Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series

The pen blade in this picture:

5729711398_4e44382930.jpg

looks significantly different than the pen blade in this picture (this one almost looks like a little clip blade to me):

SMHeritage2011.gif

Really liking that 1215!

Those look nice indeed. I have followed this thread to see them in real pictures. I find them expensive to import here so As long as its just ordinary pocketknifes I just look but if they some time reproduse a scout/camping knife I cant be held back. Agood carbon scout with a bail has been in my dreams for years now.

Bosse

follow up on charlie's comment---many of the older catalogs called it stag bone. i believe this was perhaps the jigging was referring to real stag texture.----dennis

Continuing the review of the 3 5/8" in bone

I sharpened the main blade on my DMT Aligner jig from E Course all the way to EE Fine and hand sharpened the little pen
Then stropped them
So big deal, I have a sharp knife!

I just spent the morning in the woods mucking around
I whittled fout tent pegs out of 1 1/2" pine
I used the knife to cut them
It cut and cut and stayed as sharp to the end
Way better than many a knife I have
I cut a couple of pegs with a Mora carbon, and held its own against the Mora
Queen has got a great steel

The rounded end and the double spring thickness means it sits comfortably in my hand, just enough for a four finger grip
So my hand did not tire

I am impressed
A great and confortable user

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Neeman. Sounds encouraging, that the knife has decent user characteristics.
Sharpening well, and holding an edge are paramount ones.
Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Has anyone received the 1213/1215 knives? I'm itching to see one. Hopefully my two Heritage knves will get here soon. - Ed J

I
It would be interesting to see them do the Harness Jack page!! Here's one from 1911. It's page 21 in that catalog.
schattcatalog1911p21-1.jpg

If they reproduce the No. 3309, I'd buy at least 3 of those.

These came in today. They feel real good in hand. On the jack, the main spear is about a 6 and very crisp to the half stop, slightly less so to full open. The pen unfortunately is about a 3. I guess its better than being a nail breaker. The spear on the single blade jack is about a 5. They weren't too sharp out of the box but that's not really a problem. All the blades are centered and the edges had even grinds. Only real issue is there were some gaps in the back springs that I've found typical of Queen (at least the ones I seem to get).

Minor F&F issues aside, these knives beg to be dropped in your pocket and used :thumbup:

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Nice! I have a ebony single blade waiting in the mailbox for when I get home tonight. I'll take pictures and do a quick review.
- Tom

I recieved my knives today and neither is perfect, but both are okay. The springs on the two blade jack are quite soft in the closed position, but okay in the open position. Even though soft in closed position, this makes it nail friendly for opening.

The big jack is fine as is, no significant issues with it. I like it better of the two. Both are in ebony; my first ebony scaled knives. I like it quite a lot. Photos tomorrow if I have time to take them. - Ed

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday. I'm very pleased with them. The fit isn't as good as a GEC, but I imagine it's very close to what would have been seen on the original knives of which these are reproductions. The grinds are fairly even, much better than what came on my 2010 forum knife, and they are decently sharp, but will definitely have a session with the sharpening stones before they go in my pocket.
Here's a pic of them alongside my GEC #56 and last year's forum knife:
P1010004.jpg

I do have a couple questions. First off, with the exception of an Imperial advertising jack, these are the only knives I've ever owned with half stops. On the Imperial the springs are flush or ever so slightly proud at the half stop position, but on these the springs are sunk quite a bit below the liners. Is this normal on knives with half stops?
P1010008.jpg

Secondly, as can be seen in 2Dead's vastly superior pictures, the tang stamp on the 1215 model is different from the stamp on the 1213 and 1193. In the promotional image they all had the same stamp, but I notice now that the old catalog shows the 1215 with what seems to be the stamp that was used. A goof on the part of the photo-chopper who made up the ad, perhaps? In any case, I wondered if someone here might know the history behind the two tang stamps?

Back