Photos SAM LURQUIN WIP MY MAXIMUS HYBRID

Many know Sam Lurquin as a Master Blade Smith

Well to really know Sam is to know he is a Master Dog Man

Sam for many years has been a high level Dog Trainer and Handler and takes inspiration for his knives and their names from dogs he has owned and loved

His ever popular Hurak was named after his dog Hurak

HURAK

The HURAK knife

This brings us to his knife the Maximus

This was the knife design that Sam chose to name Maximus

Yes the knife was named after his dog Maximus

This is Sams Maximus

Maximus was a Rottweiler, a breed I know well. I’ve had the pleasure of having 4 of them in my life

Many know that I am a dog person also and last year I buried my two Dogo Argentinos. I was devastated

I can not be with out dogs and I have been blessed to find two new pups named Maximus ( Max for short) and Lady. They are brother and sister

At 12 months

Maximus and Lady are Bull Terriers

They are old school pits and are turning out to be incredible dogs

Max I bought for myself and Lady was for my daughters ..... I take care of her and she is with Max and I constantly .... kids :)

I have found them even at a young age to be incredible animals

Tough as nails and the most densely muscled dogs I’ve ever owned

Max at 12 months

Max at 13 months

Lady at 13 months

I have also found them to be great woods dogs and very loyal

You can never replace a great dog but you can fall in love again with another great dog and this is what has happened

When I told Sam I was getting Bull Terriers he said that they would be difficult to train and I have not found this to be the case with these bullies at all

This video shows what kind of woods dogs they are turning out to be

I teach my dogs to be my companions in the woods and to take oral direction from me

These pups are far from finished but for adolescents they are exceeding my expectations

Well on to my Hybrid Maximus

I saw a version of a one off Hybrid Maximus that Sam had done and I loved it

The reason I loved it was due to the placement of the sub hilt and the curvature of the blade and handle

This design to me is an incredible feat due to the way this blade should handle and it’s partial integral build ..... quite impressive

Plus it really reminds me of my Bullies head structure

So I needed my own version of Sams MAXIMUS HYBRID

mine will be a one off with a white Micarta Handle and Blackened Blade

Here we go

This will be an epic build and a fantastic tribute to my new best friend MY MAXIMUS

More to come

I’m very excited about this piece for many reasons

Thank you Sam

Last edited:
Good story Joe. I'm a fan of Sams and great dog breeds. My girl is going on eight and by far, the best I've ever had. German lineage that's purer than the Kaiser's himself.

Look forward to the progress of the build.

IMG_0897.JPG

Congratulations to you and Sam both....anything you two do is epic.

Many know Sam Lurquin as a Master Blade Smith

Well to really know Sam is to know he is a Master Dog Man

Sam for many years has been a high level Dog Trainer and Handler and takes inspiration for his knives and their names from dogs he has owned and loved

His ever popular Hurak was named after his dog Hurak

HURAK

The HURAK knife

This brings us to his knife the Maximus

This was the knife design that Sam chose to name Maximus

Yes the knife was named after his dog Maximus

This is Sams Maximus

Maximus was a Rottweiler, a breed I know well. I’ve had the pleasure of having 4 of them in my life

Many know that I am a dog person also and last year I buried my two Dogo Argentinos. I was devastated

I can not be with out dogs and I have been blessed to find two new pups named Maximus ( Max for short) and Lady. They are brother and sister

At 12 months

Maximus and Lady are Bull Terriers

They are old school pits and are turning out to be incredible dogs

Max I bought for myself and Lady was for my daughters ..... I take care of her and she is with Max and I constantly .... kids :)

I have found them even at a young age to be incredible animals

Tough as nails and the most densely muscled dogs I’ve ever owned

Max at 12 months

Max at 13 months

Lady at 13 months

I have also found them to be great woods dogs and very loyal

You can never replace a great dog but you can fall in love again with another great dog and this is what has happened

When I told Sam I was getting Bull Terriers he said that they would be difficult to train and I have not found this to be the case with these bullies at all

