• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Save the Burl Guy - I'm a wood junky and I need your help!

Hi,
My name is Mark and I'm a wood junky.
I am powerless over my addiction to burl and other unusual woods.

Things started out rather innocent with cutting maple and redwood burl for a few knife makers. It didn't take long before my peer group talked me into trying stabilized woods. In the beginning I did my own stabilizing but the hard core guys talked me into getting the wood stabilized by K&G instead. After just the first batch, I was hooked.

Next thing you know my fellow wood junky friends talked me into trying the really hard core stuff. You know, Koa, Amboyna, Ironwood burl, even some of the Australian stuff.

I have to admit that I can't say no to cool and unusual woods.
I even became a dealer just so I could support my habit.
My boss is what you might call an enabler.
He has a big wood yard here and lets me cut up anything I want (except the furniture). He even gave me a Platinum card to use so I wouldn't keep asking him for money to pay for stabilizing or when I found other wood that I just had to have.

To make a long story even longer, I need your help.
I just got a gazillion blocks of the really hardcore stuff back from K&G. I paid with my card and the bill will come in the mail at the beginning of the month. It's gonna be a big one because there is still more wood coming from stabilizing. Plus, I paid for a lot of really high grade Koa that is on it's way as well. Trust me, that stuff doesn't come cheap.

I need to get rid of this stuff before my boss figures out what I have done.
It's not like I can just sell it to normal people. Just look at the photos. This stuff is weird. I figured my best chance was to sell it to a bunch of other wood junkies who need the really hardcore stuff.

s001.jpg

s002.jpg

s003.jpg

s004.jpg

s005.jpg

Saturday morning I will be posting these stabilized blocks for sale here on the forum.
If you think you might be able to help me out make a post in this thread. No obligation, just that you will come back and take a look Saturday or Sunday. Everyone who makes a post in this thread can have a 10% discount off the price of these hardcore blocks.

I am giving you guys first shot at the new stuff. Plus they will be priced lower than they will sell for in the webstore. The sale thread will only be open for 2 days (Saturday & Sunday). After that I will be closing the threads and moving any remaining pieces to my webstore.

If I am a little slow answering any PMs or emails it is because I am measuring, pricing and photographing all these blocks.

So what do you say, ....can you help a brother out?

I'll be back on Saturday. What time?

I should have the 1st thread posted around 9am PST.
I will try to have everything ready ahead of time so everything can be posted quickly.

I forgot to mention in the prior post, most of these are cut oversized.

I will be back saturday. some real nice looking stuff in there.

Good shtick. I'll check Saturday to see if it's hyperbole or opportunity.

You spelled stick wrong. It is s-t-i-c-k.
.....and what's a hyper bole?
Is that one of those big round bumps on the old growth fir trees?
I think I saw one of those one time out by you near the Dungeness fish hatchery. It was along the trail past the spillway just above the hatchery.

Just teasing. It has been a long couple of days and I think I am a little bit :yawn:
There will be some good deals.
This stuff is not cheap, but you will get more than what you pay for.
Plus free shipping and a No questions asked money back guarantee.

I like the look of a few of those a lot but I'm not what I would consider the average person to buy blocks of wood. I see on your website that there is no charge to cut them into scales, would I be able to get them chopped down to size to be able to put scales on a knife that I have yet to purchase (say.. a mule team) if I bought them in this situation. Obviously I would be in no rush to get them since I don't even have the knife or a sure idea on what I want but I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth me looking.

Also, do you think a regular idiot like me would be able to put new scales on a knife? Is it as simple as taking apart and reattaching folder scales?

Even if the answers to all these questions are no and my only option is just getting a block of wood I'll probably still be looking at the thread, just to see if there's anything I like enough for the right price that I might try and commission into a custom at some point in the future.

I like the look of a few of those a lot but I'm not what I would consider the average person to buy blocks of wood. I see on your website that there is no charge to cut them into scales, would I be able to get them chopped down to size to be able to put scales on a knife that I have yet to purchase (say.. a mule team) if I bought them in this situation. Obviously I would be in no rush to get them since I don't even have the knife or a sure idea on what I want but I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth me looking.

Also, do you think a regular idiot like me would be able to put new scales on a knife? Is it as simple as taking apart and reattaching folder scales?

Even if the answers to all these questions are no and my only option is just getting a block of wood I'll probably still be looking at the thread, just to see if there's anything I like enough for the right price that I might try and commission into a custom at some point in the future.

I am always happy to cut scales from a block at no charge. It is a lot easier for me to do it with the tools I have than what most people have in their shop.
As for how to do the scales, Shaughnessy did a really good thread taking you through the whole process step by step.
This link should take you to his thread.

I get quite a few people buy pieces to have used for knives they are having made as well. Some of the makers just send their customers to my website to pick out handle material too.

If you get anything from the sale I think you will really like it. Some of the wood is just fun to look at.
If you don't like what you get, everything comes with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

I have to warn you though........this stuff is highly addictive.
Even my wife is hooked. I have to be careful what I take home to show my wife. Often as not she ends up trying to keep it.

I'll be checking in, need another over sized block for a handgun.
Knives aren't the only thing that needs pretty wood.

Leadfoot

Hello, my name is Rich, and I'm a wood addict too....
I'll be here on Saturday for sure.

Back