Schrade 165 DU Old Timer - Help identifying marking

Hey all. Just picked up a 165DU and it has a stamp on the hilt that I have not seen. Maybe someone here has. Below ia a picture of the stamp. (As best as I could show it.) The stamp appears as three squares. In the first are the letters "SC". Next is what looks like a fist gripping a hammer. Last is an "E". Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
bridge

stamp2b.jpg

Codger,
Thanks. But in the description the seller said it has "SCHRADE" stamped in the brass guard. This definitely does not say SCHRADE, but is as I described. The center symbol (between the SC and the E) appears to be a hand gripping a hammer. Have you seen this before?

Here's another pic, less blown up. May be a bit clearer.

stamp2c.jpg

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,
The Hallmark signifies 3 things. The SC is the hallmark for Schrade, The arm and Hammer is a trademark, if I remember correctly and the E at the end signifies the year it was made. All of the Hallmarked knives have this. I believe the E makes it that the knife was made in 1989. I had a Schrade 153UH that was hallmarked and it had a P, which meant it was made in 2000. Go backwards from P and that makes E a 1989 model. I'm not 100% on the year but I believe that to be correct.

The arm & hammer was the tang stamp of the Hammer Brand of New York Knife Co. Imperial later acquired that brand name and used it of a less expensive line of shell handled knives. So, Schrade would have probably had the rights to it through Imperial.
I saw a Sharpfinger on ebay that had the Hammer Brand on it. I think someone told me that it was a SFO for someone (SMKW?) commemorating Hammer Brand.

Dale

...I just got out my magnifying glass and the SC stands for just "Shafted Codger" in the last 10 seconds and comes on to rub salt into the wound...now ya'll be real careful handlin' that knife now ya hear Bridgy.....

If all the Ebay snipers were laid end to end..I would be real happy. Hoo Roo

To those who had something helpful to say,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. The information is greatly appreciated.

Bridge

Greg, it is difficult for me to give authoritative information about a knife I do not own. As you know, I do not yet have a 165DU. But here is the information from the 1988 Schrade Ducks Unlimited Hallmark sheet.

SCHRADE HALLMARK

Since ancient times, Hallmarks have been used to denote pride and craftsmanship in manufacture of precious items such as tableware, dishes, kitchen utensils and fine pocket cutlery.

Hallmarks usually took the form of seperate, distinct stampings on the handcrafted item and denoted the following:
1) Who actually made the item.
2) Where the item was made.
3) The year the item was made.

The first stamping is for Schrade Cutlery.

The second stamping represents our corporate logo, thereby signifying that the item was made at Schrade in Ellenville, New York.

The third stamping, the letter D, denotes the year 1988. Subsequent years will show succeeding letters in the alphabet in the same style as the letter D. On the 27th year, the Hallmark will again show the letter A, but in a different typestyle. It is common practice to use alphabetical letters to denote year of manufacture and simply to change the typestyle when all the letters of one style are used up.

Schrade Cutlery, the world's foremost maker of fine pocket cutlery, is proud to introduce these fine knives with our Hallmark stamped on the bolster. Since they are produced in limited quantity, they will become more valuable with the passing of time, while retaining their utility.

We are grateful for your confidence in our products and look forward to serving you in the future for all of your cutlery needs.

Therefore:
1985 = A
1986 = B (498DU, 3,500 ordered)
1987 = C (498DU, 3,500 ordered)
1988 = D (162DU, 2,500 ordered, reordered 1,060 U.S., 500 CA.))
1989 = E (165DU, 5,000 ordered) Carbon blade, Black Delrin handle
1990 = F (498DU, 1989 hallmark 600 ordered,
1991 = G (172DU, 750 ordered, 13DU, 3,000 ordered, )
1992 = H (PH2DU, 3,000 ordered, 14DU CA., 650 ordered)
1993 = I
1994 = J
1995 = K
1996 = L
1997 = M (171DU, 3,000 ordered) DU 60th anniv. etch, LTD tang, 60th logo stamp on plain sheath
1998 = N (SDU165, ??? ) UH handles
1999 = O (SDUPH2, ??? ) fibron handles, "birds in flight" etch,
2000 = P (DU153, 3,000 ordered) blued carbon blade, gold etch, black Delrin handle
(DU160, 3,500 ordered) UH Handles, UH shape shield, DU etch (may not be Hallmarked)
(SDU1LTD, 500) Serialized 000-500, PH2 burnt stag handles, Baron gold etch, canvas back decoy display
2001 = Q (SUD2LTD, 500) Serialized 000-500, 50 pattern knife burnt stag handles, Baron gold etch, Mallard duck decoy display
2002 = R (DU15OT, 3,500 ordered) Pierced blade - duck head, UH handles, lanyard hole, oval coined shield
2003 = S
2004 = T

As far as I can tell at the moment, Ducks Unlimited was the only SFO customer to request an annual Halmark knife, and often a fixed blade not in current production. A different hallmark type was used on the 'Benchmade '49er Series' of the 1970's.

