years)
The Oakedge sounds very nice. I've never a fancy work knife with file worked backspring and blade, so I don't know if the file work on the blade spine acts like jimping.
I have a TELO brand all stainless sailor's knife (3 7/8 Inches closed, not counting the bail, and 1/4 inch wide) sheepsfoot, deck key, marlin spike, and fixed screwdriver on the end of the center liner) which has the same profile as the British Army knife. You're right. It does get a little uncomfortable after 25 - 30 minutes of continuous use.

Back