Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series

Good evening everybody,

I got the single blade (Clip) version of this knife in Ebony today from the For sale thread. Overall, I'm delighted with the knife - I had been fearing major build issues as Queens have given me problems before. Not this one though, it's very good as far as I can see.

Remarks: Like most Swell End or Teardrop pattern knives, this feels extremely comfortable in the hand. The Ebony is very proper in its radiusing, fitting to the bolster and liners. The shield is inlet superbly, no raised edges or gaps. Gaps on the liners are very slight and only visible under strong light. Blade totally in the centre and no blade-play either. Spring well flush shut and open. Half stop on this knife (would be better without one) Excellent W&T quite a mild pull. Longpull is sort of tapering out to the swedge.

Criticisms: Blade is rather thick but it's usefully broad. Same thickness and stock as the Forum 2010 knife from Queen. It's also quite short relative to handle length, the Spear version is, unsurprisingly, longer yet narrower. However, this is a good blade and will work well. Sharpness nothing to write home about, but it is a Queen. Carbon means it will sharpen up with few problems, I imagine. Tang ends VERY sharp, this can be a pocket-ripper so filing is needed soon.

Overall. Handsome carry. Very pleased, this will be a worker and it feels most pleasant in the hand. Looks good too. Despite having a thick blade and being 3.75"/9.5cm this is not a heavy knife. Is this the wood scales or the Norway iron? Whatever, it's no house brick in the pocket, thankfully. I'm now very excited by the forthcoming 2012 Heritage Series Woodsman knife. Any further info on these yet?

Regards, Will

Haven't heard much about these S&M Heritage knives in awhile. Are any of you guys carrying them regularly? I'd love to see some pics.

-- Mark

I have a single blade spear point with ebony that I carry on and off. The pull is perfect and can be pinched open while still having a nice snap. The edge was obtuse at >20 degrees per side but I fixed that with a reprofile. Very nice vintage looking slipjoint that is very usable.

Another nice aspect of this knife is that it looks old already! Patina coming along very well indeed and scales polished up with wax. With certain changes this could've been an outstanding knife. If Queen had made it with a thinner spring and thinner blade but correspondingly thicker scales it would trump most, desirable knife nevertheless.

Back