Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Here is another SFO Scrimshaw on which I lack much information at all. The etch, "Ride Free Forever" is the copyrighted title to a Harley Davidson motorcycle collector's guide published in 1998. But who had them made, exactly when and the quantity eludes me. So far I have only found a mention of the issue in this forum a decade or so ago with no added information.

Last edited:
This is a three piece cased set for U.S. Tobacco, one of four variants produced to promote their outdoor sports programs. This one, UST95BR, is etched, "Bandit Racing". Others were "Outdoors" (UST95CSO), "Pulling Circuit" (UST95PC) and Pro Rodeo" (UST95PR). Each of the knives wore birdseye maple handles, brass bolsters, pins and coined cutler shields. Of the four variants combined there were 944 sets produced so today full unbroken sets are seldom seen.

My "Outdoors" Sharpfinger came from a broken set.
Skoal-Outdoors.jpg

Last edited:
A recent find SFO SGS-1 Gift set for Whitetails Unlimited's 15th Anniversary in 1997. It was a WTU event enhancement raffle set. I don't know yet how many sets were produced.

Interestingly, I note that the included "34OT" pattern has the defective tangstamp which appears to say, "84OT".

Last edited:
1994-1995 Whitetails Unlimited also ordered an SGS-9 Uncle Henry version of the set without a date but etched, (large logo) "Whitetails Unlimited 1994-95 Trophy Series" on the blade. 300 sets ordered. This one appears to also be from a SGS-9 set but with more plain text etch and smaller logo that the '94-'95 issue I had record of above.

Last edited:
Here is a commemorative Sharpfinger seldom seen these days. A 2004 100th anniversary issue whose production was interrupted by the July bankruptcy. It is unknown how many were produced and sold before the receivership ordered a halt to shipping, or how many were completed in stock in the October auction of inventory. It is the 152OTS signifying the addition of a coined anniversary shield to the handle already bearing the standard OT shield, thus making it a part of the "DS" commemorative program (Dual Shield). A few slipjoint pattern were likewise included in the program but I forget which ones.

Last edited:
Here is a special factory order Sharpfinger which appears occasionally. Made for a SGS-1 gift set for Bass Pro Shops in August, 2001. Here is the new product order sheet as transcribed by lrv back in 2018 in response to a member inquiry:

SFO for the Bass Pro Gift set

NEW ITEM LISTING REVISION
CATALOG #:SGS1BP PRODUCT FAMILY: Gift Set
DESCRIPTION:
CONTENTS:New H152 Knife H834 Bulk (S0905450)
PACKAGING:
OUANTITY: 500
Distribution:
DATE: 6/6/01
Bass Pro has accepted a New Gift Set consisting of our existing H834 knife with ss
blades that will have an existing "Bass Pro Shops" logo blade etch on the clip
blade and existing "Bass Pro "shield. The other knife will be our 152 knife with
Burgundy Delrin Saw Cut handles with New Bass Pro shield. 152 Must have
Heritage tang stamp & Stainless Steel blade. Blade should be etched with
existing "Bass Pro Shops" blade etch. We will pack both knives in our existing
SGSI black box wi "Bass Pro Shops' screened on lid. New vac tray must have
existing Schrade Cutlery Mylar logo on it.

Shield # 12593 (for H834)
New Shield # (for H152) Made in House
7020124 - SGS1 Gift Box- Needs part number for screening Bass Pro Shops
7180711 - Warranty
7070019 - Sleeve

Shipped 8/1/01

private image hosting
Heritage Bass Pro Gift Set h.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a seldom seen Sharpfinger. A Special Factory order with only their custom text blade etch, "Made Expressly For Hoffritz". Hoffritz was more frequently a customer of kitchen cutlery of Imperial Schrade.
I passed on this example based on it's weak etch on the used, carbon spotted blade. I'll wait for one in better condition.

Having been produced over 31 years (1973 - 2004) and then bought/sold/traded/used for a further 18 years (2004 - 2022), it is little wonder that they continue to be available on the secondary market in great variety.

Over three million knives produced and owned by a wide variety of users and collectors for nearly fifty years. This not counting the notable but brief production by other cutleries such as Camillus (GP152 Gran'Pa) and United Cutlery, Bear & Son (Bear MGC), all of whom made excellent versions based on the recently discontinued Schrade Sharpfinger. And of course, the cheap offshore copies of dubious materials which appropriated show up at flea markets for a few dollars, often with "Christmas tree" laminated wood. handles and stainless steel that rust even as you watch.

