Scagel Tributes!!

Here's another one of Dave Shirley's replica Scagels.
I found a pic of the original on the web and the replica seems close enough.

IMGP4956.JPG

KSF sold these without a sheath and I had to make one. It's more for edgeprotection as I don't carry this one in the belt.

Regards
Mikael

This is one of my fav by Ray Rirk

GSNScmI.jpg

AfuuN4y.jpg

Beautiful photo. Is that an Ithaca shotgun? Looks brand new!

Yep, an Ithaca model 37 in 16ga and you’re right, it sure is in great condition for being made in 1967. I searched for a while to find one this clean at a decent price. Found out after buying it that it was actually made the same year as my dad’s which was quite a surprise. I paid a lot more for mine though lol. Thank you for the comment Bill :thumbsup:

Here is one more photo thought was worth sharing of a couple in the early stages of completion.....the small one is for a member on here and the other one is one I have been working on a hour or so here and there for the past three weeks and is closer to completion just need to finishes pinning its pin stain and polishing its guard and make its sheath and so far so good ~ yesterday I slotted all the spacers and glued up the handles on the smaller one and it still need its handle drilled and pinned and shaped and so on it should turn out to be a beautiful knife ~ "J" View attachment 1295461
Very nice! Beautiful is right! Thanks for posting!
A little off topic but, we went to see the Call of the Wild movie Sunday. Really enjoyable.
It was nice to see a sheath knife, with a stag antler crown handle on the belt of Francois, the French Canadian mail driver. Nice touch.

Yep, an Ithaca model 37 in 16ga and you’re right, it sure is in great condition for being made in 1967. I searched for a while to find one this clean at a decent price. Found out after buying it that it was actually made the same year as my dad’s which was quite a surprise. I paid a lot more for mine though lol. Thank you for the comment Bill :thumbsup:
I had a sweet 16 Ithaca and I'm sorry I ever sold it. What a great shotgun.

fi8Ru5d.jpg

Last edited:
Most of those "repops" were ground quite thick, like Scagel's blades, but that's a beautiful, useful knife, John!! Is there a year on it anywhere?

Most of those "repops" were ground quite thick, like Scagel's blades, but that's a beautiful, useful knife, John!! Is there a year on it anywhere?

Scagel#17 fishing 003.jpg

The #17 came extremely thick and a lot of thinning was necessary before it started to cut.
It's too big for EDC, but a great alternative to a Buck 112.

Regards
Mikael

Charlie, I edited my post with a link to the KSF page which does not have any definitive information, there is a 95 in the heading but I think that may be a pattern number. I don't think these were part of the numbered ones that came in a white plastic box, these came in a heavy duty Scagel pocket slip. I was told that they may have been made around 2009 but I can't confirm that. There is no year on the knife and the only tang stamps are the double dagger Scagel stamp.

Thanks John, for the page and explanation!
Nice knife, Mikael W Mikael W !! I agree about the grind!!
I had a bunch of the plastic-box Scagel repops, after Queen started making them! Mostly gone now to good homes!!

Great thread Waynorth!

Scagle reproductions and Sagle style customs are one of my fagorites! For some reason, I own none!!

Following this thread!

A couple of Dave Shirley Scagels and Northwoods.
20200317_093552.jpg
I found the following information on fixed blade Scagels some time ago.
This was the first straight blade made by Northwoods Knives (Dave Shirley) back in 2004. 175 piece run/1095 steel/whitetail deer brass, fiber & leather washers
•The blade of the knife is made of 1095 High Carbon Steel.
•The knife has a german silver guard, with stacked leather handle featuring brass, copper, and fiber spacers
•The pommel of the knife is a stag antler crown that is held in place by a brass pin.
•A brown leather sheath with retaining strap accompanies this knife
•Blade Length - 4 ¼"
•Overall Length - 8 ½"
•Blade Markings - Front: Scagel Kris, Scagel, Scagel Kris
•Blade Markings - Back: Northwoods - Gladstone, Mich - USA - 2004
•Sheath Markings - Scagel Kris on retaining strap

Back