This video shows what kind of woods dogs they are turning out to be

I teach my dogs to be my companions in the woods and to take oral direction from me

These pups are far from finished but for adolescents they are exceeding my expectations

Well on to my Hybrid Maximus

I saw a version of a one off Hybrid Maximus that Sam had done and I loved it

The reason I loved it was due to the placement of the sub hilt and the curvature of the blade and handle

This design to me is an incredible feat due to the way this blade should handle and it’s partial integral build ..... quite impressive

Plus it really reminds me of my Bullies head structure

So I needed my own version of Sams MAXIMUS HYBRID

mine will be a one off with a white Micarta Handle and Blackened Blade

Here we go

This will be an epic build and a fantastic tribute to my new best friend MY MAXIMUS

More to come

I’m very excited about this piece for many reasons

Thank you Sam

Awesome story. I love dogs too. Rottweilers are a favourite breed of mine as well as I grew up with 2 of them as family pets when I was a child living in New Orleans.

Today I have my Rottie/King Shepherd mix named Muffin. She looks like a rottie with abit thicker of a double coat. Sometimes I wonder if she is actually 1/4 king shepherd and 3/4 Rottie some how, like her dad was 1/2 rott and 1/2 king shep. Doesn't matter anyway, she is a great, intelligent and loyal dog who lives to please. She guards my house though, and has been great since the day I brought her home 9 long years ago.

The reason I brought it up is you said we can never replace a dog we love, only fall in love again. My friend asked me "will you clone your dog?" I said no, I think it disrespectful to Muffin, and this clone will not be Muffin, only an excercise in vainity.

I hope I get alot of years still with Muffin...it's amazing how much we can love this anjmal from another species. Dogs never stop and think, "what am I doing with this loser? What am I doing with my life?" Lol!

Awesome story. I love dogs too. Rottweilers are a favourite breed of mine as well as I grew up with 2 of them as family pets when I was a child living in New Orleans.

Today I have my Rottie/King Shepherd mix named Muffin. She looks like a rottie with abit thicker of a double coat. Sometimes I wonder if she is actually 1/4 king shepherd and 3/4 Rottie some how, like her dad was 1/2 rott and 1/2 king shep. Doesn't matter anyway, she is a great, intelligent and loyal dog who lives to please. She guards my house though, and has been great since the day I brought her home 9 long years ago.

The reason I brought it up is you said we can never replace a dog we love, only fall in love again. My friend asked me "will you clone your dog?" I said no, I think it disrespectful to Muffin, and this clone will not be Muffin, only an excercise in vainity.

I hope I get alot of years still with Muffin...it's amazing how much we can love this anjmal from another species. Dogs never stop and think, "what am I doing with this loser? What am I doing with my life?" Lol!

Please post a pic

I do love all dogs :)

This is Boss. We rescued him 2.5 years ago from some subhumans who kept him in a kennel in the basement, 10-18h/day (not a typo) with no windows. It took us 6 months to help him settle down and be a dog again.

FB6D78ED-8047-4FF7-BE1F-2AEC08714BAF by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

C3EDB487-0AB1-4F81-BDEE-F4D8BF3C5D22 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

At the cabin near Cadomin Alberta:

D44E8E38-4E3D-4BDD-8746-CD145708314F by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

Unfortunately, he was developing dementia and we put him down on Friday, after we had him 2.5 years.

This is Gunther, a European Great Dane:

1B7DC445-DB61-46A1-A697-116CC14D1C3D by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

His brindle color is great to blend into the ‘70’s furniture at the cabin. He’s 5 this year. We’ve had him since he was 9 weeks old. He was 22lbs when we brought him home. He’s now 190lbs. Boss was 176lbs when weighed at the vets on Friday.

We have a beagle/basset cross that we rescued this spring. I’ll post some pics tomorrow. I don’t have any on the I-pad.

Molly was the Merle Dane who’s in my avatar. I’ll dig up,some old pics tomorrow. Molly was the best dog ever. Everyone who met her loved her. She was a rescue we had for 5 years, and she passed mid gallop with a heart attack running in our 20acre wooded ravine a few years back(just before wo got Boss.) that’s the best way to go for a dog, full gallop with her pack. RIP Molly!!!