Add in a quantity of custom and semi-custom knives Made from recovered used and unassembled production knives by both accomplished makers and by casual mechanics to increase the confusion as to what Imperial Schrade actually produced. Of course also the soul-authorship of some great custom makers based upon the original pattern.

152GA sfo for Peterson Publishing as a subscription bonus For their Guns & Ammo magazine.. Begun in 1975 and ended in August 1977, one of the very first SFOs of the pattern and quite successful. This one is from the second (1982 - 1983) production still in it's dated mailer to the subscriber, March 1984. Notable because at least a portion of this second promotion uses a stock production tangstamp, "SCHRADE" over "U.S.A. 152" rather than the SFO stamp of "SCHRADE" over "U.S.A".

There were far more of these produced than one might guess! End of year production reports show 1975 - 152GA 9,215, 1976 - 152GA 14,250, 1977 - 152GA 6,000 totaling 29,465 pieces. Further, EOY production shows a second production in 1983 - 152GA 32,931, 1984 - 152GA 2,500 totaling 35431 pieces shipped. 64896 pieces total for both productions. So not rare by any metric.

This is the circa 1977 issue also new in it's shipping mailer to a subscriber.

Last edited:
In 1994, the National Rifle Association ordered 1,500 special Sharpfingers in black presentation boxes. They had smooth black handles with coined antiqued shields, special tang stamps and "1994 Special Edition" blade etches. What makes this one special is it's provenance. It came with COA from the collection of NRA alumni Neal Knox who was NRA VP in 1994-95.

You've got quite a collection there Codger. Really impressive.
Thanks! Hopefully by my show-and-tell other collectors will be able to better identify the knives they own or want to own. New ones of this pattern appear nearly constantly, as you can see.

In 1997, Schrade produced a limited edition five piece set (SC5LTDJD) for John Deere farm equipment celebrating their 160th anniversary. This is a Sharpfinger from a set. I don't have the five piece set, just the Sharpfinger from a broken up set. I don't know yet how many sets were produced.

ETA: From a 2007 post here, 1,000 of the five piece sets made.

Last edited:
I just found a factory fresh Sharpfinger sheath that is very scarce in this condition. It is the very first design, ca 1973-74. It has white stitching and a pointed retainer strap tab. Usually these have handling or shelf wear even if unused. And the pointed tab end curls and frays. This one is appropriate for the very earliest production and came in a deluxe slip-top box as mentioned in first ad art.

Last edited:
Here is "another one not quite like the other one". A 502SC Scrimshaw for the Minnesota state Ducks Unlimited chapter.

There is no indication of date or quantity on this one. However there is on a previously acquired "twin" made for DU Missouri.

The Iowa state issue of 1988 used a different artwork.

Last edited:
While special editions, both Schrade and SFO are very attractive particularly with artwork and special packaging, the SFOs with only a simple logo or text blade etch added to basic production knives seem to be much more prolific. The challenge these days is to find examples with unspoiled etches in unused condition. Of the two Which I spotted this week, both I passed on for these reasons.

Also most seem to be found without original packaging. Not really expected at this pricepoint, but it does create conditions for the increased occurrence of post-production damage noted.

The first of the two I spotted was a stock 152OT with a line text etch identifying the merchant, "Made Expressly For Hoffritz". Unfortunately this one had a spoiled etch that appeared to be a factory reject with portions of letters missing. Having seen the same etch on other patterns much better application, I know they were process capable.

The customer, Hoffritz, is an interesting study. A legacy brick and mortar merchant in New York City then grew beyond it's means under successive owners.

Last edited:
This is a three piece cased set for U.S. Tobacco, one of four variants produced to promote their outdoor sports programs. This one, UST95BR, is etched, "Bandit Racing". Others were "Outdoors" (UST95CSO), "Pulling Circuit" (UST95PC) and Pro Rodeo" (UST95PR). Each of the knives wore birdseye maple handles, brass bolsters, pins and coined cutler shields. Of the four variants combined there were 944 sets produced so today full unbroken sets are seldom seen.

UST95BR.jpg

My "Outdoors" Sharpfinger came from a broken set.
Back to these U.S. Tobacco sets, While I already had the UST95BR, "Bandit Racing" complete set, I recently found an orphaned copy of that issue.

I still need the UST95PR "Pro Rodeo" issue.

Last edited:
Back