Sal saves the day!

Greykilt

Platinum Member
True or not,

Calling a named customer "ass" on a public forum is not good form...

Darlin' you can call me grandma with a pink tutu if a new Police model is mailed my way as a result.

We can banter this five ways til Wednesday but to get right down to it a disatisfied SpyderCo customer got his knife replaced by the owner of the company and it happened on Blade Forums SpyderCo sub forum. Now we can say Sal's great or we can say Ryan was dilegent but regardless the end result will justify the means.
What interests me is the OP's initial post about how he handles complaints about the service his company provides and yet openly states that it takes very little to set him off and spending enough time with ladies makes one eventually cuss. Methinks that's ridiculous and I doubt seriously that a business man who would go beligerant on a phone call about a pocket knife would be so endearing about a complaint from a customer that their pool still leaks.
But again OP posted anti SpyderCo rants on a SpyderCo appreciation site amongst SpyderCo afficianados even to the point of asking how many here are SpyderCo employees. I'm curious what Ryan expected folks here to actually reply.

Sal Glesser

Well, I think Ryan did the right thing with the thread title, and he apologized to me, which I accept. We apologized to Ryan in our letter with his returned knife. And if I was too hard on Ryan, then I will apologize as well. I do understand, but when I take an a$$hole pill (which I do now and then), I need to be called out.

We should have replaced Ryan's knife to begin with but the new girl (being trained but only a few weeks in) was handling the department as Charlynn was out. She thought she was doing the right thing. That's why I asked Ryan to resend the knife. I'm sure it was frustrating for him.

Hopefully Ryan will get his new knife and will be pleased. If he is so inclined, he could apologize to Vanessa. Maybe we all learned something here and we need to remember; we are all people....we are all important...and we are all trying to do the right thing for the right reasons.

sal

Sal Glesser

Heard one day a story about some soldiers who sent a letter to spyderco, and recieved a box full of natives.

Dear mr. Sal glesser is this true? Because if it is, it's freaking awsome!

Hi IMrcoU,

partially true. We began a lottery for our troops in the middle east in 2003, when the conflict began. We make a Native model with a tan handle and the blade is engraved. We engrave the name of the operation (currently "operation inherent resolve") and "we pray for your safe return" on the blade. Soldiers in the middle east send in their letters for the lottery every month. We read every letter, randomly select 50, and send 50 pcs per month to the troops. We write a letter to them with the knife. Gail signs every letter. We've done this every month for the past 12 years. The troops appreciate the effort.

sal

Well, I think Ryan did the right thing with the thread title, and he apologized to me, which I accept. We apologized to Ryan in our letter with his returned knife. And if I was too hard on Ryan, then I will apologize as well. I do understand, but when I take an a$$hole pill (which I do now and then), I need to be called out.

We should have replaced Ryan's knife to begin with but the new girl (being trained but only a few weeks in) was handling the department as Charlynn was out. She thought she was doing the right thing. That's why I asked Ryan to resend the knife. I'm sure it was frustrating for him.

Hopefully Ryan will get his new knife and will be pleased. If he is so inclined, he could apologize to Vanessa. Maybe we all learned something here and we need to remember; we are all people....we are all important...and we are all trying to do the right thing for the right reasons.

sal

Thank you again Mr Sal.

I will be a much better customer next time.

Awesome. I think the important thing is not that any of us are angels, but that we "sack up" as my friend would say, and do the right thing no matter how painful. The right thing is almost always the hard thing. That's what I saw here, and it's very gratifying, and makes my inner fanboy happy. Ryan got his knife, and Sal showed us that there's a reason we idolize him. Now we can sing Kumbaya and go back to cutting stuff :)

Hi IMrcoU,

partially true. We began a lottery for our troops in the middle east in 2003, when the conflict began. We make a Native model with a tan handle and the blade is engraved. We engrave the name of the operation (currently "operation inherent resolve") and "we pray for your safe return" on the blade. Soldiers in the middle east send in their letters for the lottery every month. We read every letter, randomly select 50, and send 50 pcs per month to the troops. We write a letter to them with the knife. Gail signs every letter. We've done this every month for the past 12 years. The troops appreciate the effort.

sal

Thank you so much Mr.Glesser for doing this for the men and woman who protect the freedom of this land we live in so we can come in forums like this and do whatever it is we do in here.

Now, off to buy another spyderco.

I was several posts behind. I was ready to rip the OP a new one, but then completed reading the entire thread. I'm pleased at the end result.

I'll continue to go on record and commend Sal for his participation in the forums and how he handled this situation.

Hi IMrcoU,

sal

Recently I bought my first Spyderco, after seeing al the good things you and youre company do, I will never buy another brand! You rock ! :)

Great example of how awesome Sal is. Can't wait to get paid and pick up another Spyderco.

Hi Ryan,

I received your knife yesterday. It seems your lack of patience is exceeded only by your rudeness. We have replaced your knife, but in my investigation, every single area you touched; face book, customer service, our forum, etc. indicated that you are / were a butt hole in your dealings with us. Please enjoy your new knife and should you decide to deal with Spyderco again, please learn some manners or go elsewhere. Your kind understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

sal

Well put. If I wasn't already a fan, I would be now.

OP - stop acting as if you required special treatment and understand the schooling that you just received.

Please don't come back.

Well put. If I wasn't already a fan, I would be now.

OP - stop acting as if you required special treatment and understand the schooling that you just received.

Please don't come back.

Buzz off idiot. Just a couple posts above yours...

sal

Buzz off idiot. Just a couple posts above yours...

sal

Yes I can see you learned a great lesson here and resort to name calling again. I had not read all the post I was 4 pages behind - my statement stands you are a clAss act. Well done. Thx for being awesome.

Last edited:
Yes I can see you learned a great lesson here and resort to name calling again. I had not read all the post I was 4 pages behind - my statement stands your an clAss act. Well done. Thx for being awesome.

Dude that was restrained compared to what I want to say to several of you...

sal

Sal I appreciate you and respect you immensely. I don't think you were to hard at all. Expecting a turn around 3 days in coming off the holidays and new knife releases is ludicrous. If you had left him hanging for weeks or a month I get where he might be upset if not hearing a response from you. I understand the apology and it proved again that you and your company are worthy my money every single time. I always have and always will choose Spyderco first each time.

Thank you for being one of the few that stand out in these times of self sense of entitlement world that some people live in.

sal

You've demonstrated far more restraint and politeness than I believe I could have in your shoes, Mr. Glesser. I don't think anything about what you said was too harsh.
Part of the sense of pride I feel with a Spyderco in my pocket is knowing what great people were behind its development and continue to stand behind its quality 100%. Spyderco always makes the cut! :)

The best way I know to complement a chef for a good meal is an empty plate, and the best way I know to compliment a pocket knife maker is to carry their product in my pocket every day :)