Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series

Smebbin, the spear bladed jack in my picture is rosewood. It's a lot darker than I expected, almost as dark as the ebony on GEC dogleg. I'll try to get some better pictures later today.

A couple comparision shots and a look at the smaller bone handled 2 blade

2 blade with S&M canoe
IMGP7049.jpg

2 blade bone handle jack with ebony single blade
IMGP7054.jpg

bone handle 2 blade jack
IMGP7050.jpg

single blade jack with GEC 72 spear point
IMGP7052.jpg

Both new S&M knives have good fit and finish, but are lacking in the sharp department. All 3 blades have some serious burrs on the right side. Blades are centered, grinds good, minimal underblading, and no play in the blades.
Springs are a bit weak all around. The single blade is light through the first half and a seems a bit heavier once it gets past the half stop. Closing is the reverse, light but ok until it hits the half stop, and real light after that with a small bit of snap.
The 2 blade is the same but the smaller blade is real weak, little snap on closing. Both blades have a rough feel throughout the range of movement.
Blade finish is a bit rough on both knives, not highly polished but what looks like an uneven glaze finish.
Overall, they are what you would expect from a knife in the $60-70 range. No more, no less.

Got this Ebony Jack knife while I was at BLADE... Nice fit and finish, excellent
walk and talk, Not a bad edge on it either... All and all a very nice production
slip joint.... Happy to have it.

Jason

Attachments

• BLADE 041.jpg
    BLADE 041.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 106
  • BLADE 043.jpg
    BLADE 043.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 142
  • BLADE 046.jpg
    BLADE 046.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 108
It would seem that Arathol has evaluated my knives as his review/description above is pretty much exactly the way my knives are. I have a the single blade spear point and the two blade jack as well and I like the knives, but I have to say I was expecting just a bit more quality. They are not bad knives, just not quite as good as I was hoping for (this based on the other Schatt and Morgan knives I have).

Ed J

My single blade ebony jack arrived this week. I agree with the feedback above. Overall quality is not bad and pretty much in line with typical Queen these days. Certainly not up to GEC benchmarks but still good for a user. On my knife the blade is off center but not bad enough to rub or cause opening issues. Pull is about a 4. Not real strong but will still have a nice snap once I clean all the crap out. Blade has a bad burr but I don't really worry about out of box sharpness because NO production knife meets the expectation as to how sharp I make my knives that I carry daily. Not sure about the overll grind yet which is more of a concern. That determines if I have to do a reprofile or not. The ebony scales look real nice and fit well also. Very minor back spring gap but better than my last two Queens. No blade wobble which would be a killer so that is a good thing. I have a Case/Bose collab knife in for repair for wobble so Schatt & Morgan at least get marks for the no-wobble.

Overall this is going to be a nice user knife and a very good pattern. They are one of the few companies that has really nailed the spear point blade style.

I too received a single blade 1213 a few days ago and my experience mirrors many of the previous posts. I don't have near the knife experience of most of the posters on this forum so I have limited basis for my opinion. In a word I was disappointed in this knife; that doesn't mean that it's bad or poor quality, just that I had high hopes and expectations for this knife and it just didn't live up to them. Like tomsch I'd rank the pull about a 4. The blade is slightly off center and came pretty dull. The only fit / finish issue that I have with the knife is around the shield. There are visible gaps and one end is raised slightly above the wood. On a positive note, it's my largest traditional to date and feels great in my hand. It's definitely no safe queen and had been in my pocket every day since I received it.

Allen

Thanks for these reviews guys. The fair & knowledgeable assessment that our fellow forumites give is a very important part of our BF experience.
I'm going to hold off on getting any of these new Heritage knives because i was hoping for better fit & finish. The idea behind these knives is great, but it's a shame that Queen didn't follow through with top notch execution of these fine old patterns.
I cannot understand why, because a top quality knife, even if this added 20% or more to the price, would have been a huge hit, but instead it's just another hit or miss Queen folder.
roland

Since my single blade ebony jack arrived it has been riding around in my pocket. I cleaned it up and put in a drop of CLP. After using it for a few days it is turning out to be very smooth. Even with the somewhat light pull it snaps open and closed nicely. Blade profile is >20 degrees so it is time to break out the Edge Pro and reprofile. Overall I'm really liking this this knife as a user. It really does ride well in the pocket and is a perfect shape.

