Schrade Scrims

Today on the way home I saw a sailadillo in the road.I'll get him Monday.Scales should be ready by then.What was your address again.I'll ship it Monday.There should be some dillo jerky by then for a bonus.Arnold

It would be an ambitious undertaking to try to collect all of the scrims of one pattern such as the SC513, nevermind all of them of all patterns.

Michael

Just wanted to let Paul know I'm working on the scorpion hides.I was having my first cup of coffee this morning when I felt something on my foot.Yep scorpion.4inches of terror.See I'll grab a snake,even a rattler,no problem.Played with trantulas all my life.Scorpions and centipedes make me scream like a little girl.My family thinks it's funny as hell.I'm the one that isn't afraid of anything.Anyway I flattened him a bit and am tanning the hide.Sister says she's never seen anyone broadjump out of a wheelchair before.Arnold

Just make sure there aren't any wheelchair tread marks on the hide. that would reduce the quality factor considerably.

Paul

Hey boys,

Here is a little trick. Just overinflate the scorpion, you know blow him up a bit too much (from the head, of course), and it will force the tread marks out of the hide.

You're welcome.

Bill

I have a yard full of peppers.Thought I'd plug a couple of my favorite American made Schrades.I used a 152 to case the hide,hard part was all those legs so I switched to my 18OT.The tail is tricky because the stinger comes out at the slightest touch.Think I'll use toothpicks for the stretcher.Arnold

Stretcher??????

What are you doing...taking him to the frippin' hospital??? :eek:

Good golly man!! Get to dicing!! There is a small window of opportunity for freshness you know...unless you're gonna smoke him first.

:)

Bill

You SMOKE them in AridZona??:eek: We prefer Kentuck and Tenn tobacco here in TenDuhSee. And not lefthanded twist either!

Well,

We only smoke them over mesquite...or maybe if we're crinking Mescal...it's about as good as the squiggly thing in the bottle.

Anyway, I apologize for straying off topic here, so here is a SC506 Scrim Barlow I've got...

25frk9j.jpg

I believe it was from 1980, and unfortunately, it is missing part of the scrimwork...I guess you could call it a Ducks Limited model. I like the knife anyway, and actually, I think Arnold's Armadillo ate one of my ducks...but I can't prove my knife was ever in Texas.

Cheers,

El Lob.........o

I use them dried as seasoning in chile.Burns going down,stings coming out.OH so good.Strechers spread the hide so it'll dry faster.Arnold

1980 is correct. Worn scrim just means that the original owner was fond of it. It is still a nice knife.

I never was fond of the mezcal worm. I usually lost the race to the last crink on purpose. I wonder how scorps would pickel in Crown? You know, Sublett and company used to throw a few rattlesnake heads, a few red peppers and some sugar into their rotgut rondevou whisky. Claimed it gave it just the right "bite". I think it made up for the river water they cut it with.

Codger

All this talk about the mescal worm reminds me of the little snake in Aboo Sake on Okinawa. Aboo sake is the bottom of the barrel and they dropped a little poisonous snake in it and wrote down how long it took to die. The shorter the time the "better" :eek: the sake was supposed to be. A bottle of this stuff was literally pennies, making it the drink of choice a few days before payday. You were supposed to get really drunk if you ate the snake............I think I would have to be really drunk to eat the snake.
Anyway, I never partook of the Aboo.........probably because I was never there long enough to go out into the ville. :D

Forum content:
I picked up two 36OTs today, one regular and one green Skoal, for a member of the forum.

Dale

Back