Sandblast vs glass last?

The man knows that of which he speaks. The velvet of the early ones is just amazing.

yep! I love the old velvety blast on my regular.

My current 21 micarta was purchased after someone had it glass blasted. It’s looks nice but I do not love the feel.

I don’t love the current sand blast roughness, but it’s better to me than the glass blast. I would rather have an old blast sebenza not sent to the spa.

What I will say is the new sandblast makes it easy to pick out an older knife that has been sent to the spa versus one that is original.

Generally speaking, in any manufacturing environment, the aggressiveness of a sand blast can vary over time simply due to the wear on the media and the addition of the dust of whatever material is being blasted. Just like how sand paper wears out and gets smoother over time. Same applies to tumbled finishes, etc. So if one sand blasted CRK from 2021 appears smoother than one from 2022, the explanation could simply be newer or older media in the blast cabinet when that particular knife was made. Not necessarily a different process. That said, I have no idea how often CRK changes their media. I’m just speaking in general here.

Generally speaking, in any manufacturing environment, the aggressiveness of a sand blast can vary over time simply due to the wear on the media and the addition of the dust of whatever material is being blasted. Just like how sand paper wears out and gets smoother over time. Same applies to tumbled finishes, etc. So if one sand blasted CRK from 2021 appears smoother than one from 2022, the explanation could simply be newer or older media in the blast cabinet when that particular knife was made. Not necessarily a different process. That said, I have no idea how often CRK changes their media. I’m just speaking in general here.
I know what you describe is correct in general, but probably doesn’t match what we have seen with CRK. The blast was smoother for decades until the last few years, then changed noticeably. i think they use a different media starting sometime around 2020/2021.

I know what you describe is correct in general, but probably doesn’t match what we have seen with CRK. The blast was smoother for decades until the last few years, then changed noticeably. i think they use a different media starting sometime around 2020/2021.
Yes and Tim has even mentioned in interviews that the new media is more aggressive. Which was part of the reason the introduced glass blasting.

0. I've bought 2 pre GBd and am considering sending an Inkosi and 21 in for it because of this guy:

IG0dnV8.jpg

That picture makes me seriously consider a trip half across the world for my 31, with all the costs, risks and waiting.

the standard blast became "sand blast", and it is just slightly rougher than the old blast

What was the old blast then?

I have bought 2 new 21s, cant remember them to have an "velvety" blast on them when they came new. Only resaon they are more soft-like I believe is from A LOT of handling thru the years.

Then again I havnt had a factory fresh 21 n a 31 side by side.

I have bought 2 new 21s, cant remember them to have an "velvety" blast on them when they came new. Only resaon they are more soft-like I believe is from A LOT of handling thru the years.

I was referring to the transition 21’s from like 09-10’ when they moved from the classic. The regular and classic also have the velvet feel we are referring to. I can’t speak to older than those because the small P I had in my possession was re-blasted.

As Ben stated. The velvety we re referring to was the 2010 and earlier knives. The 21s from 2010- the end of the Sebenza 21 line featured a much less aggressive finish than the 31s. This is due to a change in media type being used which was confirmed by Tim.

Back