Last edited:
I just received the 1213 (single blade ebony), mine is pretty nice. Blade is perfectly centered, smooth to open, and reasonably sharp. A nice pattern.

Last edited:
I just recieved the single clip blade in ebony 1214
Excellent quality with a very good F&F
Good even factory grind, blade centered
Easy to pinch open
The half stops are crisp but not too strong
Nice sounding walk and talk
The back spring is a tiny tiny bit proud when open
The ebony is a true black as we saw in our Forum knife (not grained brown in my GEC ebony)

(my pet peeve)
The blade is foward slightly, and if I turn this into a user I will file it down a bit and then the blade will be inline with the spring and the spring will be flush

Queen did well on this knife

Last edited:
Finally was able to get the spear and jack in my hands after a long wait. Must say that I am a bit disappointed. The spear blade is severely off-centered, if it was slight I'd be okay with it however it's well pronounced. I'll use both of these puppies and put them to good use.

If this is how future ones will be made, I'll just pass unless I can buy them in person.

On the way to a wedding on the eastern shore, literally an hour or two before the wedding, I had to make a stop at the only knife shop on the Eastern Shore. I was hoping to pick up a modern one hand opener and a sheath for my ESEE machete, but ended up taking home two of the SM Heritage series knives. The one blade jack with the matchstriker pull with rosewood scales, and the two blade jack with bone scales.

Both were surprisingly sharp, well, surprising for Queen, but I have gotten some really nice sharp blades that came out of their factories, lately. I thought the springs could have been better, but they are great. I don't get it, I complain about my GEC nailbreakers, but these Schatt and Morgans aren't strong enough. They still have pretty good walk and talk. The main blade on the two blade jack isn't as good as the small pen blade. Overall, I was very satisfied with my purchase, and had a great time.

Didn't get to find out what the salty sea air would do to the blades (1095).

Hello !

I just finished reading thru some older AGR catalogs and re-noticed and knife I had forgot about Schatt & Morgan Heritage series. I'm suprised I forgot these knives actually because this is exactly what I am looking for in a single bladed , carbon steel , pocket friendly Slipjoint ! I must procure one of the spearpoints ASAP.

My question is , after owning it for a while now and hopefully using it , how is it living up to your expectations ? I find the price to be in my ballpark. I would like an Ebony but the Rosewood Spearpoint is what I'm mostly after. I'm curious as to how they are holding up ? Does the 1095 meet your expectations ?

This design to me is the perfect Slipjoint... :)

Thanks for your answers , if any :)

Tostig

Had my single blade ebony for a while now. My opinion hasn't changed. I like it, but the swedges need attention. F&F wise it hits what I expect of a knife this price.

It exactly what I expected. Neither over impressive nor disappointing :)

I'll probably be buying a jack sometime soon. Got a thing about 3 1/2" jacks at the moment :)

I have the following models, and notice several things after carrying them off and on.

SM4520.jpg

Really like the looks of this knife. Better than some Queen edges I've gotten in the past, have been stropping it, needs a good edge. The main blade has some wobble when at the half stop position. Not a lot of snap, but it does follow through. The secondary pen blade works great. I foresee having to send it in to Queen. I am trying to carry it in addition to my Queen Burke barlow.

SM4521.jpg

Great knife, I have really grown fascinated by this pattern. Better edge than the two blade jack, better snap/walk and talk. Again, trying to carry this one too.

I've been eying these and watching reviews since this topic started. Well, I finally bought one, model 1215, the single blade spearpoint with rosewood. My review, it's really nice. Blade isn't too stiff - softer than average when near the closed position, but it snaps confidently into the half-stop and open positions. There are no gaps anywhere, absolutely no blade wobble, and the blade is perfectly centered. The only thing I would say that keeps it from being on par with more expensive knives, one handle scale isn't quite as wide as the liner so there's a small jagged 'lip'.

As far as price/quality ratio, I bought this on sale for only $65 so I am very happy overall.

What I cannot decide, whether to buy a second identical knife to carry, or order a different variation and put them both in the collection. :D

Back