Sandblast vs glass last?

I guess I'm all alone as I prefer the sand blast versions. I am a PJ guy and I like all the character the wear brings to the knife.

IMHO the glass blast is much better suited on Inlay versions, annuals, and UG versions, and very few examples of these versions appeal to me. That said, the 2023 annual makes my pants a little tighter every time I see one.

Agreed 100%.

Now I have only seen pictures of glass blasted scales, but I prefer the darker look of the sand blast and the scuffs n snail trails.

I imagine the feel of the glass blast is somewhat the same u get after the sand blast has wore down a bit from handling.

My CF Mnandi has two different textures on the lock bar side. Is your like that?
Don’t get me wrong, the glass blast is amazing in both looks and feel. Its just not the same feel.

I sent a Micarta 21 in for a blast and it came back amazing, I have since sold it and bought it back and sold it again.
I bought a GB 31 Micarta, sold it , bought it back and just sold it again.

I like others are a bit old school I guess and really like that Sebenza feeling we have all come to know and appreacate. The GB is so sleek and sexy and I want to put it in my pocket but….

Now someone offer to GB my carbon fiber Mnandi and we are ON!
IMG_2965.jpegIMG_2964.jpeg

Ok so Ive had the chance to compare the WC Inkosi in both Sand and Glass Blast. It's not even close. The Glass Blasted WC Inkosi is just amazing! I sold several traditional WC Inkosi, Zaans and Sebenzas as I just didn't care for the feel. It felt pieced together somehow. It just didn't have that, I don't know, finished feeling. It was a CRK knife with added milling that to me just didn't match that PJ feel. It was somewhere between inlay and PJ.

This WC with the glass feels like it was designed to be this.

View attachment 2504111

Finally got a GB Zaan. Not sure which I like better yet, but it sho is purdy

RdmUy1n.jpg

I like texture.

While I like glass-blasting, I also love the texture and feel of CRK's original sandblasting.

It's very tempting to keep using CRK's amazing warranty with free forever sandblasting to keep our knives looking new.

Last edited:
For those who like it -- how many of your CRKs have you had glass-blasted?
(3). I’ve sent back a small and large 21 for glass blast and a micarta 25. I got them at a decent price but wanted to spa them and figured I would try glass blast. I still appreciate the sand blast and have several in that finish that I don’t plan on glass blasting. It’s good to have the option. I don’t find the glass blast too slick and it doesn’t tear up my pockets as much, but sand blast is better if your hands are wet.

For those who like it -- how many of your CRKs have you had glass-blasted?
I sent a large 21 PJ in and I enjoy it but I find myself not carrying it as much as my others that are sandblasted. I’ll tell you what, the early 21’s and the regulars and classics have a near perfect sand blast on them. It’s about as close to a medium in between the two as there could be. It’s almost a velvet texture if that makes even a little sense at all. So there you go, enjoy your hunt for those earlier bladed ones! 🤗

I’ll tell you what, the early 21’s and the regulars and classics have a near perfect sand blast on them. It’s about as close to a medium in between the two as there could be. It’s almost a velvet texture if that makes even a little sense at all. So there you go, enjoy your hunt for those earlier bladed ones! 🤗
Didn't know that.
If I send a Regular in for re-sandblasting will it come back looking and feeling the same?

I sent a large 21 PJ in and I enjoy it but I find myself not carrying it as much as my others that are sandblasted. I’ll tell you what, the early 21’s and the regulars and classics have a near perfect sand blast on them. It’s about as close to a medium in between the two as there could be. It’s almost a velvet texture if that makes even a little sense at all. So there you go, enjoy your hunt for those earlier bladed ones! 🤗
Agreed. It probably changed a few times over the years... About the same time they announced the glass blast, the standard blast became "sand blast", and it is just slightly rougher than the old blast. I noticed the change a while back when comparing two large 31s with the normal blast. Here is a pic I shared with the guy I bought one from... The left (1/17/2021 DOB) is noticeably rougher than the right (8/17/2020 DOB). I can't say for certain if this is universally true, but there is bunch of people that seem to agree.

Last edited:
Agreed. It probably changed a few times over the years... About the same time they announced the glass blast, the standard blast became "sand blast", and it is just slightly rougher than the old blast. I noticed the change a while back when comparing two large 31s with the normal blast. Here is a pic I shared with the guy I bought one from... The left (1/17/2021 DOB) is noticeably rougher than the right (8/17/2020 DOB). I can't say for certain if this is universally true, but there is bunch of people that seem to agree.

Love both -- especially the rougher one on left.

The man knows that of which he speaks. The velvet of the early ones is just amazing.

The new are much rougher and unfortunately any you send in for a re-blast come back rough. I just sent in a 08 Sebenza 21 that some idiot scotchbrighted and it came back like a 31 which isn't my fav.

Last edited:
Back