...I just got out my magnifying glass and the SC stands for just "Shafted Codger" in the last 10 seconds and comes on to rub salt into the wound...now ya'll be real careful handlin' that knife now ya hear Bridgy.....

If all the Ebay snipers were laid end to end..I would be real happy. Hoo Roo

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Very nice knife, and I'm suprised at the low auction price. A non-DU 165OT in unused condition might have sold for twice as much. Perhaps if the seller had taken photos on par with Bridgeman's...

If all the Ebay snipers were laid end to end...
The advantage of "sniping" as largely been negated by the new system of automatic bid increments. The auction goes to the person who places the highest bid, not who bids last.

It shows real class on Codger's part to share that info with the winning bidder. And I hope no one here holds grudges about being outbid on an auction site. It's bound to happen from time to time, and a little friendly competition is good for our hobby.

Best Wishes,
-Bob

Codger,
Thank you. Your expertise is always appreciated. I would not have guessed that you did not have one of these yet and will pass on any info that I get regarding another.

The knife had been used and had a few small notches in the blade. It also appears that it had been stored in the sheath with resulting staining of the blade. It took a lot of TLC to get it where it is now. Also, I have removed the pictures of all but the stamp. I do not want to give anyone the impression that I was trying to rub anyone's nose in anything, and thank all that were able to contribute to my knowledge of this knife.

Greg

Yes, the blade was specified to be carbon steel, so some spotting is to be expected even on a 'NIB' example after eighteen years.

The low auction price was, in part, because a good number of prospective bidders recognized my ID and honored my bid. Sometimes this works for me, sometimes against. I did not get the knife because I put on a 'tag' bid then e-mailed the seller asing for the BIN feature with a week payment extension. The seller was excited by the number of views by then, and refused, so I increased my tag bid. Another buyer, Greg, vascilated for a week while the auction ran it's course, and topped my bid in the last few seconds. So now you know the rest of the story. There are however, 4,999 more of these out there (less the ones that burnt up in house fires, fell out of the boat in the lake, or had the handles replaced with platypus penis'), so I'll get one yet. And I'll put back a substantial bid amount for when a nice complete one comes up. But instead of a koala trap, I'll do my 'tag' bid, then use a claymore. :D

Greg! Put the dayum pictures back up! Please? Here is the proto file copy from Schrade.

Whats the problem with sniping (last second bidding)? I dont understand? shouldnt anyone be able to bid anyway they want???
Thats an ebay thing, probably better not on forum!! Dont want bad feelings toward fellow forum members.
The one who is willing to pay the most gets it in the end, right ??? Kinda surprised it even rates a mention actually?

Bridgeman congradulations on your 165UH, thanks for sharing it with us.
Cheers

shouldnt anyone be able to bid anyway they want???
If someone bids higher than me, whether on the first day or the last second, they're paying too much and they can have the damn thing. :D

Dont want bad feelings toward fellow forum members.
Exactly, but as I said it's bound to happen from time to time, perhaps on purpose, perhaps on accident. Especially since many of us don't have the same user name on eBay as on the forums.

-Bob

as I said it's bound to happen from time to time

Yes I guess your right, Ive missed out on plenty myself, dissapointing, but it does me good.

If someone bids higher than me, whether on the first day or the last second, they're paying too much and they can have the damn thing.

Thats funny Bob !! Remind me to keep an eye out for your ebay user name !!
Have good one
Regards Tim

In spite of the Hallmark sheet's inferring that there were three seperate stamps making up the hallmarks, there were three features on a single stamp as seen by this Hallmark stamp blueprint.

Also of note, while at that time, Frank Giorgianni was the Schrade Artist (and cleaned and sized the etch art supplied by DU for the template), he also prepared factory blueprints for the dies and stamps production by vendors.

Michael

Incredible Michael !! where do you get this stuff ?? I think Ill be pulling out my 165 UH ducks to have a look at it again.
Cheers Tim

Cool! Then show us the Hallmark sheet, registration papers, sheath, and complete packaging if you have it! This is my best picture so far of the set, but no joy on the papers, polybag, blade sleeve if any.

Back