Schrade Extreme scbt02

Phil..I've been searching my vast emptiness of this subject.Trying to even come up with a possible angle,or?? But I'm intrigued as Hell.I've been back and forth a dozen times looking at the picture.Then you throw a Mel Gibson war movie into the mix?????

Intriguing question. I have a couple of G.I. M-7 bayonets by other makers that are marked on the guard, yours is marked on the tang, does that have something to do with it? Is this knife not government issue? If it is G.I., was it issued after we pulled out of Vietnam and therefore never saw service in the war? I give up.

Here is the basis (I honestly beleive) for the story that sawback bayonets are banned. It is in a passage devoted to WW1 German bayonets.

"A sawback model was made for NCO's (~6% of all troops) and were designed to be used as a tool (cut wood or barbed wire). In 1917, it was mandated that all sawback bayonets have their sawbacks removed (or have them used behind the lines). Otherwise, there were threats by the Allies that any german found with a sawback bayonet would be tortured or suffer dearly"

Phil

TX.....So were these bayonets issued? And if so maybe thats why the orders weren't given in Nam to fix bayonets,...but once?...They wouldn't let me serve in Nam because I was a sole serviving son...Not that I went kicking the door down trying to go to Nam.I was one of the very lucky ones that war didn't get a physical piece of.OR is this the whole crucks of this question about this Schrade "Worrior" ??????????

Please don't be pissed... the knife is a fake. These come up every once in a while. I see 'Cheaper than Dirt' has some sawbacks on their site right now for M1 Carbines... falsely advertised as 'issued' or words to that effect to lead one to think these are 'official' US forces bayonets.

These were made commercially by couple of firms. This particular one looks to be handcrafted out of an M7S and parts from a standard M7 bayonet. The end/pommel where it attaches to the rifle has been welded, rather than peened over. Guard is blued. If I had photographed this next to a regular M7S sheath, you probably would have caught on. Doesn't the issued bayonet sheath just make your mind think 'real military'?

Just an odd curiousity, and when is the last time you saw a faked Imperial product?

Phil

My hunch about the tang marking seems to be correct. This is a pic of a government issue Imperial M7 bayonet and it's marked on the guard not the tang:

imperialAR15-M16-BayonetSheath-NEW1.jpg

AR15-M16-BayonetSheath-NEW2.jpg

G.I. M7's by other makers are also marked on the guard, not the tang:

pix2340973094.jpg

pix60437687.jpg

US-M7-Bayonet-Sheath-New2.jpg

M7-Bayonet-M10-Scabbard2.jpg

PISSED.....I laught so hard I about crapped my drawers.It took my wife a full 5 minutes to get the story out of me.You know they wouldn't let me serve in Nam ,so alot of the military goodies didn't have the same alure to me as someone who did. I did meet this guy in Monterey, we did some plumbing on his house ,in the Army he'd put a bayonet in his teeth a flashlight in one hand a 1911 in the other and go into the tunnels after the gooks.He was technically a snipper but because he was small of stature, he would fit .A few beers he'd losen up and tell ya of the necklace of left ears he wore...he'd say out of all those ears I think only two ever heard me coming and it still didn't matter.He'd also say he really didn't like to shoot in the tunnels for an array of reasons. Phil your very right about the Imperial counterfeits,can't say I've ever seen one.Now those jokers are wondering how the heck did we miss that one.HA>>HA...Hey thanks for the lesson.. And Redshanks you were all over it dude....I'll yak at ya.Michael

hogdog said:
TX.....So were these bayonets issued? And if so maybe thats why the orders weren't given in Nam to fix bayonets

I think the reason is because they really didn't have to issue the order. Bayonet fighting is up close and personal. The kind of fighting that one really likes to avoid if possible.

Now, your story about the tunnel rat.......that is real up close and personal. Too close even for a fixed bayonet, (no room in the tunnel to swing the rifle). Thank God, I am a big guy! At 6'1" and 195 lbs in Marine Corp fighting trim I was way too big to fit in a tunnel designed by a guy 5' 2" and 125 lbs!

Dale

Hi: Dale ...Yea you wouldn't have fit very well ,and I did make a point of saying he was small of stature ,from the few talks we had he made a point (several times)that not many of the larger guy's really wanted tangle with him.Wether or not it was because,he was that bad ass or if they may be the next one in.This guy was real soft spoken, unprententious dude ,but there was something else , before knowing he was this cut throat little TUNNEL RAT he had this kinda air about him. Which if you really stop and think about it , killing someone at all,but up that close and in that way what it would do to anyone. This whole conversation got started because we were talking about hunting wild hogs with knives and dogs .One of the other plumbers thought we were crazy,and this guy started telling about his Nam experience.These guys hated the gooks in the most strict of terms,and by the way he explained it seemed to almost be a game,a deadly one. And to think they said close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and atom bombs.......and tangling with tunnel rats got to be in there some where. ...Michael

Michael,
I found out a long time ago that the really "Bad Dudes" were not the ones who talked about how bad they were, the really bad ones are the quiet ones.
When I got medevaced home I spent a week in the hospital at Clark AFB, outside of Manila, P.I. Half of the ward were Korean Marines. They were all amputees. All very quiet, all very deadly. One night the hospital showed a James Bond movie up on our ward. The ROK (Republic of Korea) Marines sure thought it was really funny. They really laughed at it.

Nobody I knew ever messed with the tunnel rats. Most of them were too quiet. I takes big brass ones to crawl down into a hole in the ground with nothing but a flashlight and a Kabar, and maybe a .45 to look for the guys who are trying to kill you.

Semper Fi,
Dale

My unit did it differently, NEVER a .45; our guys were issued a Colt Woodsman .22LR pistol with a suppressor.

Redshanks,
A .22LR makes a lot of sense. You must have been in the Army.
Sometimes the Marine Corps did things differently. They say "there is the easy way, the hard way and the Marine Corps way."
As I recall, I heard somewhere that some of the guys didn't like the concussion of a .45 in a tunnel so preferred a Kabar instead.

Me......I am content to fix the aviation gear. I did most of my damage to the enemy with a wrench. :)

Semper Fi,
Dale

Back