Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Ralph Hubert "Sonny" Barger, founder of Hell's Angels MC has been one of the most vocal user/supporter of the Sharpfinger knife. He passed away today at age 83.

In an interview with Harper/Collins regarding his book "Dead in 5 Heartbeats", Barger commented on the Sharpfinger knife: "A lot of people I ride with carry that knife. I actually prefer fixed blades — like the Sharpfinger — to a folded blade. Although I carry a folded blade too, with a fixed blade you don't have to reach inside your pocket. It's always handy, on your belt when you need it. I use my Sharpfinger as a tool. I do everything with it. I like knives with sharp points. You never know when you might want to pop a balloon or peel a banana."

For 1997, a new four piece set of limited edition scrimshaws was introduced, "Endangered Species Collector's Set" (SC97MLTD) limited to 1,000 sets serialized in an inletted hinge topped white oak presentation case. These were unique in that the handles were ivory micarta and the artwork was lasered, not hot stamped. The 502MSC97 featured the art of gray wolves. The other patterns portrayed the Florida Panther, Chinook Salmon and Peregrine Falcon. The stainless blades were etched with scroll panel and text, "SCHRADE L.T.D.". Later in April of 1999, SMKW sold the remainders unetched and not lasered. With a MSRP of $479.00, it is doubtful that the full 1,000 unit limit was produced and sold.

In 1996 It was decided to try a different way to market the Scrimshaw sets. Instead of the wooden box sets previous, they tried an inletted lasered oak box and new theme, "Wildlife for Tomorrow". This four knife set featured a 502SC with an unsigned standing whitetail deer image. Marketed exclusively through Walmart and limited to 2,000 serialized sets, these were sold as a fundraiser for "Wildlife Conservation Projects Of Walmart", "Wildlife Forever", "Wildlife Management Institute", "North American Hunting Club" and "National Shooting Sports Foundation". Serial numbers were "WFT0001" etc.

Another Sharpfinger Scrimshaw not frequently seen after all these years. In 1994 SMKW ordered 1,200 five-piece " Endangered Species" sets according to records. 1994SC94ES ENDANGERED SPECIES 5-knife 1994:
507SC EAGLE
296SC ELEPHANT
505SC TIGER
503SC PANDA
502SC GRIZZLY
I have not yet found photos of the set or confirmed the other pattern issues. But here is the 502SC which I think is from the set signed M. Barbour.

Last edited:
Another Sharpfinger Scrimshaw not frequently seen after all these years. In 1994 SMKW ordered 1,200 five-piece " Endangered Species" sets according to records. 1994SC94ES ENDANGERED SPECIES 5-knife 1994:
507SC EAGLE
296SC ELEPHANT
505SC TIGER
503SC PANDA
502SC GRIZZLY
I have not yet found photos of the set or confirmed the other pattern issues. But here is the 502SC which I think is from the set signed M. Barbour.

Looks like you have a nice collection .Enjoyed seeing them

Some time back I posted a SFO Sharpfinger made in 1993 to commemorate the 53rd annual biker rally in Sturgis, SD. The white Delrin handled knife had “Limited Edition” on the mark side handle, a logo and text blade etch, “1993 Sturgis Motorcycle Classic”. It used the standard 502SC tangstamp.

According to the accompanying brochure (certificate of authenticity) there were to be 250 pieces made. The customer was “D & M of Dallas”. This one is serialized 137/250.

[/url
]

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Also in 1993, D & M ordered commemorative Sharpfingers for the 52nd anniversary of Daytona Bike Week, held in and around Daytona Beach Florida.

The white Delrin handled knife had “Limited Edition” on the pile side handle, a banner logo and text blade etch, “52nd Annual 1993”, ”Daytona Bike Week U.S.A.”. It used the standard SC502 tangstamp on the mark side. The mark side handle was left blank.

According to the accompanying brochure (certificate of authenticity) there were to be 100 pieces made. This one is serialized 067/100.

