Schrade 165 DU Old Timer - Help identifying marking

I consider Mike to be a friend, just some friendly ribbing.;) Mikes forgotton more about knives than I'll ever know.:thumbup:

True, true. And Kent has forgotten more about designing canoes, kayaks, and ice sail boats than I'll ever know. He be cool, he be cool!;)

Michael

Hello all. Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread. New here and trying to get my sea legs.

Okay. Now that we have all kissed and made up.... :barf: back to knife talk! :D Here are the pics I originally posted. Etch is a bit weak on the large duck at left and the DUCKS UNLIMITED wording.

DURightb.jpg

DUleftb.jpg

Cool! Then show us the Hallmark sheet, registration papers, sheath, and complete packaging if you have it! This is my best picture so far of the set, but no joy on the papers, polybag, blade sleeve if any.

Bridgeman
Looks like if a fine peice, nice photos, looks great, is etching faded a little? or is that just angle of photo?

Michael here is my hallmark I dont have any papers or box and need a clip for my sheath.
Regards Tim

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

I have an experienced collector friend, I ask him many questions about knives before bidding that I would otherwise know nothing about. I would never bid agianst him, nor him me.
Cheers

Tim,
Yes, the etch is faded at the left and top. Center and lower are still fairly strong. One thing I thought was odd is the blade seems to have the older grind (Walden grind?). Not really sure when they changed over. And that is one gorgeous blade there Tim!

Greg, yours has the correct sabre grind for the year. Tim, yours is from a different year. Check the Hallmark. 1998. Yes, etches were used several years, shrunken and enlarged for different patterns of blading.

EDIT: Darn you Tim! Now you've got me digging thru another file! Darnyoudarnyou!!

And...today's cookie for the gent (or lady) who can tell me what is different about Tim's Hallmark (besides the date).

Well, the lettering is a different typeset and the arm and hammer looks different. Other than that and that the first box of the hallmark is a little off, I can't tell.

Bingo! Not a steel stamp, but engraved. By a CNC it looks to me, though refinements in CNC machines since then would make it nearly impossible to tell the difference. I think you can see the bit chatter in the lines, and where the spinning bit descended and ascended at the ends of the lines. If someone out there knows different, please tell me I am wrong!

Michael

Good on you Tim it must be an Aussie thing that we never shaft mates,particularly one that shares all the research with us once he gets his hands on a knife..I just thought if he never gets another knife because we snipe him, he may not be able to offer too much more research...I for one will never snipe Codger in the last minutes however if he finishes bidding i.e. already outbid by another, I guess its fair game. He is much too gentlemanly to complain anyway.... I guess I call a spade a shaft when I see one. My last post on this subject....so Bridgy we've all kissed and made up as you say and it certainly makes for a trusting Schrade Community...Not. Hoo Roo

Good on you Tim it must be an Aussie thing that we never shaft mates,particularly one that shares all the research with us once he gets his hands on a knife..I just thought if he never gets another knife because we snipe him, he may not be able to offer too much more research...I for one will never snipe Codger in the last minutes however if he finishes bidding i.e. already outbid by another, I guess its fair game. He is much too gentlemanly to complain anyway.... I guess I call a spade a shaft when I see one. My last post on this subject....so Bridgy we've all kissed and made up as you say and it certainly makes for a trusting Schrade Community...Not. Hoo Roo

Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Mick me old mate, You should get yourself a Manager Pal and stop handling yourself......you dont say much but when you do you dont say much.......

Mick me old mate, You should get yourself a Manager Pal and stop handling yourself......you dont say much but when you do you dont say much.......

Gosh Larry, I thought I said alot. Well, let's try this one then.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something"....Plato
Now, hop on your sniping soapbox & say something. Boo Hoo.

Codger, I felt for you mate as you patiently waited for the inevitable again....you could have bid $180 and you would still have lost by $1 because the "win" is so much more important than the actual price paid the way things now are on Ebay.I tested the theory once again today on Schrade Davy Crocket..probably worth maybe $70 but I put $98 on it and sure nuff it was sniped at $98.50 as I was pretty certain would happen and as has happened last dozen times,I set the price the sniper is going to pay,as the runner up. and bears little relation to the knife value. I know this gets right up the noses of snipers everytime I mention this. Its the privilidge of being a 5 second sniper.!Its a sellers market at present,but I know you would really have liked that knife, as you dont have one to study. Hoo Roo

Well...I'll live without it. And I'll just move on to something more obscure until the next one or two or three come down the pike. This one didn't sell unless the non-knife dealer seller sells it off the board. Perhaps he'll relist with a reserve under a hundred. That is the maximum value I give that particular knife with all components. he etch is fairly plain with no gold ot fancy art, the handle is black Delrin, not stag or osic, or fancy wood. No fancy wood presentation box.

I did get a decent Schradebrand #5 this week. This is a George Schrade fixed blade hunter and completes the set.

I finally got one, 1989 hallmark. It appears to have a very bold etch and stamp, and be unused. I was the only bidder on this one, and while high (to me anyway), I did get it for the opening bid amount. There were however 148 views (ok, so a third of those were mine!:D ), and as you can see, it was not an obscure listing.

This'n will be my last buy for some time, and certainly my only one of this particular issue, so the other 4,998 belong to you fellows! Just remember, I'll be watching, and if you buy one as nice cheaper, I will be envious!

Michael

PS- Now where is that 165COPE? :confused:

Back