I’m going to take a cue from the universe, and name this knife design “Boss”:

42D9CAF9-5687-4BC1-9753-C33E8CE903F9 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

hhmoore, you get Boss#1!

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss and Good on you for doing what you did

I love the giant breeds but I just wish they had longer lives

Thank you for posting and I like the knife

So sorry for your loss and Good on you for doing what you did

I love the giant breeds but I just wish they had longer lives

Thank you for posting and I like the knife

You don’t know love until a giant breed loves you. Damn they are expressive dogs.

Joe, check your PMs. I sent an offer a while back on this knife design. If I’m hijacking, I’ll remove the pic.

Warren

Please forgive me I’m not that accustomed to the new mail and format

I sent you my number lookiing forward to speaking

Thank you and beautiful dogs

Found this video looking through pics. The golden lab puppy is Sammy. His owner is the guy I made these for:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/budget-hunter-for-a-close-friend.1524415/

The other dogs are Gunther, the brindle Dane, Boss, the black Dane, and Murdoch, the Beagle Basset rescue who is still slimming down after moving to the country.

Sammy and Murdoch have really bonded. They’re fun to watch.

Last edited:
Just found out my little sister got a Shepherd Husky mix. I am happy for her and all but that mix is bound to have tons of energy and need for work/play. Plus there is the fact that huskies while beautiful I think are one of the worst dogs for a beginner to own. This is due to their tendancy to not come when called and their lack of homing instinct. Couple this with the fact they are bred to pull and you have a dog that has tons of energy that you can't let off the leash that wants to always pull.

Obviously some huskies seem better than others. Some owners are better than others too. I hope she is ready for that dog. (In my mind even german shepherds are not a good beginners dog, unless you have a large property or live out the city)

I will post a pic soon as I can figure this imgur thing out. JParanee JParanee

That's going to be another bad ass knife from Sam! Love the lines on this one. The name fits. Can't wait to see this knife progress.
I'm sure we won't have to wait long.

Ok... on to more important things... the dogs!

I was never really fond of this breed, until I was introduced to Max and Lady about 3 months ago. They really changed the way I feel about the Bull Terrier. Both great dogs. You know that I really do miss them both. They couldn't be living with a better family of humans.
I hope that you let them chew on those walrus jawbones!

Just found out my little sister got a Shepherd Husky mix. I am happy for her and all but that mix is bound to have tons of energy and need for work/play. Plus there is the fact that huskies while beautiful I think are one of the worst dogs for a beginner to own. This is due to their tendancy to not come when called and their lack of homing instinct. Couple this with the fact they are bred to pull and you have a dog that has tons of energy that you can't let off the leash that wants to always pull.

Obviously some huskies seem better than others. Some owners are better than others too. I hope she is ready for that dog. (In my mind even german shepherds are not a good beginners dog, unless you have a large property or live out the city)

I will post a pic soon as I can figure this imgur thing out. JParanee JParanee

I had a collie, husky, shepherd mix, and she did much better when I brought her to my parents farm to chase the equipment for 10h/day. Super smart, super loyal, super Protective. Wonderful dog, but she needed to have a job, and catching mice running away from farm equipment did quite nicely. Maybe you can find a farmer or rancher that could use a dog to have a mutually beneficial arrangement?

That's going to be another bad ass knife from Sam! Love the lines on this one. The name fits. Can't wait to see this knife progress.
I'm sure we won't have to wait long.

Ok... on to more important things... the dogs!

I was never really fond of this breed, until I was introduced to Max and Lady about 3 months ago. They really changed the way I feel about the Bull Terrier. Both great dogs. You know that I really do miss them both. They couldn't be living with a better family of humans.
I hope that you let them chew on those walrus jawbones!

They can’t be as scary as grizzlies though, can they?

o_Oo_O

D8407EE5-153C-4703-BD73-26DDCAFAE51C.jpg

Nice doggie - nice doggie :eek:

Looking forward to the WIP Joe :)

Back