[/url
]

[url=https://postimages.org/]

This is a three piece cased set for U.S. Tobacco, one of four variants produced to promote their outdoor sports programs. This one, UST95BR, is etched, "Bandit Racing". Others were "Outdoors" (UST95CSO), "Pulling Circuit" (UST95PC) and Pro Rodeo" (UST95PR). Each of the knives wore birdseye maple handles, brass bolsters, pins and coined cutler shields. Of the four variants combined there were 944 sets produced so today full unbroken sets are seldom seen.

My "Outdoors" Sharpfinger came from a broken set.
Skoal-Outdoors.jpg
Was there a total of 944 for all sets combined or 944 on each set? How much would an unbroken boxed set like this be worth today?

Was there a total of 944 for all sets combined or 944 on each set? How much would an unbroken boxed set like this be worth today?
The four sets were produced in different quantities with 944 being the total of all four sets made.

They rarely come up for public sale unbroken so it isn't possible for me to give an accurate current retail market value.

Do you have a set that you care to show us? Note this isn't a buy/sell subforum, but we do have an exchange forum where you can list it.

The four sets were produced in different quantities with 944 being the total of all four sets made.

They rarely come up for public sale unbroken so it isn't possible for me to give an accurate current retail market value.

Do you have a set that you care to show us? Note this isn't a buy/sell subforum, but we do have an exchange forum where you can list it.
I picked up a 3-piece boxed set of the "Pulling Circuit" series this evening but don't know how to post the pic. :(

I picked up a 3-piece boxed set of the "Pulling Circuit" series this evening but don't know how to post the pic. :(
There were only 96 of that set produced, the least of the four. I use an off-site photo hosting service and post the link here.

Here is my photo of the Bandit Racing set from my computer uploaded there and the resulting hot link for forums copied and posted here.

Last edited:
Here is a curious recent acquisition. Apparently a four piece SFO promotional set for Farnam livestock and poultry farm supplier. I've only seen this one set and have no information other than what may be gleaned from the four scrimshaw knives themselves. There is no packaging such as individual boxes or a display frame for the four. Each is stamped with the serial "0062" which suggests salesman's samples.

The 502SC Sharpfinger has a cow and calf image on the handle and blade etch for "Z-tag" snagless livestock ear tags. This is the only one of these I have seen before.

The 507SC Lockback features a horse on the handle and Farnam logo limited edition blade etch.

The SC513 has a hen and chicks on the handle and a product blade etch for "Blue Streak" fly bait.

The SC503 lockblade has pigs handle art and blade etch for "Just One Bite" rodent poison.

Last edited:
Discussing these knives with other collectors, it came to my attention that there was a third issue of the 152OTO. I've not yet found that SMKW catalog to confirm them to have been the customer in 2003-2004, but it seems likely they were. These late order knives have the post July 2001 hollow grind and are only seen in the last box design.

Here are the SMKW catalog pages from the earlier orders showing the plain grind.

This 1991 SMKW issue, NIB complete, does not often find it's way onto the open market these days so it is a treat to find one even at today's inflated prices.

Did not realise that there was that many handle colors made in the sharpfinger model. Many years ago I bought one after watching a fur buyer use one. They really have a good fit in the hand. Enjoy seeing the different handle colors. Thanks for showing yours .

This 1991 SMKW issue, NIB complete, does not often find it's way onto the open market these days so it is a treat to find one even at today's inflated prices.

Have you ever taken a picture of ALL of your 152s? would that even be possible? how far away would you have to be to get them all into one frame? !!!

Over the years it has been often noted that the Schrade Sharpfinger was a favorite of the Hells Angels co-founder Sonny Barger. It even appeared on the cover of one of his books, "Dead In Five Heartbeats". Barger passed this last summer after a long battle with cancer. The story (with COA) of this one is described on the accompanying card, August 2003 production, serialized and blade etched with a facsimile of his signature.

Last edited:
While I don't collect the imported copies of Schrade Sharpfingers, I do notice them and try to keep track of them. This is the latest I have seen from BTI / Smith & Wesson (who bought the Schrade IP from former owner Taylor Brands in 2017). They eliminated the Schrade name from the tang, the shield and packaging. Instead, they went with "Old Timer" as the branding with their new hexagon logo design on the boxes and in the new unique shields and sheath branding. While I haven't bought one to compare in hand, the grind seems slightly different from it's predecessors though the MSRP has not changed appreciably.

Back